How long can you take Xenical for?

Kay C

Hi, I have been on xenical since May, and have so far lost 2 stone, I went for my monthly weigh in with the nurse at my doctors this morning, and she asked me how long I could take xenical for? I must say, I was surprised that she didn't know the answer to that herself, but it got me wondering, how long can I stay on it? Ideally I would like to carry on until I reach my target.

Hi there, I have only been on them just over a week so not sure. My friend has been on them a year & has lost around 5 stone & thinks the Dr will stop them soon. She probably still has around 2 stone left to lose til she's where she dreams of being but she now only takes them if she thinks she's had anything "naughty". She says what they've done is retrained her brain... Well done on your loss so far x

Well, I actually think it all depends on your GP and your BMI. When your BMI drops to 28 and below they will cut you off, as that's a healthy BMI..but, It's also been said that you can take Xenical for a year.

I've been seeing my Dr for Xenical for 13-14 months, (although I don't use it at the moment, I'm just keeping the pills for when I need to maintain) and there has been no talk of stopping it. It could be to do with your weight that they'll continue it for longer or maybe they stop it for a few months then pick it up again.

Because I switched from Xenical not long ago to do TFR. IMy Dr doesn't know, she still think I'm on the Xenical, I'm keeping the pills for re feed and maintance :)

Total food replacement

And you shouldn't take xenical for more than a year according to my gp without taking a 3-6 month break...

Yes it does take will power, more so if you are surrounded by food and preparing for other people.

My friend who did it was single at the time & lived alone so she admits that made it much easier, I still don't think I could do it! I have admiration for anyone who can!

i did tfr for 10 weeks... lost 3.5 stone... was 12stone abd a size 14 at the end... ive put it all back on plus another 3 stone.... would never do it again... my hair fell out.. my breath stunk and i had a period the whole time i was on it!! my doc said 2 years for xen aslong as i hit the targets... but the leaflet inside says 4 years!!

I have to cook for my 2 children and shop so in that respect it's harder seeing the cupboards full of food, but it does get easier as time goes on....on the up side I love that I'm not hungry and I love not having to deal with food for myself, it makes things a lot easier for me, and was one of the reasons why I chose to do it.

Unlike Tegzy...my breathe doesn't smell, my hair isn't falling out and my periods have continued, they're more regular know and I have a lot more energy, that's probably because I'm getting all what my body needs nutritionally via the packs. Not everyone experiences the side effects and they're not that common, feeling cold especially in the hands and feet is more common, but I don't get that either lol!

I too never got the bad breath or coldness... My hair became really shinny and nice and my periods became regular when I started losing weight so that was good.

Back