How Do You Meal Plan??

I go food shopping 2 or 3 times a week which lets me make it up as I go along. I dont plan too far ahead, so as i'm walking around the supermarket I decide what I need to buy for the next few days. I'm not sure where my ideas fly into my head from, but I manage to have a very varied diet, even if I'm having a meat and 2 veg type meal (or quorn in my case) I'll buy different veg each time or cook them in a different way. If you have a good range of store cupboard type foods you can be really flexible too. I got some mince for spag bol, but ended up having a chilli by with it, served with rice one night and skinny wedges the next because I didn't fancy spag bol in the end!

The best thing to do, is start with your dinners for the week, then you can see what healthy extra's you have spare. It is also good for making sure you get plenty of superfree foods in at every meal.

I pretty much always use my HEb on a extra easy day on my breakfast, but do have the occasional green days, if I fancy an additional HEb etc.

I think it really can help to meal plan, as it avoids those periods of standing in the kitchen thinking hmmm what can I have today and of course you are less likely to then grab something you shouldnt, because you know exactly what you are preparing as soon as you enter into the kitchen.

Not to mention that meal planning can also save a fortune on your shopping bill, because you are only buying what you need and not buying what you MAY need.

I tend to stick to mugshots (if busy) and poached eggs on toast for lunch, the eggs/toast especially keep me from feeling hungry all day, then I vary my meals...have a few staples but am trying new recipes each week now and I try and have fruit/yogurt for supper or if I ate dinner very early then something on a pitta and some fruit.
I always do the shopping with dinners (normally Quorn/Veg) in mind first and then grab the lunch stuff, fruit and yogurts.

Id say I'm a 'messy planner' in the sense that different meal times determine my planning.

I buy in all my staples - Fruit, meat, veg, yogurts and snacks ready for the following week. Then my messy planning beings lol

For example my working days (Mon -Wed) is planned around my lunches which normally dedicates the day to being EE. This then gives me the freedom to cook what ever I fancy in the evening for dinner

The rest of the week is then determined by my dinners but as I am home I find making lunches easier.

I plan day by day and as long as ny cupboards/ freezer is stocked this isn't a problem.

Id love to plan for whole of the week, but I've tried and found that when it comes to a planned meal, either myself or hubby doesn't fancy it and I end up falling off the wagon.

Good luck

Don't worry if u find it hard to plan at first. I used to plan my whole week and shop on a Friday and then change it half way through cause I never fancied what I had planned or most likely couldn't be bothered to cook it...! I'm alot better now but It's use I tend to shop a few times a week and plan in little spurts instead!
As long as you keep plenty of the basics in and lots of free snacks you won't get stuck for choices. :)
Good luck xxx

Back