How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, thanks for replying, welll its all a bit overwhelming, its all going over my head at the minute. i am not sure whether not to start with the ee plan or green/red days. i have quite a bit of weight to loose, was thinking 4stone, i just want to maximise the weight loss. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh don't worry, you'll soon get the hang of things. It's a bit like learning a new language - you wouldn't expect to be fluent overnight. You're probably best to start out on the EE plan unless you're vegetarian. Just spend some time reading through the books and try putting together a plan for what you will eat over the first few days. Take a look in the recipe forum for some yummy food ideas. And check and double check the syn values of everything until you get familiar with the values for the stuff you like to eat.

Don't be afraid to ask a question if you're not sure of something.

why do I always increase my weight after stopping a diet!!!

Quite simply because diets don't work! You need to make lifestyle changes and continue with them for the rest of your life. Any short-term solution will fail if you return to your old ways.

Totally forgot to ask for the password...in all the excitement, so will have to wait till next week to get onto the lifeline

Just give your consultant a call and s/he will tell you what it is. After all you're paying for it so you might as well benefit from it!

I want to give FREE FOODS a go for an entire week without resorting to SYNS and see how I go....am going to test these free foods to the limit...lol :eek: I have a large overeaters appetite to try and satisfy and curb!!!

I wouldn't recommend doing this and if you do then you are not following the plan properly. You should have at least 5 syns a day and I think you should start out on the full 15 to be honest. Don't think that cutting back on your syns will improve your losses because this simply isn't the case and many people actually find it slows them down.

Good luck!

Thanks Ladies! I've just had 8.5 syns on a large glass of red wine! :eek:
Healthy Extra A is my daily milk allowance and Healthy Extra B will be All Bran at Brekkie or 2 Rounds of Wholemeal Bread (1 round of white for now until I do my meal planning!)

I'm finding that I am eating A LOT of pasta...I always thought it was my downfall...spag boln (always made from scratch with fresh ingredients no sauces), but on this regime, it says you can eat as much as you like...is that true? I mean, I have a HUGE appetite and tend to eat till I am stuffed (something I need to sort out I know!!)

At the moment I am on Day 3 - I've been very good so far, but weighed myself this evening and I was 2lbs heavier!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I must be doing something wrong!! I have had NO chocs, crisps, buns etc, only 2 glasses of wine (measured out to 250mls)

Where am I going wrong...I would be mortified if I go to my next class being the muppet who put on in her first week!!! :confused:

It obviously works are you guys have the shooting stars to prove it, but surely I can't eat a whole plate of pasta and it still be free???

The only thing you are doing wrong is weighing yourself! Your weight fluctuates daily and even across the course of the day by as much as 7lb. So what they said tonight means nothing, and bears no relation to what the scales will say on your official weigh in. So ditch the scales and just have a weekly weigh in. Even then it's probably best to look at losses over the course of a month because of hormonal changes rather than focus on the weekly numbers.

Yes you can eat as much free foods as you need to satisfy your hunger but you need to learn to listen to your body and stop at that point instead of carrying on eating until you feel stuffed. I love my pasta too but and can get through a big plateful! I would suggest that you try wholemeal instead of white pasta though as this will fill you up for longer. And try to have veggies as the bulk of your meal rather than just the pasta - this really helps curb the overeating.

Also think about trying some of the other free foods instead of pasta and rice as variety is really important in preventing the plateaus. What about cous cous, pulses or some of the more obscure ones like bulgher wheat or quinoa?

So stop worrying because it sounds like you are doing fine. But for some more reassurance try posting your food diary in the diary sub-forum and we'll keep an eye on you.

Take care!

Thanks Circles!

For dinner this evening (I know its late!) we are having chicken breast in curry powder baked in foil in the oven, with 1 spray of frylight over each. With Rice and a tin of tomatoes with spices. Quick and easy till I get to the shops on Monday.

What do you think?

healthy extra syns

Hey I was just wondering, do you include the syn value of your healthy extras if you use them as healthy extras?
I get that you add the syn value of them if you have them as well as already having your healthy extra for the day, but do you include it if your just using it from that group? for example if I only had two slices of nimble bread as my option B and nothing else would I still count the syn value of that bread?
hope this makes sense? I'm on extra easy by the way!

cheers

Hi guys,

I'm new to this but I'm hoping to join SW this Monday (31 May). Any tips etc. would be really helpful. I'd love it if I could lose about 3 stone by the ides of September.

That's about it :)

Hey I was just wondering, do you include the syn value of your healthy extras if you use them as healthy extras?
I get that you add the syn value of them if you have them as well as already having your healthy extra for the day, but do you include it if your just using it from that group? for example if I only had two slices of nimble bread as my option B and nothing else would I still count the syn value of that bread?
hope this makes sense? I'm on extra easy by the way!

cheers

Hi there, no you don't count your HeB or A's as syns, you have your health extras and then any thing that you have that is not free you count as syns. hope this makes sense. :)

Hi there, no you don't count your HeB or A's as syns, you have your health extras and then any thing that you have that is not free you count as syns. hope this makes sense. :)

also. if you have more than the proper ammount of healthy option you count it as sins eg 28g of mini shredded wheats is a healthy B option, but if you had 56g youd have 28g as your HxB and 28g as sins with the corresponding value attached

I've been doing slimming world just over 3 months now, and i found that really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to do it :)

im pretty new to this so any help would be fab

are u only suppose to have 2 heb a and heb b?? then the rest are sins?

Fantastic post... thanks so much

I absolutely LOVE extra easy days as I enjoy all the super free food and struggle to use up my a's and b's but it all feels too good to be true?
I am going on holiday in 2 weeks and desperate to get the last few pounds off? do you all find Red and Green days more effective or EE just as good?
any feed back is welcome!!

Also I usually use less than 5 syns a day? will this stop me loosing weight?
Thanks

Thanks Allie,
You look fab in your picture by the way!

bring on the next two weeks.. I really just want to loose 3 more lbs to feel good sat next to my tiny sister on the beach!!

Hi - just joined this forum now (can't sleep!). A really good post from squiddie! I joined SW about five years ago and did the red and green days - lost 2 stone on mainly red days (hate veg). I attended a class last week and the counsellor mentioned Extra Easy but didn't have time to go into it any further. I can't go to the classes now as they conflict with my evening class so I'm thinking of joining online. Anyway, I just wondered if someone could explain to me the basics of EE? I can only understand red or green!!!!!!!

You'll find the basics in the first post on this thread but if you have any other questions just give a shout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back