How I used to eat before SW.

Delayed response from me after our discussion Elizabeth :eek:

Wowsers- your right though hun, I thought my pre SW was hefty but I think you would have eaten me under the table!
However mine is pretty horrid too :mad: :eatdrink023:
Ok mine is .....
Pre Sw -
Breakfast - 2 bacon butties in large white rolls ( around 5 inch diameter) with butter

Mid morning - 2 mars bars or similar

Lunch - Cafe bought lasagne and chips (man size portion )

Mid afternoon - 1 pack of 'grab a bag' size walkers crisps

Dinner - 2 large Pork chops in gravy with mashed potato made with butter

Snacks watching TV - large size bag of Minstrels or large bar Galaxy choc

Now its more like

Brekkie - Muller yoghurt with chopped banana and peach

Mid morn - 1 alpen light and strawbwerries

Lunch - wholewheat crackerbreads with dairylea light cheese triangles

Mid Aft - A pink & White

Dinner - baked potato with beans with salad followed by SF jelly

Pretty amazing changes but as you have said - bar the choc - its the same sort of eating pattern!

Wowsers- your right though hun, I thought my pre SW was hefty but I think you would have eaten me under the table!

I'd have probably eaten the table too! :D :D

Pretty amazing changes but as you have said - bar the choc - its the same sort of eating pattern!

Yeah, I find that very interesting, it just goes to show that some basic healthy choices can make such a difference. Hopefully that will inspire anyone who's struggling a bit, or just starting out. :)

heres mine LOL

pre slimming world
Breakfast - nothing
Snack - 2 packs hoola hoops
Snack - chocolate mouse
lunch - nothing
Snack - snicker duo bar + pack of hoola hoops
Dinner - Half of a full lasagner (enough for 6) so 3 peoples worth + chips
Snack - big bag of chocolate aeros or a big slab of fruit n nut chocolate
Drinks - 6-7 cans real coke
(3/7 nights dinner would be takeaway)

Slimming world
Breakast- bran flakes + semi skimmed milk
Snack: apple
Lunch: jacket spud + beans and salad
Snack: Mullerlite
Dinner: slimming world potato and chicken curry

Drinks 6/7 pints of water
(1 out of 7 is treat night and save syns for it)

obviously sometimes i go off trck but thi is first tinme really thought what i used to to eat! bad eh

This is a typical day for me with the common denominator being cake :D:D

breakfast quite healthy I think a big bowl of bran flakes with semi
it now goes downhill
mid morning either toast and butter or half pack choc digestives or 2 home made muffins
Lunch, sandwich on white with butter
after lunch if went shopping would buy mars bar and bounty eat on way home also buy pack 10 donuts when home eat 2 straight off an hour later would eat another 2
while cooking dinner more choc digestives
dinner would be spag bol with loads full fat grated cheese and garlic bread on te side
after dinner another 2 donuts leaving 4 for the kids :eek:
in the eve more choc biscuits maybe a penguin or 2 and a couple large glasses red wine

now (taken from todays diary)
1st thing
Banana
Breakfast
2 1 syn sausages 2 syns
2 ex lean bacon
2 eggs fried in frylight
mushrooms ""
Lunch
tesco value chick tikka chunks half pack Free :)
salad
helmans ex light mayo 0.5 syn
shape 0% yogurt
banana
Dinner
ham mushroom and onion omlette
with 42g low cheese HeA
227g jacket spud HeB
salad with ex light mayo 0.5 syn
eve snack
2 alpen light HeB
14 mikados 7 syns

It makes me feel sick thinking about all that cake!! although I still do have a thing for cake :( maybe one day I will be able to resist completely

Wow Elizabeth. That is an incredibly brave and honest post!! :worthy::clap:

My actual food hasn't changed that much really-except I eat a LOT less ready meals and pizza now :eek: But my snacks are much, much different. I could happily sit and eat a whole, big bar of chocolate just watching tv, loads of crisps, packets and packets of biscuits!
But now I snack on things like fruit with yogurt, Alpen lights, Weetabix... Still have the odd bit of chocolate, but things like Freddo's or a couple of Hotel Chocolat chocs. I do save up a few syns to have a 'normal' size bar of chocolate at the weekend tho-something like a Boost :)

I feel SO much happier about my eating now I'm doing Slimming World. I finally feel like I'm in control of what I'm eating and choosing the right foods.
Kelly.x

Hmm, I'm noticing a common denominator here with some of us and crisps - they were absolutely one of my biggest addictions, I could easily eat a six-pack of Walkers cheese and onion in one sitting (and use a couple packets to make sandwiches in the process!)

