How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like to thank you for this thread ,im a newbie as off tonight ,cant afford to go to meetings n really would like to try sw as just been on ww and failed miserably and starving.
Mad i know but im going to start my plan as from tomorrow so wish me luck 3 weeks before christmas aswell ,really cant wait to start x

Thankyou very much for this info, its certainly made things clearer for me especially about the superfree food! x

Thanks so much for the info rejoined and looking forward to losing again, i didnt plan last time and slipped up! this time i will plan my food more xx

Just read through this thread and it has been so helpful. I lost about 3 stones on SW 5 years ago but then I stopped losing weight. My consultant was not very helpful back then and so I gave up, but after reading threads on here I realised that it was all down to me not eating my syns. I always thought that the less I eat the more I would lose and this is true for a while but then your body gets used to this and the weight will stop coming off. So yes, although it has taken me a while to get my head around it, you need to use your syns to help you lose weight.

The first time you visit a thread it takes you to the first post in the thread - this is a very long and old thread that dates to 2009 - that is why :)

this is an absolutely brillant and inspirational post.. Thank you so much you have helped to both encourage me and help me further understand.. A slimming world consultant once told me to stop exercising so much, when i questioned why i had put on a pound and had been to the gym 4 times that week and stuck to my diet! needless to say i was bemuzed and felt horrible for putting on and that was the advice i received..

You're a star

Many thanks,
xxxx

I joined Slimming World in September but didn't go back. lol. I don't know, it just seemed fiddly to me, despite my mum losing 4 stone on it. :\

Not every eating plan works for everyone. 90% of weight loss is in the mind. Some people come to group with a gain and blame it on stress or family problems etc., the truth is those same things don't effect your weight loss when you are 100% motivated and committed.

I think Slimming World can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it, like I say though not every weight loss plan will suit all the people, all the time. Congrats to your Mum though!

Natt

hi i am a newbie and only been doing slimming world extra easy for about 3 days, can you tell me if you dont have your total number of syns each day can you carry them over to the weekend and have more on that day, sorry if this has already been asked

Well the thinking is split on this. Slimming World's offical stance is no you can't carry them forward you either use them or lose them. Whether or not this affects your weight loss is really down to the individual.
Hope that helps,
Natt xx

Actuallly SW say that it is perfectly okay to use your syns in this way as long as you don't mind having fewer syns on the other days of the qweek. But I would still recommend have at least 5 a day so you can have a bit of a treat.

That said some people do find that it doesn't work for them but the only way you will find out is to try it.

Thank you for your help and advice. At the minute I am managing ok but it's the weekend where it will be hard work but fingers crossed I will stick below 15 as only used about 6 a day so far 

Thank you for your help and advice. At the minute I am managing ok but it's the weekend where it will be hard work but fingers crossed I will stick below 15 as only used about 6 a day so far 

I've just restarted SW after a break of being very bad, I've had half a stone creep back on so I'm back on the wagon! I just wanted to say, I did SW for 5 months last year with my flatmate, and we found that if we stuck 100% to the plan Mon-Fri, filled up on lots of superfree foods and only used the daily syns when we really wanted to (if we were craving choccies(her) or cheese (me) ), we could save up our syns and go out for drinks at the weekend having spirits and diet mixers and still lose weight every week. We both lost 1 1/2 stone over the 5 months, this could have come off much more quickly I'm sure if we hadn't had our boozy weekends, but it kept us sane and we didn't feel like we were on a diet; our social lives stayed the same and we were getting skinny, two birds one stone!
So we found that saving up our syns worked for us, I'm sure it's different for everyone so it might not work for you. Only way to find out is to give it a try! ;)

Thank you for the information you've posted, i rejoined slimming world last week and even know i know the diet its good to recap on little things that i may have forgotten or just didnt know!

xx

this has been so helpful. thanks for taking the time to pull this together - as a newbie who has joined online, this post (and your FAQ) is invaluable. If only the website was quite as clear !!!!

I am struggling with my syns though. I used 2 1/2 yesterday with a cup of low fat, just add water, hot chocolate. And today got to 8pm and had used none. So in the last hour I've eaten a packet of ww crisps, a merangue with muller light yog and a ww choco eclair. Ive now eaten 10.5 syns today and feel bloated. Any tips on how to use them up on none sugar rich stuff? (today was an average day food wise - quorn saus, plus grilled tom and mushroom for brekkie; meatballs in tom sauce for lunch and quorn steak with jacket and beans for tea). Can't think how to add them into the day.

Kat
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back