How many times should I go to the gym in one week?

Squ1rrel

I've got quite a lot of weight to lose and I've done okay so far without doing any exercise but really want to get fit at the same time.

I've just joined a gym - its the local college gym which is very cheap but has limited opening times. With my work hours I can only fit in 3 x 1 hr sessions in a week. Do you think this is enough? Or should I be doing something else aswell?

I dont want to start off doing too much but I want to get into a routine that I will hopefully stick to for a while (I have been known to give up after about 2 weeks, I am hoping to break the habit this time!) :D

3x 1hr session is plenty tbh, you could always go for a walk/jog on days that you can't make it

Last edited:
Thanks Gary x

I'd agree with Gary, 3 one hour sessions in a week is plenty. It's probably the best place to start off, you don't want to do too much and then burn out when you're just starting. If you find yourself getting overly comfortable with that, you can up how often you go or just change what you're doing to make it a little more intense. Make each hour that you're there count and you will see a difference.

I'm just doing cardio at the moment - about 10 mins on the cross trainer, and 25 mins each on bike and treadmill. There are weights too but I've not done anything with these yet - although I'd like to introduce them at some point.

Back