How do you motivate yourself? Finding it hard :(

muffinandsam

I've been on SW for two days now and Im finding it really hard. I've no doubt I'm well and truly addicted to chocolate and yesterday I just picked some up and scoffed the whole bar... yes I'm so embarassed :(
I just don't know how to make it easier for myself. I really want to lose the weight but its so hard :(
I'm getting really hungry and I feel like theres not much choice for me to eat. I'm doing the extra easy plan.

This morning my 5mth old woke me up at 5.30 like normal so I had breakfast at 7am - two weetabix a banana and a drizzle of honey (instead of my usual sugar).
I'm up so early that I'm ready for my lunch by 11am.. but I'd usually snack until after I've dropped my 3 year old off at school, but instead I had a jacket with tuna and salad at 11. so now I'm feeling peckish again and I'm thinking of having a mullerlight... but the thing is I've no idea what to make for tea (I've just exhausted the jacket idea) and how the heck am I supposed to make the next 5 or 6 hours without snacking?

I'm sorry if I've just made myself sound like a super piggy :(

I'm currently 13st 5 and a size 18 and I want to get back into my 14's like before my 1st baby, I want it so bad. I've bought a Wii fit too which is loadsa fun :)

I've been on SW for two days now and Im finding it really hard. I've no doubt I'm well and truly addicted to chocolate and yesterday I just picked some up and scoffed the whole bar... yes I'm so embarassed :( You can have 15 syns worth of chocolate a day, that's quite a lot. Work out the syns of the choc first and then enjoy it, that is what syns are there for.
I just don't know how to make it easier for myself. I really want to lose the weight but its so hard :(
I'm getting really hungry and I feel like theres not much choice for me to eat. I'm doing the extra easy plan. There is so much choice on the EE plan. You can have all the carbs, meats, fish, fruit, veg, beans, pulses - what is it you want to eat? What are you missing? Don't let yourself get hungry, this is where SW will fail. Eat whatever you want from the free foods list.

This morning my 5mth old woke me up at 5.30 like normal so I had breakfast at 7am - two weetabix a banana and a drizzle of honey (instead of my usual sugar).
I'm up so early that I'm ready for my lunch by 11am.. but I'd usually snack until after I've dropped my 3 year old off at school, but instead I had a jacket with tuna and salad at 11. so now I'm feeling peckish again and I'm thinking of having a mullerlight... but the thing is I've no idea what to make for tea (I've just exhausted the jacket idea) and how the heck am I supposed to make the next 5 or 6 hours without snacking? Snack all you like!! How about an omelette or beans and eggs and bacon? all free foods.

I'm sorry if I've just made myself sound like a super piggy :(

I'm currently 13st 5 and a size 18 and I want to get back into my 14's like before my 1st baby, I want it so bad. I've bought a Wii fit too which is loadsa fun :)

A bit of advice for you up there!! Please don't fret, read all your info and think of all the lovely things you can have. Do you have the magazine? There are some fab recipes and meal ideas in there. Look through the recipe threads for some inspiration, or some of the food diaries.
Please don't give up and don't let yourself get hungry. If you want a muller, eat it, if you want another meal, have one!!
Write a list of the reasons you want to lose weight, pin it on the fridge and read it. Put a photo of yourself slim on the fridge/cupboard and visualise yourself like that again!!
Chin up and don't forget to stay on here for advice and support!

You need to take a moment and plan. I know it's hard when you have small children, but that is what you must do. You can't say that there is not enough to eat on Slimming World - with all the free and superfree foods, there's just so much choice. I'm a total grazer... especially in the mornings right up to lunchtime. I never stop nibbling.

Do you buy the Slimming World magazine? If not, I recommend you do. If you do, then have another read of it. Not only are there inspirational stories in there, but lots of recipes for meals and snacks, and other hints and tips. If you're having a time when all you want to do is graze through the cupboards, use that time to sit down and read the magazine and have a drink of water or a cup of tea or a bottle of pop. Your cravings may have passed by then and you'll have new ideas and, hopefully, fresh inspiration!

