How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a brilliant thread and has really helped me to understand EE better.

Thank you!

Reply to Lukey

Hi Lukey - This probably should be in the syns sticky thread on the main page but it hasn't been moved & can't see any reply to you yet so .... Falafel varies. Dried basic falafel mix is 15.5 syns for 100g, basic falafel chilled 100g on EE is 7 syns.
Cauldron Foods, Falafel, 8 pack, chilled, 25g each - 2 syns. Hope this helps & good luck :)

Hi I've just rejoined and gained 1lb in my first week as I didn't understand the plan properly :-( I understand the plan now but just wondered why I should have no less than 10 syns a day?

Many thanks :)

Here is a recipe for Falafals, easy to make!
Enjoy..............

Pete’s Mini Falafels

Makes 18

Ingredients

2 Wholemeal slices of bread (400g loaf) 1Heb or 6syn
1 400g chickpeas (s)(sff)
1tsp cumin
1egg (ff)
2tbsp chopped coriander
1tsp chilli flakes (s)(sff)
100g Roasted red peppers (s)(sff)
2 spring onions (s)(sff)

Method

In a food processor reduce the ingredients to a smooth paste, put in a small bowl and cover, place in the fridge until the mixture is firm, remove and form into small size “burgers”

Heat a frying pan and spray with Fry Light, cook in batches on both sides, remove and allow to cool.

Falafels (Small).JPG

Hi I've just rejoined and gained 1lb in my first week as I didn't understand the plan properly :-( I understand the plan now but just wondered why I should have no less than 10 syns a day?

Many thanks :)

SW recommend between 5 and 15 syns a day. It's up to you in that frame to have what you feel is right for you. If you started too low on syns, as you get close to target and weight loss slows down you'd have nothing in hand to cut back a bit on to continue losing weight.

i have around 5 some days, the full 15 some days, usally an average of about 8-10 syns and that works fine for me :)

I'm guilty of not measuring my HEAs and Bs!!! Did anyone find it worth buying scales and measuring cups? I have some scales which are pretty but a bit vague, hard to measure small amounts like 30g cereal! and my measuring jug goes up by 100mls a marker so again a bit hard to measure 315mls or whatever it is we can have as milk on cereal.
PS. I'd also love to know if it is worth buying some of the recipe books, and which ones folk would recommend?

purpleboots said:
I'm guilty of not measuring my HEAs and Bs!!! Did anyone find it worth buying scales and measuring cups? I have some scales which are pretty but a bit vague, hard to measure small amounts like 30g cereal! and my measuring jug goes up by 100mls a marker so again a bit hard to measure 315mls or whatever it is we can have as milk on cereal.
PS. I'd also love to know if it is worth buying some of the recipe books, and which ones folk would recommend?

Its defo worth having a decent set of scales and most of them will measure liquids as well. As for books depends what you like to eat. My all time favorite is extra easy all in one. 6.99 from group. Well worth the money x

Sent from my galaxy s2 using MiniMins app

Been on red since June but now need some variety so trying EE. Are the hex's the same as red cos I know green hexb are slightly different?

So far today I've had:
B - Muller yoghurt
L - chicken mugshot and a load of carrot sticks, cucumber sticks and cherry tomatoes
D will be roasted salmon with courgettes and shallots (sw mag recipe) will have with brocolli and new potatoes.

Is that all ok and free?

No syns or hex's yet. Planning on options hot choc with milk for a. So just hexb left?

All about right?

I don't go to classes, doing from home. Success so far but bored of my food so trying a new plan!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

Just noticed that a lot of my books area outdated - not sure what to do? Can't make it to class..anyone got updated info on green days?

Sorry but the only way to get up-to-date information would be to either join a group (even if you only attend for that one week) or ebay or similar but youwould likely pay more than face value if yu go down the second route particularly as there are usually joining offers available.

Very helpful - thank you!

A Sort Of Returnee!

Hi there, I joined SW back in 1998 when I weighed 17st, now being only 5ft 2" it was over weight. I got all the weight off and then in 2000 left UK for Spain, where my weight stayed fairly stable, just coming down a bit to wear I would fit into a size 10 - 12

I returned to England last July and in 3 short months have gone up about 2 dress sizes if I am honest, so need to nip this in the bud.

So my question is, I have found my original "Sin A Day" healthy eating plan (Yes Syns used to be called Sins) Can I just restart this. It is just that having been on this site I am seeing EE and eating potatoes, along with meat (Which in my day was the biggest no no going:eek:) But I will need up to date sins (as there are so many added products) but will up to date sins work with my old plan? Confused.com:)

Hi Ladies (and Gents)...
I have been considering joining SW online and was wondering who else is doing this? I am based in Germany.Are there any local meetings in Germany? I noticed a couple of you stating that you belong to the "(town name)" group... I feel like I have been living under a rock as I have been in Germany for over 10 years and have NEVER heard of SW or any groups here.

I have done WW in the past and did quite well - however, I am totally over counting points and documenting every piece of food to pass my lips... I found it a bit tricky to do properly especially since I work 40 hours a week and travel quite a lot.

I would be interested in hearing your stories and successes regarding SW as I haven´t quite joined yet... Would also be keen to hear how it is "doing it" online...

Hi Ladies (and Gents)...
I have been considering joining SW online and was wondering who else is doing this? I am based in Germany.Are there any local meetings in Germany? I noticed a couple of you stating that you belong to the "(town name)" group... I feel like I have been living under a rock as I have been in Germany for over 10 years and have NEVER heard of SW or any groups here.

I have done WW in the past and did quite well - however, I am totally over counting points and documenting every piece of food to pass my lips... I found it a bit tricky to do properly especially since I work 40 hours a week and travel quite a lot.

I would be interested in hearing your stories and successes regarding SW as I haven´t quite joined yet... Would also be keen to hear how it is "doing it" online...

Hi and welcome to the forum. I joined SW Online a couple of months ago before finding this forum. To be honest I find this forum more useful than the SW online site. There is always someone on here that will answer any questions, offer ideas and tips. If you haven't already, have a good look thru the forum and check out all the threads. The food diaries are always good to get ideas for meals. Below is a link to the thread for those of us who are doing SW from home. Good luck.

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/243438-doing-sw-home.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back