How to deal with SW saboteurs

ANiceBitOfDust

:mad:

Please give me some tips on how to tactfully deal with people who seem intent on sabotaging my good work!

"oh just one cake won't matter, you've got to eat you know!"

"Come for tea, I'll make it SW friendly" get there to full fat food - with a teeny side salad on

"Why are you eating an apple, don't you want some of this?" **wafts a big mac in my face**

Tips please! Especially ones for mothers in law who despite being what I regard as a bit offensive to me and my feelings, needs handling without causing offence to them and their calorie ridden Bird's trifle....

Hmm, first suggestion is to buy a gun......

My 2nd (probably more helpful for all bar the Mother In Law) is to practise ' Thank you very much for the offer, but I don't want it at the moment'.

Or, a tip my consultant suggested to a lady with a most persistent husband. Take whatever is offered with a smile, and chuck it straight in the bin. If they copmplain say 'I told you I didn't want any, but you persisted. So I took it to shut you up. but I STILL DON'T WANT IT'.

Thankfully my other half has now realised this worm is not for turning! It's just everyone else *sigh*

I think I like your first suggestion best :D

jezzi999 said:
If you say "I can't have it" or "I shouldn't have it" people have some kind of psychological compulsion to force feed it to you.

If you say "I don't like it" generally people just go hmm, maybe ask a couple of questions the first time, then leave you alone.

At work I currently "don't like" cake, crisp, biscuits and chcolate. They all think I'm mad obviously, but they dont offer me them any more as I was consistant in saying I didn't like them.

Also keeps you on the straight and narrow as you don't want to be caught eating something you "don't like" !

I do this aswel-I tell them that chocolate gives me headaches,pastry gives me heartburn,cake gives me stomach ache etc etc lol x

I do this aswel-I tell them that chocolate gives me headaches,pastry gives me heartburn,cake gives me stomach ache etc etc lol x

Cunning- most people don't believe a generalised 'I don't like it', so this is a really good idea.

By the way, Emma, your avatar photo is amazing! Have you posted any before and after pics on the photo thread?

Excellent tips on here! i've been worried about an upcoming trip to scotland where my in-laws don't really do diets or particularly understand the need to lose weight (my husband has always been slim despite eating anything and everything with high sugar and high fat content). So I think i'll go along the "don't like" or "gives me headache" tac and hopefully, just hopefully, i'll be able to survive. My sis-in-law is great but i would in no way expect or want them to make anything different or differently for me, so i'll just have to have small amounts and try to bulk up with lots of fruit which i'll buy anyway....any other tips for me to stop me going hungry but be able to stick, within reason, to SW??? xxxx

Would they be offended if you take plenty of your own food for snacks to keep you full?

I always take yogurts when I go to my mother in laws, she gets the cheap low fat ones which are all synned so I just buy what I like (which actually luckily she doesn't like) so I can just say ''I know we're both really fussy with yogurts so wouldn't expect you to have to buy ones in especially for me''

It is always hard when visiting people who don't diet. Luckily last time I went to see them she had started a diet as well, not slimming world but it did mean that she was serving lots of salad and low syn things. next time we go is new years so not sure whether she'll still be thinking healthy or not :/

"oh just one cake won't matter, you've got to eat you know!"
With this you really have two options.
1) "One cake won't matter, but it easily ends up as more and that's what got me here in the first place." or
2) "I could eat the cake, but I'm saving my syns for (insert syns of choice here!)."

In both cases, the phrase "you've got to eat you know" is usually quietened down when people see how much I'm eating!!!

"Come for tea, I'll make it SW friendly" get there to full fat food - with a teeny side salad on.
When people offer to cook, ask what they're going to make.
If they say it's going to be 'SW friendly' ask them how.
Try and find out if they actually know the SW rules (even vaguely!!).
If people offer to cook, offer to bring something (either salad, dessert or even a side veg dish.) that way you can fill up on what you know is ok and enjoy a little of what they've cooked too.