At the end of the day, you have to find the motivation within you. Put a picture of you on your fridge so you constantly remind yourself who you are putting in all this fantastic effort for! Instead of picking at food, why not look through a few magazines and cut out inspirational pictures and make a little collage to hang up for you to look at when you need a little bit of pulling along. You can do this! Heck... you've GIVEN BIRTH! Dieting must surely be easier than that by comparison! You go girl!

Jaylou has given you some really good advice above.

I'd suggest maybe having a bit more at breakfast to keep you going longer. You could have your weetabix and then a boiled egg with bacon 'fingers' to dipp in, or some fruit and yogurt. I'd suggest having a bigger lunch as well if you are hungry between meals.

On EE there is a lot you could snack on. Cold meats, yogurts, fruit (melon is very filling and great for you), couscous cake, soup, packet of supernoodles.

My dinners are normally either red or green, so can't help too much with EE dinners. There are a lot of ideas in the recipie thread though. Some of my faves are;
spaghetti bolognaese w/lean mince, onion, stock, chopped tomatos
Roast joints
Pasta with laughing cow cheese mixed in and bacon
Mushroom omelletes and chips
Mince into home made burgers
Chilli Con Carne
There are some ideas for low syn curries in the recipie thread
Fish and slimming world chips
I could go on, lol!

Make sure you use your syns as well, so you don't feel deprived. I have found I've stopped craving chocolate now I've replaced it with other sweet treats and lots of fruit. I like merguine nests (2.5) crumbled into yogurt, low syn fruit fromage frais, strawberries and 4 tbsp aresol cream (1).

Don't let yourself get hungry, or it will be really hard to stick to as you'll end up feeling resentful. I got a note book and wrote down ideas for meals, syns and snacks and find it really useful to look there if I'm stuggling for what to eat.

Hope that helps x

Thank you for your fast replies!

I had the small books given to me but theres not really much in there about EE? I've registered with the website though and theres more recipes there but I'm struggling a bit to buy the stuff till I get paid at the end of the month lol... so just basically living on eggs and mushrooms and onion for the next few weeks... :eek:

I don't have the SW magazine but I'll deffo buy it at my next meeting on Tuesday.

I love pasta so hopefully I'll find something to make with past and meat lol... I really like basic stuff like mixing a tin of tuna and some mayo in - but we can't have mayo can we?
Does anyone have a good substitute for mayo?

Laughing Cow Cheese spread (can use as HEA) and tuna or bacon is pasta is really, really nice. I recommend giving that a go.

If you have large mushrooms you can also stuff them with laughing cow, chopped onions and chopped bacon and bake. Yummy!

You can have mayo, you just need to syn it - the extra light hellmans is only one syn for 2 tablespoons.
Enjoy it!

I have a 10 week old and a two year old so i know about the 5.30 getting up. i usually have either 2 weetabix (HEx B) and milk (HExA) or free yogurt and fruit for breakfast. I get hungry around 10ish usually and have a snack then, maybe a banana, or some ham, or if i've not had yogurt i'll have that. Lunch varies but usually 12.30 - 1ish and i have 3 egg omelette and salad or egg (and reduced fat salad cream 1.5syns per tablespoon) salad, or bacon and pasta. I'll have at least another snack in the afternoon when kids get home from school. piece of fruit usually hits the spot, then dinner about 6.30-7 and i try and do plenty of that too! Oh and i have a pudding 1/2 fat choc mousse (3 syns) or a free mullerlight. i promise you i used to eat all the time, but know i find i eat more at meals and have snacks when i feel hungry. i have discovered though if i start chocolate i can't stop (28 syns later one day!) so i know i have to not have it and look for alternatives (quark with 3 choc options (6 syns for the whole lot)is sooo lovely). i try and keep focussed on my reasons for losing weight, and i don't beat myself up when i allow myself something i would have labelled as "bad". Hope that helps?

Hi -

First of all - don't beat yourself up about eating the chocolate yesterday. 2 days is not a long time and trust me, it takes a few weeks to get into the SW routine (well, it did for me anyway!). See these first few days and weeks as a learning experience - finding out what suits you and you can work with.

