How many cals

Curvygirl87

Silver Member
Hi everyone:)well after sooooo many failed attempts at ww n sw i think im ready2 properly give cc a go.. I am 5ft 5 and 14st, according to mfp i can have 1530 cals to lose a pound a week.. To lose 2lb a week i drop to 1200 which i dont think i cud manage lol! So is anyone else on1500 cals or so? And how r u gettin on? Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I started off on 1800, though I had more to lose, and am now on 1500 and still losing weight on that, having lost 6 stone so far. I would start off on the higher level, definitely, as 1200 is the minimum you're supposed to eat, and you need to be able to reduce your intake gradually, if you have a fair amount to lose. All the best. :) xx

I'm a lot heavier than you, but i eat 1700 hundred cals a day. TBH I'm not sure i could go much lower without feeling dreadful.

MFP allows you to eat your exercise cals back. I don't to this as I've set my limit to encompass exercise as i prefer a steady daily limit.

I'm eight weeks in and so far I've logged everything I've eaten without fail, and only gone over allowence once (a birthday party)

My loss is pretty slow (19lbs) but I'm in it for the long haul and am pretty sure I'll keep it up.

Thanks for ur replies:) wow 6 stone is amazin;) il try with 1530 n c how i get on:) if i go over its not end of world:) what kinda thing do u eat? Im scared cuz its so flexible and im only used to bein able to eat certain things lol xxxx

Curvygirl87 said:
il try with 1530 n c how i get on:) if i go over its not end of world:)

I'd be a little carefull with that thinking because then you will go a little over everyday, and then a little more over until you are nowhere near your original 1530 cals.

What works for some people is to allow themselves more at weekends (or days you are likely to find it harder to cal count)
For example eat 1450 each weekday, which would then give you 1700 over the weekend.

Curvygirl87 said:
Thanks for ur replies:) wow 6 stone is amazin;) il try with 1530 n c how i get on:) if i go over its not end of world:) what kinda thing do u eat? Im scared cuz its so flexible and im only used to bein able to eat certain things lol xxxx

Thanks, it was long overdue in my case!

I started out basically not eating too healthily, just reducing calories. For example, I would still eat low fat crisps, lots of cereal bars, sugary breakfast cereal, diet fizzy drinks etc. Very gradually I've cleaned up my diet, so now I eat lots of fruit, nuts instead of crisps, no fizzy drinks. But I also eat exclusively ready meals still, so I'm no paragon of virtue, lol. I think it's important to change the number of calories you eat first thing, then work on the rest slowly, so you're not depriving yourself abd setting yourself up for failure. One thing I did do was instantly stop eating chocolate, but that was a personal choice.

I wouldn't worry about going over that 1530 figure a little, certainly at first - you'll soon find out what level you'll lose weight at, and it doesn't have to be at a fast rate - the slower it is the more likely you are to keep it off. It took me a year to lose that first 6 stone, but then I do zero exercise which obviously makes it a slower process. What I actually do, and it's purely psychological, is to set my MFP calories to 2000, and then have a nice big negative figure at the end of each day. That way, if I do eat a bit more, my balance is still in the green, lol. May sound daft, but it's what works for me. :)

Keep us posted on your progress. xx

TracyGWill said:
Thanks, it was long overdue in my case!

What I actually do, and it's purely psychological, is to set my MFP calories to 2000, and then have a nice big negative figure at the end of each day. That way, if I do eat a bit more, my balance is still in the green, lol. May sound daft, but it's what works for me. :)

Keep us posted on your progress. xx

Whilst this would not work for me (i would eat them all) this is what i love about calorie counting. It can be adapted to work for you how you want. As long as on average you net less calories that you burn you will lose weight.

The same as Tracy i didn't and still don't have the best diet. What i am realising is the cal count of foods and that eating healthier means i can eat more and stay fuller for longer.

MissAmy said:
Whilst this would not work for me (i would eat them all) this is what i love about calorie counting. It can be adapted to work for you how you want. As long as on average you net less calories that you burn you will lose weight.

The same as Tracy i didn't and still don't have the best diet. What i am realising is the cal count of foods and that eating healthier means i can eat more and stay fuller for longer.

Absolutely, it's a matter of tailoring it to what works for you, otherwise you won't keep it up. I'm over a year in now, and the only lapses I've had have been planned - couple of days off at Christmas, my 50th birthday, family wedding etc. - and I feel I can keep it up indefinitely (touch wood!). The other thing that works for me is that I only get weighed every two months, by my doctor, and I find that incredibly liberating. xx

Too embarrassed to be weighed by my Doc.
I don't own scales tho so its once a week in Boots.
As the loses go down i might to it less frequently so I'm not disappointed with zero loses.

MissAmy said:
Too embarrassed to be weighed by my Doc.
I don't own scales tho so its once a week in Boots.
As the loses go down i might to it less frequently so I'm not disappointed with zero loses.

Lol, my doctor has been very supportive. Considering I was 21.5 stone when I started, I don't think you have anything yo be embarrassed about. :) xx

TracyGWill said:
Lol, my doctor has been very supportive. Considering I was 21.5 stone when I started, I don't think you have anything yo be embarrassed about. :) xx

I started at 20.13 so not far off your weight.
I'm don't have a Dr atm and would feel a fraud registering just for weight loss advice

Thanks so much everyone 4 all ur replies i really appeciate it:) yeah i totally get wat u mean about goin over but i mean just slightly altho il try not too:) i totally agree with idea of diet not bein the best but reducin cals n gradually makin it better, that will totally work way better for me, im lovin the fact that if i have mcds or kfc when im out n about or just fancy it that i can have it and not feel guilty:) day one will b 2mro;) will b interestin to c how i get on:) xxxx

MissAmy said:
I started at 20.13 so not far off your weight.
I'm don't have a Dr atm and would feel a fraud registering just for weight loss advice

Sorry, I was getting you confused with the original poster, who's only 14 stone. :) But still, it can be helpful to get a doctor's help, it makes me feel accountable to someone, and she has been very supportive. xx

Playcrackthesky said:
I think you'd be surprised how much 1200 calories gets you if you're clever about it and go for calorie efficient foods.

True, but it is the lowest you're advised to eat, so you have nowhere to go if/when you plateau and want to reduce your calories, so it makes sense to have it as an end point, not a starting level. But I can't see me ever going that low again. x

Curvygirl87 said:
Thanks so much everyone 4 all ur replies i really appeciate it:) yeah i totally get wat u mean about goin over but i mean just slightly altho il try not too:) i totally agree with idea of diet not bein the best but reducin cals n gradually makin it better, that will totally work way better for me, im lovin the fact that if i have mcds or kfc when im out n about or just fancy it that i can have it and not feel guilty:) day one will b 2mro;) will b interestin to c how i get on:) xxxx

Oh definitely, there shouldn't be any off-limit foods - you've got to make it a sustainable lifestyle. Good luck, keep us updated. xx

Thank u:) xx

Hi everyone:) well been calorie counting all week now but past few days jv went waayyyyyy over caks, stupid totm is looming ;( plus iv woke up today feel horrible and my heads splittin :( xxx

Back