I pretty much had to cut them out completely for months while I was on the plan, I just could not trust myself to stop at one packet. Nowadays I have them once a month on payday, but I buy slightly 'healthier' brands like Tyrells that don't contain lots of additives and stuff like the cheaper brands. I find I can thoroughly enjoy these and leave it at that.

I didn't eat that badly so it annoys be that I got so big (23 st)

No brekkie or 2 toast with low fat spread.

Cheese or egg bap with salad, crisps and a chocolate bar.

Stir fry or casserole with lots of veg and boiled / jacket potato or rice, or pizza and garlic bread or fajitas.

Not great, I'll grant you, but not horrific either. All low fat spreads and sauces, I was veggie and no puddings. Takeaways maybe once a month at most.

I just wish I had really enjoyed my weight gain by not being veggie sooner and therefore eating pasties and sausages rolls and pork pies and bacon sarnies! lol

My changes are not that dramatic, I've always had semi skimmed milk, no butter on bread, not had crisps etc and my meals have been loosely based on SW (having done it in the past!)

My big changes have come with treats and take aways on a weekend. When I was on my own I would think nothing of having lots from the chinese, a couple of main things and lots of side dishes and eat it to myself. A big bag of doritos and a pack of full fat dips. A huge bag of chocolates or a box of chocolates. Meals out with my daughter each weekend. A cake and sandwich every time at Starbucks or Costa.

I wish I could say that SW has made me not want all of those things but I can't. I can still eat all that. I sometimes do (although I share with hubby and daughter now!) but I am educated enough by SW to make a choice.

I choose to have salsa instead of sour cream dip. I choose to have carrot sticks instead of crisps. I choose a veg chow mein or tandoori chicken instead of something in a rich sauce. I have a regular bag of chocolate and I don't always have a cake at Starbucks!

I sometimes give in and eat a lot, I can still binge although it's in moderation but I've pretty much kept this weight off for 2 years now and I thank SW for that!

The problem with me, and has been the same all through my life is not how much I ate but what I ate.

I can pretty much say I NEVER ate meals - it was one unhealthy snack after another. I'd go to the shop on the way back from taking the kids to school every day and buy enough rubbish for the day and just eat it all day long. Chocolate, biscuits, crisps, icecream, full fat coke and at the most a prawn mayonnaise store sandwich.

Evening times I never ate meals with the family but would go to bed later with a shopping bag full of snacks to eat in bed, more chocolate, cheese balls, full fat yoghurts, coke, ice lollies.

It's no suprised I am the size am really all that considering.

Now its all so different

Typical for me now might be

Breakfast 2 weetabix with SS Milk and a banana, sometimes two chopped over them.

Mid morning Snack, fruit, fat free yoghurt or something like a mug shot.

Lunch Quorn peppered beef slice sandwich made with 3 slices of WW bread, tomatos, cucumber and lettuce and extra light mayonnaise (2 syns)

Snack more fruit, boiled baby potatoes, or fat free yoghurt.

Dinner Quorn syn free sweet chilli with boiled rice

Treats Generally

Sugar free jelly and yoghurt made together
Solero Ice lolly 5 syns
alpen light bar 3.5 syns
snack a jacks 5 syns

Great thread Elizabeth! You have done so well to turn your eating habits around, you must be so proud of yourself :)

Before SW a typical weekday would be like this:

breakfast: a can of Red Bull or Monster (full sugar) with a Kit kat chunky or 4 finger kit kat
mid morning: sausages on a white roll with butter and sauce from the sandwich shop near my old work, sometimes just another choco bar, with a cappucino from the coffee machine + real sugar
lunch: packed lunch of white or seeded bread sandwiches, a biscuit of somekind, crisps, a yoghurt.. then after that I'd probably go to the vending machine for Minstrels or something, bottles of Oasis too
afternoon break: sometimes another kit kat from the vending machine
evening: biscuits, crisps, toasties, sandwiches.. anything I found in the cupboards really and this was before dinner
dinner: whatever my mum had made lol pasta bakes, burgers, pizza and chips etc
after dinner/watching tv: more biscuits, more bread, crisps, sweeties like haribos or whatever I could find in the kitchen!

