How negative thoughts can screw us up...

AmandaJayne

Trainee Maintainer
I talked about this a bit a couple of days ago on another thread but I was thinking about it today.

A couple of mornings ago I woke up and (old negative)thoughts came into my head saying things like "who are you kidding yourself that you can get the qualifications to train as a teacher" and " what makes you think you can be a good teacher, you'll be rubbish" and "just forget it and stay where you are, you'll not succeed anyway".

Thoughts like this used to rule my life and, until doing LL I always acceped them.

Initially that morning, my heart sank and I found myself accepting these thoughts automatically, like I'd always done in the past. It was scary how quickly I did accept these thoughts... however...

...luckily now I know better, and not only that I know how to counter them and stick them where the sun don't shine!

I did this quickly by standing up for myself and arguing back pointing out lots of evidence that prove I can do it if I really want to, and that I have the potential to be a great teacher! Yeah man!

Voices were silent for the rest of the day, and in fact haven't resurfaced again!

I just wondered what your voices say to you to stop you reaching your potential, achieving your dreams, or even having any dreams?

Excellent thread.... food for thought big time!!!

Thank you for this and well done for fighting off them negative thoughts!!!!

Agreed, great thread :)

I wake up in the morning and think "I can't do this", then I remember that I'm a bloody good faker...so that will do in the meantime :D

I wake up in the morning and think "I can't do this", then I remember that I'm a bloody good faker...so that will do in the meantime :D

Very thought provoking statement... its very true tho!!!

haven't got time to reply to this thread properly tonight... but will think about it and reply tomorrow...

AmandaJayne, you will make a good teacher, you are teaching us a few things on here, such as positive thinking, go girl!!

ahh the voices!! These can also be memories! My father was very negative & "transferred" alot of his own insecurities onto us as children...ie telling me I was stupid etc. I believed this & various teachers until someone told me I wasnt capable of doig a degree so set out to proove otherwise! I had a wonderful teacher for my A level & she gave me some confidence. Two degrees & a very good job later!!! AJ you will be fine and from your posts a very good teacher! Just carry on as you are telling them where to go & see it like the LL journey - at times it will be tough and you may feel like giving up but trudge on you will! Go girl & enjoy!! I did my first degree at 25 & loved it!
As for my voices...like you tell em to shut up when they say I cant do something; am usless etc so try & see each day as an opportunity to learn something and usually do! I make lots of mistakes along the way; apologise & fess up when I do & then just move on for the next one!

"...I wake up in the morning and think "I can't do this", then I remember that I'm a bloody good faker..."

That's right, Karion. I remember, we've talked about this before... I'm a good faker too!

Thanks for your comments, Angel! I spend a lot of time 'acting as if' and hope that eventually that it'll sink in and I really will develop some self-confidence.

"....My father was very negative & "transferred" alot of his own insecurities onto us as children...."

"....As for my voices...like you tell em to shut up when they say I cant do something; am usless etc so try & see each day as an opportunity to learn something and usually do! I make lots of mistakes along the way; apologise & fess up when I do & then just move on for the next one!...."

In Search of Me - I love your post! It is so true about parents making assumptions about their children though. I have to watch carefully to ensure I don't do the same for my kids.

I was watching Wife Swap this week where one set of parents home schooled their daughter because of their negative experiences at school. I am not against home schooling but it seemed sad that they had not given their daughter an opportunity to try state or public schooling for herself. She might have enjoyed it. It was a classic example of what you were talking about, ISOM.

You make some very wise comments about the 'voices' too. We must learn to fight back against them, never give them a chance to embed themselves in our minds! Yeah!

Hi there,
Love the thread! I'm in the early part of the Lighterlife programme so I'm new at analysing and challenging the voices. I'm now recognising them more easily but I am amazed at how noisy my chatterbox is! Also amazed at how few compliments I actually take on board, its no wonder my self-esteem is so low. Its going to be a long journey.....but looking forward to it. It makes you wonder where it all starts, why do some people have inner belief and others don't, can it just be the random negative experiences we've had or is there always a root cause?

We must learn to fight back against them, never give them a chance to embed themselves in our minds! Yeah![/quote]

Sure do me lovely! When they come to tell you you cant be a teacher, cast your mind back to your life a couple of years ago & remid them just how far you have come and how wrong they are!! Go girl!! Big hugs & look forward to hearing about your journey!

Back