As for motivation, you'll find that gets stronger as you lose the weight. Seeing the scales go down really spurs me on. Also, I am strict as to what allow myself to see as my goal. I don't look at the whole target loss I want because it's too daunting. Instead, I give myself mini weekly targets as well as event driven targets. So, I aim for 1.5-2lbs a week as a mini target, and my aim was to lose a stone before my holidays. I have 5.5lbs to go in three weeks. Only then will I set a larger intermediate target (say Club 10 etc).

But, for me - the main reason is to get back to my 'old' weight before I try on wedding gowns. So whenever I feel really weak I look at my left hand, see the ring my amazing man gave me as a token of his love and it makes me feel better (though trust me I have my moments of weakness too!).

SW isn't a diet so much as a slow change of life - it's an eating plan that can be maintained and it's amazing how you get into a new regime. I had longish break between starting at one group and joining my current, but I still shopped in semi-SW mode during my time out :)

Don't be sad or disheartened - you CAN DO THIS and WILL DO THIS. You will slip now and then in thr process but we ALL do so don't worry xxx

Hiya, I read your posts and find them all motivational. Everyone is here together and all have the same plan in mind. To lose weight and feel better about they body image.
I kwow the first few days are hard cause your body as been used to having its sugar fix and that gives you a boost. I have been doing the diet for 8 weeks now and sometimes I feel i need a little sugar fix....damn its like a drug. But what I tend to do as I am sat at my desk getting bored and need a fix and rather go to the vending machine for chocolate I go and have a choco milk drink. I know its naughty and to be honest I have no idea how many syns are in them but its my treat. I have one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Lots better than when I used to have 8 a day!!! lol
Anyway i think I am going on a bit here so sorry... :)

Hi, don't worry about the chocolate you can have it with SW just syn it from your allowance. I am doing EE too and am finding that the choice of free foods is endless, you just have to get used to the fact that you can eat it and not feel guilty afterwards. I would suggest you have a larger breakfast say, quorn sausage egg beans mushrooms etc after your weetabix or as your mid morning snack if you are hungry. Huge pasta salads with tuna peppers onions sweetcorn etc are all free too and very filling for lunch or just snacking on. Plain boiled eggs just kept in the fridge are a handy snack grab and go. Obviously fruit is good but sometimes you just need something that doesn't always fee like your eating healthy. I am haveing an Asda chickpea dahl curry (tinned for convenience) for lunch with rice and salad and its all free food, filling and tasty. Tea is a chilli and
jacket all free. With having the baby it's hard to find the time to fit yourself in, but you must. Doing this plan is important to you or you wouldn't be bothering, so try and make things in batches, freeze them or keep em in the fridge so you always have stuff to grab when time is short, or you are just too tired to bother. It will all click into place shortly and pay day will soon be here, so till then use the time wisely and plan your meals, do your shopping list and buy the magazine to give you ideas and insperation. Good luck hun xx

wow thanks for all the replies, you guys are an inspiration for me anyway - reading the loss you have already done!

LadyMhoram those ideas sound fab I might just give those a try :)

I've started writing down some meals I could try too, teatime will be difficult as my husband will not touch fruit or veg! He'll only have veg if its been smooshed, like as a pasta sauce or something, but any lumps and he just gags on it. So with lunchtime yesterday he was so funny, he walked in and saw the mushrooms in my omlette cooking and he went a bit green and said 'i dont want any dinner today i'm ok' omg! so I told him to stop being soft as OF COURSE id made him a seperate one with just bacon and cheese pmsl.... its going to be hard work trying to cook for him too :( we do like to live out of the freezer!

Ah well, off to write some lists for teatimes :)

I've started with my mum and sister so that's great motivation for me, we can allhelp each other - though looking at these forums I think there will be a lot of motivation and help here too!

I've also (maybe because I'm a bit of saddo) but labels on all the food in my work drawer (home isn't too much of a problem at the mo) saying R=5 G=8 or whatever the syn value is, then I know if I panic what the syn value is.

Some cool pasta recipes noted on this post, may just have to do some batch cooking :)

Good luck, and hope you stay motivated.

As usual I am in awe of all those people who have very small children and are dedicating themselves to loose weight. My smallest small was 5 before I decideed to loose my 'baby' weight.

Give yourself a break muffinandsam this is a long journey you have been given a map but remember it is always ok to stop and ask directions.

Back