How do you know your ideal weight?

TrueBlueAngel

I WILL be thin!!
I was reading recently an article on the actress, Hannah Waterman, who has lost weight. She was 10st 4lbs and dropped down to 7st 8lbs (I think this is right). I'm thinking that currently I'm 10st 4lbs and 2 inches taller than her (I'm 5ft 5) and want to get to 9st 7lbs. Now I'm thinking that that wont be enough of a loss! I actually thought I looked pretty much ok as I was now I'm panicking. Now I have no idea what my ideal weight should be.
How do you all know and what about those who have already got to goal - is it an ideal weight for you?

This information was from my CDC on the first visit i am 5ft 5 which ment my ideal weight is 10.10 which i am now at.!
But would like to be 10 stone really.x

My old CDC used to say we'd know when were at the right weight. BMI is a guide but not the be all and end all as it doesn't take into account fat %. I was reading about celebrity BMIs the other day. About 80% of the females had BMIs around 16-18 which is very low. It's no wonder young people get a mixed message about what is a healthy weight!

I think you are your own best judge of what weight is best for you and you will probably know in yourself when you get there we are all so different in shape, size and build that what is right for one may not be for another. I would also take celebrity weights with a pinch of salt after all they can be whatever they choose to tell us!

x

I would also like to know what people who now maintain believed to be their ideal weight for height.
When I did the diet before I got to 12st 6 (I am 5'7/8") and even my CDC said we may need to review your target weight (of 11st which I thought was reasonable) as "we don't want you looking like a lollipop" - this surprised me but I will stick with it this time as I never felt I got to "goal" even though I felt better about myself.....
Anyone who is my height- what is your goal weight? Those who have achieved, did you adjust yours?

I was reading recently an article on the actress, Hannah Waterman, who has lost weight. She was 10st 4lbs and dropped down to 7st 8lbs (I think this is right). I'm thinking that currently I'm 10st 4lbs and 2 inches taller than her (I'm 5ft 5) and want to get to 9st 7lbs. Now I'm thinking that that wont be enough of a loss! I actually thought I looked pretty much ok as I was now I'm panicking. Now I have no idea what my ideal weight should be.
How do you all know and what about those who have already got to goal - is it an ideal weight for you?[

Good question! This is one that I always find difficult. I'm 5"3.5 and set my original goal with my CDC as 11 stone (this brought me into the healthy BMI range)

A few months back I went on the NHS website to see if the 'ideal weight' calculator was any good. Back when I was at my largest I wouldn't dare look at what my ideal weight would be because I was a looooooooong way off and feared it would make me give in. The NHS website told me that my ideal weight should be 9st 13lbs. So I reviewed my goal and decided to aim for 10 stone - this is still my goal and I'm 4 stone away exactly (thanks to the Christmas lbs gained!)

I went on my wii fit plus last night and was in complete shock that the wii fit suggested that my ideal weight should be 8 stone 7lbs!!!! :eek:

I think for me, I am going to take myself to 10 stone and see how I look and feel. Everyone has different body shapes and bone mass. I really think it depends on the individual.

Personally, I don't like figures and numbers to determine how I should look. I think the ideal weight comes from within. If you are happy - maintain. If not, do something about it until you are ;)

Hugs x x x

Hmmm this is such a wooly zone it baffles me

Im 5'4 and should be between 8 stone something and 10.6 for a healthy weight.

Im 11'4 and actually feel ok! and look ok im in 12's top & bottom BUT 11 stone something is doing my head in...i wanna get to 9'7 and then maintain ... i feel a size 10 is more attractive (to me) than a 12.

Different strokes for different folks and all that

Agree with above...celebs ,make it up as they go along ;)

My booklet says for 5ft 7 I should be 9st-9½st. But I'm a big bone structure. So I think I'll feel happier around the 9½st. That 7lbs makes all the difference on your bones.

Get to what weight you feel happy with.

NHS say anything from 8½st (low side) to 10st (high side) is a ideal weight for 5ft5 x

I think you will know when you are at the right weight!
Previously when i have done ww, my goal should have been 7st11 to 9st7, im 5'2". Well, theres no way im going to ever be under 8st, my goal is set to 9st7, but ill be happy between 9 and 9.7.
I also think it depends how much you have lost, and how old you are.

According to the ideal BMI chart I just looked at I should be between 7 1/2 and 8 1/2. Never going to happen! I have a very broad frame and I just don't think it is physically possible. I'm aiming for 11 1/2 and will see if I like that. If not I'll lose more but I'd be surprised if I end up 7 1/2 stone!

Hey
I think it's important not to get too caught up on the numbers. I now have a healthy BMI but I'm not fully cotent with my figure. There is a great difference between ideal weight and figure. Sure, I could lose another stone but I doubt I'd be content even though I would have lost weight. I'd rather tone up and start resistance training and remain this weight rather than being a lower weight and completely untoned. I think sometimes there is way too much emphasis on being an actual weight, rather than the actual figure itself.

If you put someone who weighs 11 stone and does strength training next to someone who weighs 10 stone and does no strength training, who are both the same height and body shape then there is no doubt that the person weighing more would look leaner. Therefore I think as you get closer to goal, numbers become less important. Think of it like this, is your own goal maintenable? The less you weigh, the less calories you need.

Hey
I think it's important not to get too caught up on the numbers. I now have a healthy BMI but I'm not fully cotent with my figure. .

So very very true. I know it looks like I'm going to the very low side of healthy BMI, but that's because I wont be happy only losing a stone. I want it all gone back to pre preg weight if possible.

I am 5'5 and I look best around 9 and half to 10 stone- any lower and I start to look ill as my face is slim and becomes drawn. TBH I am not so worried what I weight but what my body fat is and how fit I am- I prefer to be toned at 11 stone than flabby at ten. So I guess like others have said its quite an individual thing- depends on body shape/tone etc.

im 5'10 and i think they say my weight should be just under 11 st, my goal is 11 1/2 or thereabouts, my BMI is well in the healthy range at that and i know because i have a large frame that i look kinda ill if i go much under that, think even if i took all me skin off and was just bones i would still be no less than a size 10 lol
bodies are just odd things and as long as im comfortable in myself thats all im bothered about, if i told somebody i was just under 14 st now they wouldnt believe me as im tall i carry it well, i just wanna get rid of my jelly belly ;)

I thnk it also depends on how old you are - there comes a time when you have to choose between your *rse and your face, meaning it may be better to carry a little more weight on your body than to risk looking too gaunt if you lose it all off your face. In general, people do tend to look younger when they lose weight but after a certain age, saggy skin on the face and neck may have the opposite effect!

I thnk it also depends on how old you are - there comes a time when you have to choose between your *rse and your face, meaning it may be better to carry a little more weight on your body than to risk looking too gaunt if you lose it all off your face. In general, people do tend to look younger when they lose weight but after a certain age, saggy skin on the face and neck may have the opposite effect!
ohhh yes that happend to my neighbour!!! not good..shes late 40's and she actually looks better with a bit of weight on her ...but what can ya do :confused:

ive known people like that too, and im determined NOT to be like that!
although people have been saying for ages now 'surely you dont want to loose any more!' which is annoying!

Back