And I would wonder why I felt so awful and had heartburn and wanted to sleep for 2 days straight after it all! The weekends were even worse with takeaways for dinner, fry up with oil and sausages for breakfasts, cupcakes, cookies, Ben and Jerrys, cider, full fat sodas, you name it I ate it :(

Now this is what I have:
breakfast: porridge or a fibre bar or some fruit, with a coffee and s/s milk + sweetener
lunch: brown bread sandwiches with lettuce, tomato and ham followed by a fat free yoghurt, fruit, packet of Pom Bears or Skips - 4 or 5 syns each
dinner: home made chillies, spaghetti bolognese, or pasta bakes, steak and slimming world chips etc etc healthy low syn/syn free dishes with lots of veg :)
snacks: Mikado's, fruit, yoghurts, pink + whites - still getting a wee bit of a sweetie fix but nothing as bad as before!
drinks: all diet drinks + only water at work

I guess I'm lucky because there are no shops near my work and no vending machines either, I've moved office since starting SW, so what I bring to work is all I have to eat so I can't snack out of boredom (bored at work who'd have thought it..) I don't think I could ever really go back to eating that way, as I now know the damage I was doing.

OK. Here goes:

Pre SW:

Breakfast - generally skipped, but once maybe twice a week, a sausage and bacon sarnie from the van up the road from the office (with slices of bread at least an inch thick).

Mid morning - three cans of pop (full sugar normally), three mars bars and a couple of small sausage rolls, maybe a pack of crisps (or 3 if i have them to hand).

Lunch - sandwiches, susage rolls, crisps, more pop.

Mid afternoon snack - mars bars/chocoalte any left over susage rolls

When i came home from work i'd stop at the shop and typically get another pack of crisps, maybe a box of cakes, some pork pies, and loads more chocolate (i'd say at least £5 a night).

Dinner would be a large kebab with chips or wedges, or pizza with garlic bread or two meat dishes and a portion of rice from the chinese, or chips in the deep fat fryer and some processed junk food on the rare occassion i cooked at home.

As this would typically be at about 11pm - there wasn't an oppurtunity to snack again before bed.

No wonder really i weighed in at over 27.5st when I joined SW in December 2008 is it?

Now:

Breakfast - still skipped - i've not eaten breakfast since i was 15, i'm not going to start now

mid morning snack - one or two pieces of fruit, maybe a pack of walkers french fries (4.5syns), hi-fi bars or alpen lights if i have them and on a green day.

Lunch - scanbran and cottage cheese, or salad, or mugshot

mid-afternoon (if i'm hungry) - another one or two pieces of fruit

evening snack after i get home (I can't walk in the door and cook - need a chance to unwind and relax, but at same time need something to nibble on) - fridge raiders or suishi (if i'm hungry)

Evening meal - typically something syn-free (with one or two HeB's on red days), followed by muller lights

later in evening - 2HeA of cheese (assuming i haven't used one for lunch) sliced and served on sliced up apples.

You shared my love of pastry then, Ian. :D It absolutely boggles my mind now that I could sometimes eat 3 cornish pasties a day.

You know it's occurred to me that, given the amount I used to eat on a daily basis - I'd guess I was probably taking in around 7000-8000 calories a day? - it's sort of amazing that I 'only' got to 19st! I did have an active job and I used to walk to and from work every day, so that would have burned off quite a bit, but I think my metabolism must work quite efficiently as well. Once I changed my eating habits the weight came off at a good rate, and is still doing so - I lost another 2lbs last week even though I'm now under goal - I thought it had speeded up due to carbs but maybe it was always quite efficient.

It's really fantastic to see the positive changes people have made due to the SW plan ... it's really not just 'a diet', is it? :)

Pre Sw

Breakie - Backon buttie, fried eggs, 4 slices bread and ketchup. Cup tea, 2 sugars and half a tin of biscuits.

Mid morning - usally a cake and sausages rolls & a pizza slice from greggs or cakes and chocolate.

Lunch at pub - double bbq chicken, bacon and cheese with chips, peas, onion ring and garlic bread. followed by a pudding for 2 people.

Dinner - chinese - chicken chow mein, chips, sweet n sour battered chicken balls with sauce.

Snacks in the evening - caburys caramel choc - big bar, pringles and cider a more biscuits b4 bed with a cuppa.

Now on SW

Breakie - fruit bowl, strawberries, banana, apple, kiwi and natural yoghurt.

Lunch - beans on toast.

Dinner -cheesey cajan wedges, lettace and cucumber and extra light mayo.

Snacks - options hot choc, yogs and fruit.

No wonder why i ended up at 17st!

choc up some potatos into wegdes. season in a bowl with swarztch (cant spell) cajan shots (purple lid) and shake well. pop onto a tray sprayed with fry light and cook for 30-40mins, keep shaking and turning. i add my HE of cheese at the end. Yummy!!

Back