How has minimins helped you and could you have done it without?

Watergirl

Rock Solid
Was talking to my CDC earlier and she hasn't been on here, although I'm trying to get her on!

Was telling her how much this place has helped me and wondered how much it has helped everyone else and why. Wanted to hear people's stories.

My story is that I did it first time round without this site and went back to my old eating habits. This site has taught me about getting my head sorted out aswell, whereas before I saw CD as a quick fix.

The crucial way that this forum has helped me lose the weight is in the beginning I got support from people who I didn't know to get me through the first days. Then I became friends with people and we helped each through the middle stages. Now I'm almost at the end and seeing new people join and wanting to support them.

It's the kindest, most supportive place I've been to and I've never done a thank you thread, so this will have to do as one!
I've made some really good friends in the process.

MMs is such an important source of support for me. Every day when I log in, I thank Mini, the whole admin team and the mods for all they do to keep this site ticking and free!! I really think they should have a donate money to the funds option but anyhow..

MMs, the amaizng 1000-maintenance ladies and everyone on the General forum have helped me through some tough times. allowed me to help others (it's always nice to give back), I've made some fabulous friends, it's been a great place for me to write a really self-indulgent thread hence called the me me me thread (where I introspect to my heart's content and have made some fabulous discoveries along the way), and I have to say as a special mention introduced me to a lot of KD's fabulous posts. What would I do without MMs?

It's comforted me, made me laugh, made me feel 'less alone', been a friend, a place to vent, a place for me to just be me, a place to help others and try to stop them from making the same mistakes I did, a place to hear about other's experiences, to see what the road ahead could look like and how to avoid some of the ditches I fell into last time. Quite frankly I heart MMs

I'm going to shut up because I must go to bed.

Last edited:
Great post Laura :) and I echo a lot of what you've said. Mini is fab too and all her supportive messages are much appreciated!

I log in everyday. I love reading about other peoples' stories and how peoples' lives are changing. It's great to watch it as it's happening. Nice place to be, positive place to be :) x

Its great for me, I will read and post messages when I am sitting in front of the TV in the evenings, which used to be my worst time for constantly picking at food and regularly breaking other diets.
After an evening out I usually feel a bit peckish so I log in whilst I am having a shake.
I used to have a theory about living alone; its good that I don't have to store/cook food for others, but sometimes I felt that it lead to (or exacerbated) a feeling of real or imagined hunger when on a VLCD. I think that minimins has given me a round the clock support system - after all I could read or answer posts at any time in the night.
Thanks Watergirl for an interesting question to consider.

When I started CD in Nov 08 I didn't know anyone else doing it... had no support until I discovered minis in Dec. I lurked for a while, had nver used a networky site before, then at end of Dec hit a major wobble/ binge and posted about it on minis... got so much supportive feedback which opened up a whole new area for me to look at. As others have said, it is the head-work that makes the biggest difference, the changing habits and finding ways to break old patterns, find new ways to go forward without using food as a crutch/ addiction. So from that point on, minis was a huge help and a way to LEARN. Some great mentors, like KD, Serena, Lostris & others from the maintenance boards.

And many friendships made along the way, people I guess I'd never have met in the 'real' world, but who understand, offer support, encouragement, advice, knowledge. Minis has been a life-changer for me. Thanks to Mini & all who have made this site so special. I'd recommend it to anyone.

xxx

It's true about getting to meet people you might not have met in the real world. It's definitely the friendliest site I think - people are very aware that your emotions can be up and down on the diet and tactful when offering advice - as we all know, weight can be a touch issue.

I got on another site, not weight related, which isn't as friendly.

For sure I don't think I'd have stuck to this as well without the support of you guys on here; you're a great bunch :D

And I agree; I'd kick a few quid in to help cover server fees! Get a Paypal link going...

I found Minimins when I was searching for info on LT, after reading post on this site I started LT the next day! I moved to CD and needed to find a new CDC - and I found her on Minimins (she is wonderful and such an inspiration!!);)
Everyone on this site is so supportive.
I have some off days but coming on here and reading other peoples posts lets me know that I'm not alone.
Also I have found the posts by KD informative and helpful.

So thank you Minimins for helping me take the 1st step to losing weight :thankyou:!

Almost feel a bit emotional when thinking of how minis and cd have helped me so far. I only found cd through minis and i know for a fact that i wouldn't have done this diet without the information and support on here. Seeing other people in the same position, being so honest, open and friendly towards others has really allowed me to be honest with myself about my weight problem for the first time ever. Being able to accept that i had addictive behaviours around food have allowed me to begin to try to make the 'head' changes which will hopefully help me long term be who i want to be and feel in control of my health. Lets face it, for most of us thats just stuff you do not talk about to anyone.I know its still early days for me, but i am so determined, and listening to the wonderful people on here who are maintaining make it feel achievable for me too. I use minis daily and miss it if i can't get on- my new addiction! I can't imagine how anyone could do this diet without such support- must be tough..Thanks everyone xx

All sentiments shared. This site recommended to me by the person who inspired me to try CD. In week 3 and I couldn't have done it solo, or even just with support of family & friends. I feel part of a strong, vibrant, funny, happy and helpful community. Meeting folk you wouldn't ordinarily meet is wonderful - breaks down barriers, social prejudices and is enlightening. I have already begun to PM one or 2 members & know we will become friends. Also want to thank KD for her posts, which I find very helpful and informative.

What more could we want folks - slimmer, healther us and socially enhanced too!! Tx

When you think about we're all sharing our most intimate thoughts. People in RL don't often talk about weight, it's a bit of a taboo subject really. It isn't on here and nothing is off limits.

I found it when looking for info on cd and others stories on here inspired me to start cd with my head in the right place. When you join ww etc you usually have a group that have a chat at the end of the talk but I wouldn't have told them half the info I have shared with you guys on here. Come to think of it it's usually a polite hello and well done to each other at ww groups. I just think without this forum I wouldn't be half as strong mind wise and it has helped me so much with regards to support and advice. I have met some great people on here which I'm sure I will meet up with some day.

Minimins is fab and I think It will always be a part of my weight control success even in the future when I am maintaining.

Thanks to all the minimins team that keep this site running and to all you guys which make it such a great place. xx

Back