How much exercise do you do and does it help?

foi1983

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering how much exercise everyone does and what their losses have been like?

I am a yo-yo dieter and always have been. I was on ww but got bored of pointing and exercising 5 hours a week and losing 1lb.

With me its always all or nothing. If I dont do at least an hour of exercise a day, I feel liked I have failed and then go and eat rubbish and stuff my face. What's wrong with me?

I bought a workout bike, and every weekday I put it in fornt of the TV, and do Half an Hour, monday to friday, when I stick to it, I find it helps a lot, 2 and half hours a week, but it does work

I (try to) swim 2-3 times a week, have had a couple of months where I haven't been going much so I'm attempting to get back on track! I usually do 50 lengths which takes me about half an hour, but I'm trying to mix it up a bit more. I also walk to work in the morning (20 mins) and do half an hour in the gym a couple of times a week. I hate getting sweaty or out of breath though, so I tend to just take it a bit easy, and I know I have to change that!

I do 5-6 hours of martial arts per week. I haven't been able to train for 3 weeks due to a head injury and I really notice the difference

if you hammer the exercise you get bored real easy, if you start small and build it up your body copes with it better also variety if u do different things each day your more likely to stick to it and have more fun :)
hope ur okai :) x

Reactions: Taz
if you hammer the exercise you get bored real easy, if you start small and build it up your body copes with it better also variety if u do different things each day your more likely to stick to it and have more fun :)
hope ur okai :) x
That's really good advice there.

You're so right about hammering the exercise.

It reminds me of that quote "if you always do what you've always done, you will always get he same result".
I must be crazy. I start a diet, really go for it, do 5-6 hours of hard core exercise a week and then give up 4 weeks later.

I need to get it together.

I am doing the "couch 2 5k" plan that aims to get you running 5k in 9 weeks. Its only 3 x 35 minutes a weeks and is great.

You're so right about hammering the exercise.

It reminds me of that quote "if you always do what you've always done, you will always get he same result".
I must be crazy. I start a diet, really go for it, do 5-6 hours of hard core exercise a week and then give up 4 weeks later.

I need to get it together.

I am doing the "couch 2 5k" plan that aims to get you running 5k in 9 weeks. Its only 3 x 35 minutes a weeks and is great.

I've been reading about that plan, it sounds really good, think I'm going to give it a go!

I go through phases with exerecise. I've got one of those air walker thingies which lives behind a chair in the living room. It's a pain in the bum to get out so I only use it if I leave it up permanently, but after a while I get sick of it making the place look untidy, and it goes away again for a few months. If I'm being good I'll do an excercise video a few times week.

If I'm honest tho, I'm not really motivated to excercise regularly as I don't notice any significant difference in my weight loss either way.

I love going to the gym and mixing it up

I try to do a couple of combats and couple of pumps and a couple of spins a week. Sometimes I'll swap around and do some balance or pilates - just trying to keep it interesting.

I would love to be able to run but have always been more of a sprinter than a long distance gal - something I would like to rectify in 2009 once I can some weight off for my poor knees. I have the following saved to my desktop for when I'm ready

Get-Started Schedules

From nought to 30 minutes in 8 weeks

Whatever your level of fitness you should comfortably be able to build from nothing to running continuously for 30 minutes in the space of eight weeks. All you need to do is make a commitment to run at least three times a week and follow this simple run/walk programme which will gradually ease you towards the goal.
A few things to bear in mind:
  • Allow at least a day between runs when you begin.
  • If in doubt, slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you run. Respecting your body is the best route to progression.
  • Walk purposefully, and be strict with your run/walk timings.
  • Don’t be afraid to repeat a week, or drop back a week. Everyone’s different.
  • Take heart! You will get there!
The schedules
  • Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
  • Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.
The result
Congratulations! You’re a real runner! What next? How about a 5K (3.1-mile) race, running for fun in company?

Hope this helps

xxx

im heading back to the gym this week, i go thro phases to, but im determined this week to get back into the swing of it all, plan it to go 2 times a week and 1 class a week

do you think 30 mins fast walking on the treadmill is ok to start out on. i start sw tomorrow and want to throw a bit of exercise in but and very unfit at the moment

do you think 30 mins fast walking on the treadmill is ok to start out on. i start sw tomorrow and want to throw a bit of exercise in but and very unfit at the moment

hey - i think ANY exercise is great !!

good luck :)

Debz xx

I totally agree, and brisk walking is good exercise! Its better to start off with what you can manage and gradually push yourself rather than try too do too much at the start and risk injuring yourself or getting fed up with it (which is what I always do!)

like they say! walk before u run! :) plus it will help warm up the leg muscles your going to use as if your not used to running and u go out straight for it your legs will be in aggggggony! so id say giv it a walk 1st :)
xxx

im 13 stone 7 at the mo.before i met my partner i weighed 7 stone 12 lbs and was a size 6-8.i loved being that size but since having a baby ive put soooo much weight on i feel totally ugly. i know il never get down to that size again and wouldnt really want to.size 12 would suit me fine but to think i was obsessed with going to the gym 3 years ago at my smallest some days i would go twice a day and now cant even do over 30 mins on the treadmill. i hope my fitness gets better in time.

My tips would be

Find an exercise that you love. Something that you can't wait to go to. Something that if you didn't go to, you would feel restless.

Never exercise to control your weight. Not to lose weight nor maintain it.

The 2nd one is a really hard one to get your head around though, but if you exercise to control your weight, there is almost bound to be times when you couldn't care less about your weight, or when you feel your weight is just 'good enough'.

You should never feel like you ever want to make an excuse to get out of it otherwise it'll be a short term venture.

I walk. I love walking. I've been walking for years, but especially enjoying it since toward the end of Cambridge and into maintenance.

Today I haven't been able to get out of the house because of work load....and I'm itching to go. It's driving me nuts.

It's not for weight. I just want to walk.

Reactions: Taz
Back