How many Calories do you have a day?

laurawalker85

Hi All,

For some reason my body is no longer taking to the wonderful SW diet and have to start calorie counting which I think will help my portion control which I have always had a problem with. Can you tell me how many calories you have a day and what you would advise?

I generally have around 1200. Sometimes a bit over, sometimes a little less...sometimes alot over!
I think alot of it is mathematical, if you can work out your Base Metabolic Rate, then subtract cals for how much you want to loose a week (I think 3000 is a pound?) then put it in practice and see how it works. I also use a website called Myfitnesspal that works everything out for you, and then you can tweak it to fit you personally.

Good luck!

To work it out, calculate your BMR (loads of calculators online that do it for you based on your sex, age, height, weight and activity level) then subtract 500 calories a day to lose 1lb a week, or subtract 1000 calories a day to lose 2lb a week.

This is the official science/maths behind it, and definitely the best place to start, but I think most people will tell you that you don't have to be exact. I recommend you start on the number of calories it advises to lose your desired amount each week; see how it goes, then tweak accordingly. To be honest, you don't have to go crazy and stick so rigidly to it that you have zero social life.. I went a bit mad last Monday, I ate loads, including a whole bacon double cheeseburger pizza from Dominos AFTER my dinner, and I've still lost over 2lb this week by being good the rest of the week. It's about trial and error and finding out what works for you x

I prefer a minimum of 900 and a maximum of 1200. But like others have said, it depends on your age, sex, height, weight and activity level.

The beauty of calorie counting is nothing is off limits and you are in total control. I use myfitnesspal to log my foods, quick easy and has definitely helped me so far. Minimins and MFP are the best thing I found when I decided that I'd had enough of the weight!

Hope calorie counting works for you

To work it out, calculate your BMR (loads of calculators online that do it for you based on your sex, age, height, weight and activity level) then subtract 500 calories a day to lose 1lb a week, or subtract 1000 calories a day to lose 2lb a week.

This was helpful to me. [:

[:

x

I'm deliberately very low because of a health issue that makes it incredibly difficult for me to lose weight. My GP has ok-ed it and bizarrely it's still a balanced diet.

So somewhere in the 600-800 range for me at the moment. It's sustainable with 3 meals a day, but has no room for any treats at all.

I stick to dead on 1000

xxlettyxx said:

That's what I did. I found a BMR calculator online. Then worked out I could have between 1000 - 1400 cals a day.

Hope it works for u!

Sorry letty. My quote went wrong lol. Looks like I'm stealing ur words lol. just wanted to agree with u. :)
Ccxx

I aim for around 1200 a day which seems to be working at the moment...

My fitness pal is a great wensite for calorie counters like me and i have there app on my iphone so i have no excuse not to count!! I stick to 1200 a day but dont worry too much if i go over or under on a day as long as it's not massively over.

I have just started i am 5ft 2, 160 lbs and BMR says i should have 1399 a day, but surely i need to take 500 off that in order to loose weight??

900 seems hardly anything at all!!!! or am i just not trying hard enough, i have been having between 1100- 1250 a day so far and am confortable with that

do u take 500 off the BMR???

Well the BMR is meant to be what you need if you lay still, in a coma all day. Then you have to calculate your activity level and add that back on. *Then* subtract the 500 or 1000 for your desired weightloss rate.

Using my fitness pal - and putting in my details and wanting a 1.5 pound loss a week - my cal target is 1400.

Im going to stick around that and try not to eat my excercise cals (only just getting back into excercise - so wont be masses!)

Good idea. I use my fitness pal and yesterday it said I wasn't havin enough cals. So I've upped it from 1200 to 1350ish
Ccxx

hi sorry to be thick! just had a look at that fitness pal and it says 1482 - so do i take more off???

so 1400 is the amount i can eat in order to loose weight? im so nervous about not doing it properly!

brilliant thanks!!! would you mind if i give you my stats?? 5 ' 10" female, 105kg little activity thanks!!!!

hi - thanks thats brill advice. i have no clue when it comes to this as only ever done sw or ww before - was thinking of dabbling with exante -- but i think i will be starving!

i will aim for the 1800 and see how it goes! is that an achievable amount to eat??

fantastic -thanks so much xxx

Back