How many calories?

GagaOoLala

Hey :)

I was just wondering? I've been sticking to 1200 calories while I havent been exericising and not feeling too hungry but last week started doing exercise 1 hour of cross trainer about 10-11am in the morning and then swimming in the evening usually between 8-9pm. Anyone know how many calories I should be eating now because I have stuck to 1200 and im feeling really hungry.

Thank you xx

Use a website (like my fitness pal) to work out how much you've burnt in exercise, or get a Heart Rate Monitor that calculates this for you. You can eat the calories you've burnt in exercise on top of your 1200 (you don't have to eat them all if you don't want to - but I do!).

I am always so hungry after exercise, so need extra cals!! I always eat my exercise cals back and I am only a couple of pound from goal, so certainly works for me!!
I also learnt very early on, the more I exercised the more I could eat. It certainly motivated me to exercise :)

I wrestle with eating back my exercise cals but after listening to all the different opinions I think it's best to learn to listen to your body.
If your genuinely hungry and you've done a big burn then I'd listen to what your body is saying and refuel it!!
I personally don't eat all my exercise cals back all the time as I find myself eating too many naughty treats just to use the calories up!!
But I love the fact that if I have a bad slip up then it's relatively easy to 'work off' the damage!! And I find 1200 cals very restrictive sometimes so with regular exercise I can have a diet that allows me to eat normally with my family or eat out with freinds but still lose those pesky pounds!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

How accurate do you guys find MFP for exercise cals?? I'm always a bit worried about it overestimating exercise cals, particularly for walking and jogging.

*Michael* said:
How accurate do you guys find MFP for exercise cals?? I'm always a bit worried about it overestimating exercise cals, particularly for walking and jogging.

I'm a bit worried bout some of them but I've checked against what some other sites say and MFP seems accurate but only as a guide? But you can get a HRM a lot cheaper than I thought from eBay/ amazon and lloyds pharmacy are doing a cheap one too. I've ordered one :)

I went into every shop in my local town that I thought would sell hrm's the other day. The only one that had any in was the local sports shop and they wanted £79.00!!! I nearly fell over :0 Needles to say I said thank you but I'll leave it :) I must find a Loydes.

LittleSis said:
I went into every shop in my local town that I thought would sell hrm's the other day. The only one that had any in was the local sports shop and they wanted £79.00!!! I nearly fell over :0 Needles to say I said thank you but I'll leave it :) I must find a Loydes.

The Internet is probably gonna be a better option :) more choice better price!

up it by 200-250 cals - I stick to 1400-1500 when I excercise.

I guess it depends on you and how hard you work / where you walk and jog. I find that it grossly underestimates walking, but then again, I live uphill! I don't jog so sadly can't comment on that. The spinning numbers are about correct for one class, but then for my harder class they're almost 100 out. All in all, they don't seem to overestimate in my experience for CARDIO, but do for things like yoga / pilates / callisthenics.

According to the gym equipment, I am burning a lot less calories than what My Fitness Pal says I do. I only put in what the gym stuff says. But then I read you're meant to put your weight into the equipment so I'm gonna try and do that today when I go and see if it is any different.

I have a heart monitor that also adds up the cals im burning - this is very accurate!

According to the gym equipment, I am burning a lot less calories than what My Fitness Pal says I do. I only put in what the gym stuff says. But then I read you're meant to put your weight into the equipment so I'm gonna try and do that today when I go and see if it is any different.

Yep, definitely put your weight in. But also bear in mind that even the gym equipment isn't always accurate as it may have been a while since it was calibrated - the elliptical gives me 50 cals (after putting my weight in) more from the machine than from my HRM for 40 minutes exercise or so.

Cheers everyone. Ok I just joined that My fitness pal and it said I should be eating 1800 calories if im doing 2 hours of exercise every day. Is that right? It seems like quite alot.

I will defently try and refuel my body espesially when i get back from swimming I always have a banana and a low fat yogurt waiting and I was saving these 2 snacks from mid morning and mid afternoon and using them in the evening but maybe I will just add a extra 200 calories in so Im consuming 1400-1500 at the most a day. Does this sound ok? xx

I've joined mfp as well and defo have a look on the internet for hrm.
Like the new look fattack :)

Hi guys, so many thanks for your thoughts on MFP and exercise calories. At the moment, if I jog for 30 mins, I'll put in MFP that I did 25 mins - would rather under than overestimate.

I had a look online and seems that lots of people have issues with MFP exercise cals for all sorts of cardio. Grr, yes, time to get a HRM. I quite fancy one of those Garmin watches/HRM...but a bit too rich for my wallet - would also rather spend the money on lovely low cal strawberries!

Thanks all

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers everyone. Ok I just joined that My fitness pal and it said I should be eating 1800 calories if im doing 2 hours of exercise every day. Is that right? It seems like quite alot.

I will defently try and refuel my body espesially when i get back from swimming I always have a banana and a low fat yogurt waiting and I was saving these 2 snacks from mid morning and mid afternoon and using them in the evening but maybe I will just add a extra 200 calories in so Im consuming 1400-1500 at the most a day. Does this sound ok? xx

I'd aim for whatever MFP tells you to do to be honest. I do about 2+ hours exercise each day and have to shoot for at least 1800 most days (I'm on 1200 NET).

Ok cheers fattack and everyone who has answered! :)

Any idea how u do a food diary on here? I'm not 2 sure? xx

Just start a normal diary and write in what you've had :) but MFP is soooo much easier lol it would be great if minimins did a food log!!!!

Back