How Do You Keep the Motivation Going?

krupskaya

Gold Member
I'm a serial dieter I have to admit. Been to WW and SW and find them great to start with, stick with it 100% but about four months in I want to throw in the towel, rebel and end up putting all the weight back on. This is a real problem as I have almost four stone to lose so need to stay the course...Anyone have any wise words of advice? Ta!

I'm a bit of a youngin' and haven't got a LOT of experience, but I can throw in my two cents... I suppose not all suggestions are possible to follow due to circumstances, but here goes!

-Surround yourself (or at least have a couple of mates) by people who are there to support you and can be positive about your weightloss. :grouphugg: Even just having a special friend, even an internet friend across the planet, that you share your endeavors with can be a very comforting thing.

-Do you have a weightloss buddy? Mine's usually been my dad, but I'm moving in with my soon-to-be husband after we get married and he's a skinny rail... anyway! A buddy, somebody you see regularly who is also working on losing weight, can be good to have. Support and be supported. :patback:

-Post signs on your fridge, pantry, cupboards, etc. My mom has some that say "Do you REALLY need to eat that?" and "Just one please!" and "Don't do it!" Haha. Or better yet, hang a pair of skinny jeans in your kitchen somewhere if you feel brave enough. I may just do that after moving in with my man, haha. :D

-Put a sign on or by your scale that you would find to be encouraging. Something like "Get on track!" "You can do it!" or "Smaller numbers!" could motivate somebody. or it could be annoying, you choose! :p

-I think this is important!!! --> AVOID anything that might be DISCOURAGING for you. For me, it's looking at magazines with super-skinny, photo-edited models. I usually don't feel so hot about myself after seeing something impossible like that, and when I don't feel good about myself I find it hard to be motivated. So whatever it is that gets you feeling down about yourself or otherwise-- checking out somebody who you think looks better than you (at least, I'M guilty of that), being around somebody who is NOT supportive of you (and says things like "oh you don't need to lose weight! have a bite!" or "one bite won't kill you!" or "oh take a break it won't ruin your diet!" ugh), going to places that serve evil food you know you can't resist, etc.

-I read somewhere that if you're at a social event and are avoiding sugary/fatty treats and somebody asks you if you've tried something, just say "Oh, in a little while." That way you don't have to say "no I'm dieting" and then have them make a fuss over it.

-Always have a plan! Make sure your healthy food groceries are stocked and perhaps type or write out your own menu for the week or month, every week/month.

-Reward yourself every time you lose a stone or 1/2 a stone with a bubble bath, manicure, a nap, or something NONFOOD that you find rewarding or relaxing.

-If you are exercising, try to find a routine that a) doesn't hurt you b) isn't boring. And, if possible, change it up! I've used various Leslie Sanson DVD's along with Billy Blanks Tae Bo (when I'm more fit than I am currently). Make sure you have music that gets you pumped up if you work out to music. :)

That's all I have for now. Of course, you're probably sick of reading my words by now. :p

Good luck!!! :wavey:

Last edited:
Thanks for that MissF! Some excellent suggestions there. 2011 is going to be the year I shift this flab FOR GOOD!

Stop thinking of this as a diet, you should be on a healthy eating plan. What happens when you reach your ideal weight? Do you go back to eating all the pies? No. If you want it to be permanent weight loss then this is a plan for life. You need to eat foods that are healthy and that you enjoy, forget about junk food and exercise strongly every day. If it will help you then have a 'cheat' meal occassionally where you eat moderate amounts of your favourite 'naughty' food...just do not make it too often. Good luck

Thanks Zuma, good advice. I really need to change my attitude I know. SW is definitely more of a healthy eating plan than a diet. One thing I love about it is that it encourages you too cook from scratch with healthy wholesome food. Looking forward to homemade lentil soup, and a nice spicy chilli this week.

Hiya

I keep motivated quite easily...i'm very vain and constantly look at myself in a mirror.
I also measure my waist, hips and thighs and keep a little note of it, its motivating to see it going down and gives you a kick up the bum if it goes up!!

Alot of peoplei know have bought a pair of jeans/dress/skirt etc that they want to fit into and work that way!

theres lots of different things to do, it all comes down to what works for you!!

Kate x

I keep motivated by planning my meals ahead. I tend to write down my weeks worth of meals then do a big food shop for it all.
It also helps keep the shopping bills down.

I also keep a page to a day diary and fill that in as I eat.
I exercise and also take my measurements aswell as weigh in as sometimes the weeks I dont lose the lbs I will lose inches.

I have plenty of low syn snacks at home too so I dont go off the rails when I crave something.
And Me and a friend have our own facebook group where we share our thoughts, feelings, food diary and fitness log with eachother.
xxx

Attachments

• sw slogan.jpg
    sw slogan.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 42
Back