How do you not feel deprived?

Sylver

It's only early days for me on the Extra Easy plan (I picked it for the title, don't have a clue how the red/green thing works) but already I'm feeling totally deprived and like I'm being punished!

I don't have a class I can go to so joined online and totally confused about what I can and can't eat (I thought when I joined I'd get sent books, etc but I was wrong so having to make do with about 30 A4 sheets I printed off, which is hard to follow)

My food diary for yesterday was:
Breakfast: 2 weetabix & milk (a&b choice)
Snack: banana
Lunch: apple (had brough packet soup but discovered it was gizillions of syns so didn't have any)
Dinner: Turnip, carrot, 2 x breaded chicken breast (14 syns)baked beans

I usually have a cereal bar for snack at work but threw them all out as if I have the weetabix, then I can't have another B option item that day. I don't like fruit & it doesn't agree with my tummy so finding that pretty hard to swallow (pun intended!):rolleyes:

Had eggs this morning instead of the weetabix for breakfast so I think that means I'm allowed 2 slices of bread as my b option today, it's all really confusing!

I don't know if I'm organised enough to stick this out, gonna be up all night cooking things for tomorrows lunch and tossing pages in the air trying to make sense of it all!

You need use your syns better to stop deprivation. You're ausing syns on things you shouldn't need to. Why have 14syns if breaded chicken when you can have grilled chicken for free? There are hundreds of things you can eat for free!!

You also didn't eat enough that day. You could have gone a grabbed a salad or something instead of just eating a apple for lunch.

Why don't you get a magazine & follow a 7 day recipe in it whilst you try & get to grips with it? As for spending all night cooking you can batch cook stuff so you don't need to do this, and if you can be efficient you can make dinner in the evening & when its bubbling away prepare lunch & brekkie for the next day. I do all 3 in about 30 mins now.

I'd really recommend you go to 1 class & get the books & have the introductry talk as well x

hi and welcome :D
I agree with the previous post about better use of syns, but my biggest tip is planning. I find i succed better the weeks I have planned my meals and shopped accordingly.
I also do on line so have the same pages and do find them quite helpful. i also get a lot of help of here, syn values meal, ideas etc.:D
try reading some of the diaries and seeing what people have etc ( I have a diary as it keeps me on track i think)
Technically you should never feel deprived cos there is a way to have most things you fancy if you make the right choices.
You can buy the books from the online book shop if you want them.
I am by no means an expert but the plan does work and if i can be of help just shout up, there is always someone on here who can help

Good luck xxx

I agree too. Plan your meals using free food first. Then if you need HE and syns come last. I use my syns for things like gravy, dressings and then treats.

The idea about getting the magazine is great or the thread on here about what people are eating

Today my meals are

Breakfast - bacon, weight watcher sausage, fried egg and toast. (2 syns and HEB)
Lunch - mushroom risotto. Free or Hea if you add Parmesan
Dinner - pork steak, potato wedges, broccoli, carrots peas

All filling and only 2 sins used

Good luck xxx

Hiya
I am going to reply in another colour within your message so I don't forget what I was going to say :)

It's only early days for me on the Extra Easy plan (I picked it for the title, don't have a clue how the red/green thing works) but already I'm feeling totally deprived and like I'm being punished!

this is the one plan you do not need to feel deprived on. You felt deprived as you used all your syns on your main meal. Its all about working out the foods you love and working around it. Now if I fancied breaded chicken which I used to buy all the time I would instead have bought ie

2 plain chicken breasts
southern fried cook and coat

what I would do is place the chicken breast on tin foil
sprinkle a little of the southern fried coating on the top
wrap it and bake it in the oven
take out of foil for the last 10 mins

this would be just 2 syns ish for the coating which is delicious tasty and low syns when sprinkled like this and taste fab

or I would have wrapped the chicken in bacon with all fat cut off baked the same as above - 0 syns