"Why are you eating an apple, don't you want some of this?" **wafts a big mac in my face**
Again two options
1) No. I've seen a report on what goes into them and also the lack of hygine of staff in fast food places (this is just something to say - not a judgement on any fast food employees out there!!).
2) No thanks. I'd rather wait until later and use my syns on (insert syns of choice here!!!)

Especially ones for mothers in law who despite being what I regard as a bit offensive to me and my feelings, needs handling without causing offence to them and their calorie ridden Bird's trifle....
Aahh! The most difficult one of all!!! - Options are obviously limited but my favourites would have to be
1) "ooh! I really wish I could but dinner filled me up - maybe later" or even asking to take it home instead! Once you're out the door, it's either in the bin, or in the husband!!
2) Take a fruit salad as well 'to help out and say thank you for cooking' - fill up on a lot of fruit salad (with a little bit of triffle so as not to hurt her feelings) and again, offer to take some home as 'it was just so lovely!)
3) Phone ahead and offer to make a dessert 'since she is doing all the work, cooking dinner'.
4) Brag about your weight loss and say 'ooh! I can only have a little as I'm hoping for a loss this week - can I have some fruit with it?'
5) On weeks you're at the out-laws, count syns weekly, only have a little of the triffle and smile sweetly at her!!!

outlaws, love it!

that Big Mac almost ended up squished in their face I have to say!!

Supergirl1980 said:
Cunning- most people don't believe a generalised 'I don't like it', so this is a really good idea.

By the way, Emma, your avatar photo is amazing! Have you posted any before and after pics on the photo thread?

Thankyou :) yes there's some on here somewhere lol-can't link it cos I'm on my phone x

ANiceBitOfDust said:
outlaws, love it!

that Big Mac almost ended up squished in their face I have to say!!

Probably the best place for it! ;-)

My other half used to be the sabotuer! Now he is on SW with me! I statred explaining syns and how abd the Dominos is and scared him into it. Now we work together and its awesome. Unfortunately when he's not around I don't have a wing man. When it comes to friends, I try and chose the restaurant we're eating out at to one where I know the syn values, so example Nandos or Wetherspoons and then if they ask why I didnt get burger or something fatty, I'll say I had a big lunch or something.

At work I say I don't want it rather than I can't have it. That way they can't question you on why. Plus I dont think they realise Im on a diet half the time as I dont think they see chocolatey hi fi bars and diet coke as healthy :p

I used to have sabotuers but maybe we've all just grown up and realised I got too big! Plus my in laws live in NZ so no worries there :p

Its difficult isn't it - I have actually spilled drinks out when on a night out because I was bought it even though I kindly declined but then I felt to rude to leave it sat on the table. In the day I normally laugh it off, but make sure I have my own food/drink so it doesn't seem I am going without :) Some people might just need a stern 'no, really .... I am fine thanks' but thankfully aside from drinks I haven't had too much fuss so far.

If someone waves a big mac on my face close enough, I'd lunge at it and take a big bite out of it then spit it out saying "urgh!! Tastes revolting... How can you eat that???"

ColJack said:
If someone waves a big mac on my face close enough, I'd lunge at it and take a big bite out of it then spit it out saying "urgh!! Tastes revolting... How can you eat that???"

Lol that's brill x

I came face to face with cake, pavlova and jelly sweets today while visiting my nan for her birthday. And we're IRISH - so I literally had about 10 million offers for 'Ach just a wee bita cake! A wee totey bit, it won't do ye any harm!'

Irish grannies also have a great knack for telling you that you'll waste away to nothing if you don't have a bit of whatever is going...and even when you explain in detail what you have already eaten that day (i.e. absolutely plenty) they look at you with this suspicious sucked-in hen's arse mouth that says, 'You're lying!'

With all saboteurs (other half included) I just hold my own and remind myself why I'm doing this and how much better I feel for not having a 90% fat diet.

Back