How do you make soup?

3106Catherine

Silver Member
Hi, I know there are tons of recipes here for soup, but, I do red days only and most seem to be more for green or EE. I really wanted to do the superspeed soup, but I can't have the beans.

Has anyone made it without the beans and what did you substitute?

Also do you blend the whole things or do you drain the liquid off?

Sorry but soup is not something I have ever attempted but would make such a quick and easy lunch for work with a slice of brown bread.

Would really appreciate any advice on this one.

Hi, I know there are tons of recipes here for soup, but, I do red days only and most seem to be more for green or EE. I really wanted to do the superspeed soup, but I can't have the beans.

Has anyone made it without the beans and what did you substitute?

Also do you blend the whole things or do you drain the liquid off?

Sorry but soup is not something I have ever attempted but would make such a quick and easy lunch for work with a slice of brown bread.

Would really appreciate any advice on this one.

you can still do the superspeed soup, just omit the beans and use just the veggies.

how about carrot and coriander soup which would be onion, carrots, veg stock and then when the carrots are getting soft a load of coriander.

when you blend you blend it with the water in it otherwise it wouldnt blend and wouldnt be soupy enough.

Or tomato and basil soup - onion, garlic, 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, a teaspoon of sweetner as tomatoes can be acidic and then add some veg stock (play it by ear how much you think it needs). add basil near end of cookingg. add seasoning and blend with all the liquid.

Thank you Britmum - I wasn't sure if the beans were needed to get the right soup consistency in the finished result.

Geordielass - Ilove carrot and coriander soup so I will try this one, it sounds like the adding of liquid to these soups is something of trial and error to get the right consistency so I will just give it a go.

Liquid in soups is definately trial and error! I like chunky and smooth soups but to get them really smooth I find I have to blend loads and add more liquid until it seems right or sometimes it can go bitty and not nice if its blended and too thick. Hth!xx

why not try chicken soup? if you have a roast just boil up the carcass so all the excess meat comes off then throw some vegetables in and blend it down

why not try chicken soup? if you have a roast just boil up the carcass so all the excess meat comes off then throw some vegetables in and blend it down

Thats a very good idea, I have yesterdays carcass at home so I will have a go later - will need to get some veggies, I assume you just boil in chicken or veg stock or is it plain water?

chicken stock for more flavour, I do (when im on plan) extra easy days so i use lentils in my soups too so they're more filling

OK heres another silly question, how much veg do you actually use/add? Say I boil this carcass later, how many leeks, carrots etc would I add? I can't use potatoes cos I do red only

Soup is so easy to make.
I tend to just chop up aload of veggies and meat and make it that way.
There are tons of red day soups.
Like Britmum says just dont add the beans or potatoes and it will be free.

I love chicken & veg soup.
Red pepper and tomato, carrot and coriander and brocolli soup plus you can make lovely onion soup too. xxx

I do loads of soups. If you use the biggest saucepan from the set you'll get about 3-4 bowlfuls of soup from that. Your veg should fill at least half the pan up to 3/4.

I just throw in my veg and anything else I'm having, crumble in my stock cubes and fill the pan with water, so you have about an inch free at the top. To speed things up you can add boiling water from the kettle instead of the cold tap water.

Bring to the boil and then turn the heat down to about 1/2-1/3 so it's simmering well, then leave until veg is soft.

You'll need to stir regularly otherwise it can stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. Once cooked I whizz all mine with a hand blender and season.

Marmite is another good ingredient to add for some flavour, big teaspoon of it plopped in whilst cooking.

3106Catherine said:
OK heres another silly question, how much veg do you actually use/add? Say I boil this carcass later, how many leeks, carrots etc would I add? I can't use potatoes cos I do red only

I usually use one onion, then 2 of each veg items I find is enough. It really depends on how much soup you want. you just need to make sure the veggies are covered in stock, especially if blending it all.

Thank you so much this really has been so helpful - I have already primed hubby that we are soup making tonight!!

With using chicken, I assume same as veg I'm just boiling it to get the meat off the carcass, I dont actually need to use the water afterwards as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I cook anything but for some reason soup stumps me lol

Back