I don't have a class I can go to so joined online and totally confused about what I can and can't eat (I thought when I joined I'd get sent books, etc but I was wrong so having to make do with about 30 A4 sheets I printed off, which is hard to follow)

I don't go to class I go it alone with the help of this fab site and my friends on here. I bought the books off ebay, spent a few hours looking at recipes and diaries and printing bits off here and off I went. I find minimins as good as any class (my opinion) and in fact with my lovely friends on here I find it better :D
My food diary for yesterday was:
Breakfast: 2 weetabix & milk (a&b choice)
Snack: banana
Lunch: apple (had brough packet soup but discovered it was gizillions of syns so didn't have any)
Dinner: Turnip, carrot, 2 x breaded chicken breast (14 syns)baked beans

lunches - are you at home or work? etc. you could make a pasta salad? ie cooked pasta, chopped cucumber, peppers, onion whatever you like, extra light mayo (1/2 syns tablespoon') eat with lean meat, tuna?

I have gone blank but there is a thread in this section 'whats for lunch' theres a 'whats for tea' too they are fab to read and get ideas from.

I usually have a cereal bar for snack at work but threw them all out as if I have the weetabix, then I can't have another B option item that day. I don't like fruit & it doesn't agree with my tummy so finding that pretty hard to swallow (pun intended!):rolleyes:

I sympathise I was the same. suffered ibs for years and never had my 5 a day but I have found by gradually eating better and sticking to the sw plan that I actually eat more than 5 a day in fruit veg and salad :eek: seriously unheard of in this house :8855: I have a veg racked stacked with all sorts, I regularly try a new veg :eek:again unheard of... I even make celeriac (superfree) chips, I eat butternut squash :8855: seriously this is the lady that lived on crisps and junk and do you know what gradually my stomach adjusted and now its the other way round I am ill if I eat rubbish :)
Had eggs this morning instead of the weetabix for breakfast so I think that means I'm allowed 2 slices of bread as my b option today, it's all really confusing!

THats the one thing I do find hard on EE.. the only have one hexa and one hexb. But you could have ie egg, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms etc for brekkie,

then you have hexa and b for lunch ie a sarnie? with a side salad?

you could syn an alpen light as they are only 3 syns each and the fudge ones are yummy

or you could have a syn free yoghurt with some fruit (I know you said you don't do fruit but some are more gentle on the tummy) what about melon? strawberries? blueberries?

I don't know if I'm organised enough to stick this out, gonna be up all night cooking things for tomorrows lunch and tossing pages in the air trying to make sense of it all!

I just ensure I have a kitchen full of sw friendly stuff. Just need to sit and work out a list. ie I buy tesco value cottage cheese and eggs and make an sw quiche

1 tub tesco value cottage cheese
3 eggs
chopped onion, bacon, anythng you want in it(i do these in frylight first
mix together, i then slice a tomato on top and cook for around 25 mins on 200. syn free quiche, even yummier cold

hark at me waffling on, but a few ideas ? xxxxx

Sylver, I would recommend getting hold of the books, by going to class for the first week only or looking to see what you can get from ebay. With that information you can see what you can have for free and use that as a basis of what to have. There is loads of choice of free foods and as others have said, if you base what you eat around these you wont go too far wrong.

There is a sticky thread on here explaining the general basics of the plan, so have a look at that in the mean time, as well as other peoples diaries as well for ideas.

Ill be honest, it does take a bit of getting used to eating the sw way for the first few days/weeks and it does mean gettinginto the habit of cooking more from scratch. BUT it is quick to get into the swing of things and once you do it is really straightforwards.

