How does it add up?

Ryantcb

I know that marmite is syn free as is rice. So i have been happily snacking on marmite rice cakes, just to find out that each bag has 5 syns! How is this when the ingredients alone a syn free? Seems flawed to me, anyone else struggle to work out the logic?

I guess the difference is you could eat more than a pack of the rice cake snacks but are less likely to eat lots of marmite, or plain rice. I've not explained that very well have I.... But I know its something along those lines. Abit like an eating apple raw is free, yet if you cook it it has syns.

Its to do with the energy density of foods - its the same reason that rice krispies aren't free even though rice is. You could easily eat a lot more calories from rice cakes than you could from plain old cooked rice. Plus, you would usually eat boiled rice as part of a meal, and therefore the rest of your meal would limit the amount of rice you eat, whereas you usually eat rice cakes as snacks, and therefore don't get the natural limiting factor of all the superfree food that you get in a meal.

The fact they are marmite flavoured is incidental - it doesn't really matter what flavour they are they will have syns.

Back