How to encourage someone.

ikkle87

Silver Member
Hi guys,

Quick question for you. My nan is doing slimming world as well and has been doing so for the same time as me yet in that time she has only lost 5lb. Now she is 5ft 1 and 11 stone. Size 14. She was doing fine yet yesterday a woman said to her in the toilets at the local social club ''your really piling the pounds on now aren't you? I'm guessing retirment doesn't agree with you'' It's made me really mad because my gran has lost weight and you can tell she has lost weight, she is eating all the right things because I check her food diary's and she asks me about everything, she doesn't have loads to lose and so knows it may come off slower but its really put her off after what this witch has said.

So how can I encourage/motivate her?

What a horrible thing to say!, I would just tell your nan to ignore that person, she is eating really healthily and doing really well, if you keep reiterating this to her and giving her lots of praise for making the right choices I am sure she will be fine

I agree, what an awful thing to say to someone. There could be two reasons she said it, one is that she was just making conversation and didn't think about what she was saying. And the other is jealousy. I experienced something similar from a colleague also started a diet at the same time I did but it fell by the wayside, she said to me last week "Still on the diet? Is it working?" When it is *obviously* working because other people have noticed the difference. It stung that she was implying my efforts are making no difference, but in the end I managed to strug it off as a snide comment designed to deter me so the other person didn't feel so bad about her own failure.

I do believe it can be harder to lose weight depending on your age, because your body needs different things and converts energy differently. And as you rightly say, if she doesn't have that much to lose it'll be a slower process, but I hope this woman's comments don't put her off, if nothing else SW is a healthy option and will do a lot of good in other ways as well as weightloss. Rather than feeling as though her efforts are making no difference, maybe she can turn it round and think that others are envious of her efforts.

If someone said that to me I'd spur myself on by thinking "I'll show 'em!!".

Good luck to her!

I agree, what an awful thing to say to someone. There could be two reasons she said it, one is that she was just making conversation and didn't think about what she was saying. And the other is jealousy. I experienced something similar from a colleague also started a diet at the same time I did but it fell by the wayside, she said to me last week "Still on the diet? Is it working?" When it is *obviously* working because other people have noticed the difference. It stung that she was implying my efforts are making no difference, but in the end I managed to strug it off as a snide comment designed to deter me so the other person didn't feel so bad about her own failure.

I do believe it can be harder to lose weight depending on your age, because your body needs different things and converts energy differently. And as you rightly say, if she doesn't have that much to lose it'll be a slower process, but I hope this woman's comments don't put her off, if nothing else SW is a healthy option and will do a lot of good in other ways as well as weightloss. Rather than feeling as though her efforts are making no difference, maybe she can turn it round and think that others are envious of her efforts.

If someone said that to me I'd spur myself on by thinking "I'll show 'em!!".

Good luck to her!

i have the exactly same thing at work!!
theres a lady i work with thats old enough to be my nan who acts all supportive and nicey nicey to my face and then when i walk away she wheels her chair over to another girl on my team who is also on a diet and says "well you've got to beat her havent you!!" and makes snide comments about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theres just no need for it!!!
I just try and take it as a compliment, dont mention how much ive lost from week to week and she can see it for herself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jealousy is a very nasty thing!!!!!!!!
Tell your nan shes doing great and each day that shes eating healthier can only be a bonus, and if that woman says anything else to her tell her
"i can loose weight, you cant change your face love"...and walk away!!!!

i have the exactly same thing at work!!
theres a lady i work with thats old enough to be my nan who acts all supportive and nicey nicey to my face and then when i walk away she wheels her chair over to another girl on my team who is also on a diet and says "well you've got to beat her havent you!!" and makes snide comments about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theres just no need for it!!!
I just try and take it as a compliment, dont mention how much ive lost from week to week and she can see it for herself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jealousy is a very nasty thing!!!!!!!!
Tell your nan shes doing great and each day that shes eating healthier can only be a bonus, and if that woman says anything else to her tell her
"i can loose weight, you cant change your face love"...and walk away!!!!

the end bit made me laugh there

some people are so nasty so they deserve it back!

oh my god some people are soooo thoughtless and RUDE!!! my god, i hope she told her where to go!!!! to be honest that would be enough encouragment for me to prove the old cow wrong!! go nan and show her!!!! xxx

What a mean thing to say to someone!!!
Personally if I weighed what your Nan, I would be over the moon!
People like that definitely arent worth the time of day and tell your Nan that this person is definitely jealous of her achievement otherwise she wouldnt have been so thoughtless.

Yeah I think that person was just jealous, size 14 is not too big. What a nasty thing to say. I think your nan should just ignore the comment and keep going. It is harder to shift weight when you are older as your metabolism slows down but exercise will speed that up a little.

Back