Extra Easy husband diet questions

Alisonc

Hi, I have a few questions my husband has raised, before he commits to joining me on the slimming world EE diet.
Unfortunately I can't answer them and being a man he wants scientific absolutes.
He is frustrated as he has tried nearly every diet out there, he loses well in the first few months but then he will stick with it for 2 or 3 more months with almost no loss at all. He doesn't sneak or cheat and has a very strong determination while he believes a diet works.
He is of the mind that all diets you lose initial weight due to water retention, change of eating habits etc, in time his metabolism susses out the habit changes and slows the process of losing weight down to almost a tad of a loss.
He is very passionate about taste rather than bad foods.
He has a logical view on dieting.

He wants answers to These questions, can you help...

1 it says men are advised 15 sins, he wants to know if he goes to zero sins will that improve the efficiency of weight loss?
He is an all or nothing mentality so he can't understand why anyone would want to make a diet last longer than it should.

2. What's the science behind it?

Bare in mind my husband thinks like a man, nothing iratates him more than using feelings and maybe's, he is frustrated and wants clarity and facts.

He is 47 years old 15.5 stones and should ideally be 12.5 stones

He says a lot of the issue is psychological, eg he always eats what's on is plate, as that goes back to his childhood.

Any help for a mans logic is greatly appreciated.

Interesting, have you had a look on the SW website for the scientific answers?

but the answer to question 1 is no, having less syns will not mean he loses more weight, many on here have tried it and it doesn't work.

I'll do my best to help but sure someone else will be along with a better answer!
As I understand it, up to15 syns are a very important part of the plan as they prevent feelings of deprivation- it is easier to stick to a diet if you don't have to rule anything out completely. That's not to say you should eat them for the sake of it but you can add them in to your meals- gravy, mayo, ketchup & olive oil are popular choices- though you can have that one chocolate bar if you want it.
The science behind it, in a nutshell, is that you reduce your overall calorie consumption by filling up on fruit and vegetables (a third speed food at every meal) and limit your intake of bread/cereal/cheese/milk. Treats are also capped (if you stay within your daily syns) but meals are tasty, nutritious and filling so you can stick with it.
Its hard to say why your husband stops losing after a while; with sw you can try a number of things to kick start losses after a stall (SP days, reducing syns slightly etc) so he'd have somewhere to turn if he were to get stuck.
My OH is a similar weight & lost around 1.5st in a couple of months despite being very sceptical of the plan. He'd have kept it off if he stuck with it :p
Wow long post, sorry! X

When I don't use my syns I don't lose as well. It makes no sense to me and I have no idea why but it works!! x

Buy him a smaller plate :D

There's a really good article on the sw website as to the science behind it. But basically the free food has a strong satiety level ( keeps you filler for longer) so therefore stops you reaching for shack inbetween.

As to the syns always use your maximum until such a point you need to reevaluate. You say he can't see why someone would want to make a diet last longer. The point if Sw is to change your eating habits for life it will become ingrained to do the plan. I know this is how I eat for life and when I have struggled to lose weight as fast as I want I always remind myself this is how I would eat anyhow
Hope that helps and tell him to give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I glad he has decided to go the SW route!
Tell him from my personal experience that if he follows the plan then it does work!
Dont wait until its too late, I almost did & reached the point where I was given 6 months to live if I didn't change my ways.
That was almost 4 years ago.

Back