how much water is too much

linny343

im getting through 6 liters of water a day is this too much i feel i need it im very thristy has anyone got any advice my keto sticks are also the darkest colour on the scale in on day 10:confused:

Hi,
I think you need to be careful, too much water can flush out some of the nutrients in the food packs - as for how much is too much, can't say, but I would say more than 4lts a day is probably too much

I'm sure i read somewhere that 4lts is enough. I never go over 3lts mainly because i stop around 8.30pm so i'm not getting up in middle of night for a pee!lol
Try just sipping your water gradually, don't down alot in one go. hth

ive struggled to drink 4 litres today and im bloaty , all i seem to have done is go to the toilet literally every 30 mins. the good thing to that though is im forever up and down staires so its good excersize! :-D

funny i was just about to ask this i have had 4 pints so far today and am still thirsty (but i usally drink 6 pints a day anyway)

if you drink more than four litre a dayit can make you seriously ill it can make the cells in your body explode seriosly if you look it up a few people have died from it. so please be very carefull.

that is frightening

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!
The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

I agree with the last post. Drink your water over long periods not in huge quantities all at once. Ordinarily up to 60% of our water comes from our food hence the need to have the four litres.
More importantly, your ketostix should not be showing at the darkest shade especially when you are drinking so much water. Please mention the ketostix dark shade to the pharmacist when you next visit.

i've been thirsty this week... managing about 3-4L a day (ketones at 0.4g/L)... though i've stopped myself drinking any more tonight - i don't want to be up at 0630 again weeing when i don't normally get out of bed before 1000-ish (for work at 1400)

If you were drinking *too* much the ketostix wouldnt show as much ketones as your urine would be too dilute for true results and ketones would barely register.

I similarly drink at least 4l a day of water but then I drink litle else except my shakes.. Some people will have 3 lites and 3-6 cups of coffee/tea a day which is a similar amount.

That said if you are drinking 6l and your ketostix are still dark I'd agree with the above poster who said to tell your pharmacist.... On 6l they shouldnt be that dark!

you should be drinking between 2-4ltrs per day. I called LT when I was going on holiday as I thought I should drink more due to the heat but was told no more than 4ltrs.
Good luck x

thank you everyone for your advice today i stuck to 4 ltrs although i am a little thristy still my pharma not sure why my keto sticks so dark is this dangerous ?????

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!
The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Maybe thats the cause of my kidney pain??? I do drink water quite fast and quite alot a day

yes maybe i had kidney pain thats why i looked it up to see what i was doing wrong and found quite a few storys like this scary. so even though my job doesnt make it easy for me to drink water regularly i try my hardestto rather than drinking lots at once.

wow this has scared me a little, ive only been on the diet since thursday ive been drinking 4 litres of water a day (no more, and going to the loo every 30-45 mins) inbetween the times of 8am and 7pm ... is this ok?

Back