Ps I eat hardly any fruit as it doesnt agree with me. You dont need to eat anything you dont want to on this.

agree with all above posts, I must say I have never felt deprived on SW, however looking at your food dairy for that day I know why you're feeling deprived.

as mentioned before base your meals on free and superfree foods, there's loads of clever ideas on here on how to make the same as you would normally have but better and SW friendly,

it does take a while to get to grips with the plan but once you do you'll wonder what the fuss was about!

if you like soup you can make some amazing superfree superspeed soups quickly at home then take it to work to heat up

basically your plan is.....

as much free and superfree as you need
1 hex a and 1 hex b a day
and 5-15 syns a day

I can make a 3 egg omelette and 1/2 tin of tomatoes in around 5 mins in the morning, before a 7am start at work, much more filling for me than cereal then I still have both my hex a and b to use.

keep a food diary on here then people can see what you're doing and what they can suggest to make things more SW friendly

can I ask what your 'dieting history' is? have you been on weight loss plans before or is this the first time,

I only ask because some people find the switch from WW to SW difficult and sometimes its helpful to erase the previous knowledge if you know what I mean,

good luck, I have no doubt you'll get it soon, and we're all here to help :) xx

Last edited:
I never feel deprived either,but I do put a lot of effort into evening meals. Tonights a special celebration of Mr working most nights for last two months solid. So I've spent today making everything from scratch ..

Beef madras

Boiled rice

Sw veg pakoras

Onion bhaghi.

Yogurt dip with cucumber coriander and mint.

Lime jelly

Only syns are jelly x

Try and think about what you can have not what you can't. Fill up on the things you can and if there are things you still want/crave then allocate your syns for them and or make slimming world versions of them.
I have and do feel deprived at times more so since getting to target strangely but at the end of the day it is worth making good choices to get the results on the scales you want :)

I suggest you buy a starter pack from ebay lihttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLIMMING-WORLD-STARTER-PACK-FOOD-OPTIMISING-BOOK-/300605388404?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Dieting_Slimming_ET&hash=item45fd7a3674ke this one it will help you out no end even more so than online membership :)

Here's our syn free curry fest! It was yummy. Lime jelly later

Beef madras
Onion bhargi
Veg pakoras
Boiled rice
Yogurt cucumber mint coriander dip

Effort but worth it x

Attachments

• image-2114419848.jpg
    image-2114419848.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 150
OMG deprived on extra easy?! IMPOSSIBLE!! Here's a link to my food diary, you'll see that I eat a variety of hearty food and don't compromise on taste http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...ne-pregnancy-breastfeeding-food-diary-48.html
If you're feeling deprived on EE you're either doing something wrong or your previous diet consisted solely of chocolate, white bread and fat! EE is literally normal everyday food without as much oil/flour/pastry.

I've just sat and put recipes and links on recipe forum here Under curry fest!

Thought everyone may as well enjoy as it get lost here

You can message me if stuck x

Happy cooking xx

I second everything that has been said here. I follow the plan at home. I never feel deprived, with SW if you are felling deprived you are not utilising the free foods to their full potential. I make sure I feel satisfied by making better choices within my meals so I have syns available for chocolate/crisps as well as salad cream, gravy etc. Most of my meals will only have around 3 syns max spent on them and usually much less.
Syns are like money, its your choice what to spend it on but somethings you buy are nicer than others! ;)

If you want the books, you can buy them from the Slimming World online shop as you're an online member :) Much cheaper than ebay!

I bought the SW magazine to help me out in my first week of SW - the meal planner gives you some really good ideas and helps you figure out what you can and can't eat.

can I ask what your 'dieting history' is? have you been on weight loss plans before or is this the first time, I only ask because some people find the switch from WW to SW difficult and sometimes its helpful to erase the previous knowledge if you know what I mean

I've been overweight forever, have done Weightwatchers 2 or 3 times before, most recently about 5 years ago. Didn't like the class part of it, I found it more disheartening than encouraging.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies, I'm getting the hang of it now I think. Weigh-in tomorrow so hopefully there'll be a result for my efforts.

hopefully you find slimming world group more motivating, I know for sure I do, always feel motivated to make a big pan of soup or a quiche when I get home.

like I say some ex WW ers find it difficult to have the freedom and getting used to free and superfree food rather than having to point almost everythign.

good luck got WI tomorrow, we'll be waiting to see your result xx

Back