How quickly are sugars and carbs absorbed?

onefatmama

Hi,

I ask this question because Iv just eaten a kitkat.:mad:

Iv been feeling sicky all morning, so I thought I'd have a sugar boost, wrong thing to do I know.

10 minutes later and I was sick, I regret eating the kitkat, and was wondering what the damage would be.

Are sugers etc absorbed very quickly, i.e in 10 minutes or longer?

Thanks

OFM xx

If the sugars are simple glucose, then they will be absorbed very quickly. The body will always burn calories from the easiest source it can find, and that is firstly the food you have just eaten, secondly your glycogen stores, and finally your body fat. Within these, it will then take the quickest source of glucose (the body turns everything eventually to glucose as that is what the body runs on), so if you give is glucose it will use that, then carbohydrates (simple first as they are quicker and easier to break down to glucose, and then complex carbohydrates as they take more work), then proteins, and then fat.

So, after waffling for half a page - it really does depend on what you have put in, but whatever you eat will be used before glycogen or body fat, and if you eat too much then any excess will be stored as either glycogen or body fat.

Back