How much does drinking water actually help?

slimsarah

Silver Member
I drink copious amounts of tea & coffee throughout the day but not enough water. Do those of you who drink lots of water think its helped your loss?

:)

i think it keeps me feeling full. which obviously helps.

i was craving chips really badly the other night, so I drank a pint of water really fast and I didn't want food anymore. :) Also, in general, water helps you feel better. Often I find myself with a headache and realise it's because I'm dehydrated, because I drink some water and it goes right away.

Can't say it makes much of a difference to me really.
Maybe slightly less foggy headed of an afternoon though!

Going to copy and paste a post that I made on another persons thread a few days ago. I would say, it's probably not the best idea to have 2 litres of tea and coffee a day as apparently the caffeine actually ends up dehydrating you more and so you hold on to water more. So it's better to drink water where you can, I have it as sugar free squash, can't drink water by itself.

The problem is that if, like me, you don't drink enough, your body gets used to having so little water and actually stops being thirsty because it knows it's not getting the water anyway even if it sends out thirst signals. And we stop recognising them. You do need to make sure you're having enough water for a number of reasons. Firstly, it'll help in your weight loss because if you drink more water, your body trusts that you're going to keep giving it water and lets go of the water that it's been clinging on to for a rainy day. Also, often we get confused between hungry and thirsty brain signals, I know I do. But also, water is really important for your body. I'm going to copy and past a bit I wrote in my diary on here ages ago about water...

So why is water important?

* The brain is 70% water
* Our lungs are 90% water
* The human body is 66% water
* Blood is 82% water

So what does water do?

* Water is the primary lubricant in the joint spaces and prevents arthritis and back pain.
* Water helps immune system to function optimally
* Water keeps arteries and brain from clogging, reducing heart attacks and strokes.
* Water is related to brain function and is required for producing neurotransmitters, including serotonin; is necessary for manufacturing hormones needed by the brain, such as melatonin; Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) can be prevented with adequate water intake as well as improve attention span.
* Water aids in the prevention of loss of memory due aging.
* Water decreases signs of aging, causing the skin to appear smoother.
* It cleanses the insides of your body

Initial onset of dehydration: (at or before the 2% loss of bodily water volume)

* flushing of the skin
* headache
* increased thirst and dry mouth
* decreased urination
* loss of appetite
* dry skin (especially chapped lips)

In terms of weight loss, water has a big role to play too. If we don't drink enough water, our bodies can't metabolise the fat properly and we'll also retain water. You know that survival mode when you're under 1200 calories? Happens with water too! So when you're not drinking enough the body goes geeeeeze I dunno when I'll get my next fix of water so grabs all the water it can and doesn't let it go!

The kidneys don't work properly if they don't get enough water so the liver has to pick up some of the slack, but then it's not got enough time and energy to do it's own job properly - converting stored fat to energy. So your liver is spending less time converting stored fat to energy and more time picking up the slack of your kidneys, resulting in you losing less weight. That's why most people see better losses when they up their water. That doesn't mean drink as much as you can and the more you drink, the more you'll lose. It just means that, basically, give your body enough water and you'll lose your full potential loss that week as your body gets freed up to do the jobs it's supposed to do.

Nice post Caroline!
I drink copious amounts of tea & coffee throughout the day but not enough water. Do those of you who drink lots of water think its helped your loss?
Try switching to decaf but maybe not replacing all the drinks at once as you will get massive withdrawal symptoms! I have a mug that is nearly 1/2 a litre and only drink decaf tea and coffee so this way when i have a cup when i get to work thats half a litre down already. 4 cups a day and you are at 2 litres.

caroline g said:
Going to copy and paste a post that I made on another persons thread a few days ago. I would say, it's probably not the best idea to have 2 litres of tea and coffee a day as apparently the caffeine actually ends up dehydrating you more and so you hold on to water more. So it's better to drink water where you can, I have it as sugar free squash, can't drink water by itself.

The problem is that if, like me, you don't drink enough, your body gets used to having so little water and actually stops being thirsty because it knows it's not getting the water anyway even if it sends out thirst signals. And we stop recognising them. You do need to make sure you're having enough water for a number of reasons. Firstly, it'll help in your weight loss because if you drink more water, your body trusts that you're going to keep giving it water and lets go of the water that it's been clinging on to for a rainy day. Also, often we get confused between hungry and thirsty brain signals, I know I do. But also, water is really important for your body. I'm going to copy and past a bit I wrote in my diary on here ages ago about water...

So why is water important?

* The brain is 70% water
* Our lungs are 90% water
* The human body is 66% water
* Blood is 82% water

So what does water do?

* Water is the primary lubricant in the joint spaces and prevents arthritis and back pain.
* Water helps immune system to function optimally
* Water keeps arteries and brain from clogging, reducing heart attacks and strokes.
* Water is related to brain function and is required for producing neurotransmitters, including serotonin; is necessary for manufacturing hormones needed by the brain, such as melatonin; Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) can be prevented with adequate water intake as well as improve attention span.
* Water aids in the prevention of loss of memory due aging.
* Water decreases signs of aging, causing the skin to appear smoother.
* It cleanses the insides of your body

Initial onset of dehydration: (at or before the 2% loss of bodily water volume)

* flushing of the skin
* headache
* increased thirst and dry mouth
* decreased urination
* loss of appetite
* dry skin (especially chapped lips)

In terms of weight loss, water has a big role to play too. If we don't drink enough water, our bodies can't metabolise the fat properly and we'll also retain water. You know that survival mode when you're under 1200 calories? Happens with water too! So when you're not drinking enough the body goes geeeeeze I dunno when I'll get my next fix of water so grabs all the water it can and doesn't let it go!

The kidneys don't work properly if they don't get enough water so the liver has to pick up some of the slack, but then it's not got enough time and energy to do it's own job properly - converting stored fat to energy. So your liver is spending less time converting stored fat to energy and more time picking up the slack of your kidneys, resulting in you losing less weight. That's why most people see better losses when they up their water. That doesn't mean drink as much as you can and the more you drink, the more you'll lose. It just means that, basically, give your body enough water and you'll lose your full potential loss that week as your body gets freed up to do the jobs it's supposed to do.

Wow, what a great reply, and what a bloody good advert to drink more water!!!

My friends dad was high up in the medical profession and he always said if we drank more water we would have half the problems and disease we have.

Wow, what a fantastic post Caroline :) thankyou for the replies

I'll certainly try guzzling more water xxx

I think i drink about 3 litres a day deffo keeps the cravings at bay and keeps me full. Only thing that gives me greaf is if I drink too late at night and then have to get up through the night for trips downstairs! ;)

I'm halfway through your body's many cries for water by dr f. batmangheljdi. Paul mckenna mentioned it in his book i can make you thin and always wanted to read it, very interesting. Unfortunately I havent drank much water since lol. found a straw helped loads though!

Back