How many calories?

Wants to Be Slim

I have been taking xenical for about 8 weeks. Cut portions down etc. But decided to start counting calories. As you can see on the left, i have a LOT to lose. So asked dr about calorie counting and she said to go no higher than 2000 a day, assuming that i must eat lots per day to be the size that i am. Not had any major weight losses, about 17lb in total. So started counting at the beginning of the week. I'm still trying to keep portions down, but i am struggling to get above 1200 cals per day. I'm even counting Pepsi Max to get the numbers up! Dr said it was ok to go below, but i'm not sure if this low is ok.

What do you all try to stick to and what do you think it reasonable for me to lose bearing in mind my weight? Been talking to my mum who has lost loads of weight (stone and stones!) and she's thinking that i'm not eating enough and therefore making my body reluctant to lose.

I'm also doing between 3 and 5 miles at the gym (bike and walking) about 3-4 times a week and playing badminton once a week.

I honestly think you need to up your calories to way nearer the 2000 mark hun. Because you're heavier, you need more calories just simply for your body to function. Also if you go too low with calories just now, then as your weight loss increases, you're not going to have the calories to cut back on as you're already on a low amount if you see what I mean. The lower your calories are just now, the more your body is going to think its in starvation mode and hang onto whatever fat it can. I know it seems mad, but honestly increase your calories, have say 3 meals and 3 snacks a day ( that way you can keep an eye on your portion control). And as the weight comes off, then you can start to decrease your calories by say dropping one of your snacks.
A good place to give you info on the amount of calories you can be having is Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com , it's free to join and there's loads of nutritional info there too.
xx

Hiya,

I would also agree that you need to try and eat more calories. I don't count them but always have a rough idea what I've had in a day, and I would say I normally consume around 1400 - 1600 calories a day.

Have you got a food diary of what you're eating?

Do you feel like you're starving yourself, do you feel satisfied and full at the end of a meal or day?

Kelly xxx

Thanks for the advice ladies.
At the moment, i am having 3 meals a day and only snacking in the evening - worst time of the day for me. See, my dr has confused me a bit. She said to eat what the pack says is a serving. So last night, i did that and i had way more chicken than rice!! lol So i decided that i was going to up my rice and i had 250g cooked weight. I think the servings on the pack of some foods are unrealistic.

I have always kept a food diary, but have only just started to calorie count everything.

So if i have about 1600 cals a day, do you think that is more realistic? What about the calories that i burn? Do i just ignore that? lol Can you tell i'm a bit confused about what to do lol. On a plus note, i've had a sneaky weigh (weigh day is tomorrow) and i've lost 3lbs since last Fri, so i'm happy with that. So calorie counting is working, but i think i'm going to hit a brick wall if calories are too low now.

Kelly, i dont tend to feel hungry. I normally start to feel hungry about tea time, but that is it.
xxx

Last edited:
im never one for calorie counting partly because im no good at maths... but if this is what you wish to do then id deffo suggest that you up them to no less then 1700-1800 at the LEAST .. like ali says when you are bigger you need more calories.. once you start loosing weight you can drop the calories SLIGHTLY... with exercise you are making your body go into starvation mode so be careful hun xx

Back