husbands and diets!

.Nicki.

Minimin Addict
So in May i'm trying to get hubby to join me at slimming world for his sake as well as mine.
He's never been happy with his weight but he's never been a diet and he can't exercise much due to health problems its only getting worse.
The thing is he is fussier then i am, he live out of the freezer and insists its cheaper, i mainly have green days and use my hexb's for meat (can't do EE because we don't eat enough superfree stuff) so i can defo do it cheaper its just finding enough things for his breakfast/lunch, he's not so keen to give up his bbq chicken wraps or full fat coke.
I really need him to do it because i can't when he's sat there eating pizza/chicken nuggets/sweets/crisps, i'm hoping after a few weeks and seeing results he'll be able to get involved a bit more and try some new things. Anyone else got partners/spouses/friends that are as much hard work?

My OH is the same. He eats sooooo much. Sat night he ate a whole pizza for morrisons, two double decker beef burgers in white rolls with cheese, bacon and sauce, chips followed by two jam cream cakes and packet of crisps! All for his tea! I worked it our to be well over
2200 calories! I find his eating habits disgusting. He is very overweight and just wont stop eating. Its makes it so hard for me as im trying so hard. He went to the shop last night, and came back with a kebab, chocolate brownie cheesecake, haribo and iced fingers, and ate the lot before bed. He brought me kinder surprise and was annoyed that i didnt want it!! Arrgggghhh rant over!

Glad its not just me to be fair to him he doesn't buy me stuff but that tends to annoy me more when he comes home with goodies for him and none for me.

I had the same thing but when my OH saw how much I was eating and still losing weight he decided to join me and now he has lost 1 stone without even trying really! (although he did have to give up his full fat coke, which I dont think he has really fogiven me for yet... hee hee) ;)

Despite all indications to the contrary, these people are grownups and are responsible for themselves. You can advise, guide, help, encourage - but you can't force them to eat sensibly.

Surely everyone knows by now that a diet of chicken nuggets, cheesecake and crisps is a fast track to a heart attack?

If you do the shopping you can make sure that the right things are in the fridge/freezer, but then if someone like princessnicky describes goes out and buys their own stuff there is not a lot you can do.

Despite all indications to the contrary, these people are grownups and are responsible for themselves.

Ah but we all know that husbands are really just like another child in the family!! They take as much, if not more looking after and are not really capable of fending for themselves properly ;)

Nicki/princessnicky - my hubby is normally really good at eating what I give him, but he's always quick to suggest a take away if I'm tired or mention something he doesn't really fancy for dinner that night!

.Nicki. said:
So in May i'm trying to get hubby to join me at slimming world for his sake as well as mine.
He's never been happy with his weight but he's never been a diet and he can't exercise much due to health problems its only getting worse.
The thing is he is fussier then i am, he live out of the freezer and insists its cheaper, i mainly have green days and use my hexb's for meat (can't do EE because we don't eat enough superfree stuff) so i can defo do it cheaper its just finding enough things for his breakfast/lunch, he's not so keen to give up his bbq chicken wraps or full fat coke.
I really need him to do it because i can't when he's sat there eating pizza/chicken nuggets/sweets/crisps, i'm hoping after a few weeks and seeing results he'll be able to get involved a bit more and try some new things. Anyone else got partners/spouses/friends that are as much hard work?

My oh is another fussy one. He will not eat any fruit or veg. The nearest to veg he gets is marrow fat peas and baked beans. When we first met he was awful, carry out for his tea everynight and he had no idea how to cook even the simplest things. After ten years hes finally coming round to my way of eating. Ive convinced him its cheaper for us both to eat similar while i do sw and im mainly doing green days to accommodate his choice of sides. At the end of the day no matter how much you try to help him he needs to do this for himself.

Ah but we all know that husbands are really just like another child in the family!! They take as much, if not more looking after and are not really capable of fending for themselves properly ;)
. . .

That's just what they want you to think. Can't work the washing machine, can't boil an egg, need their shirts ironing for them.

It's all just a big con!

Just wading in, in defence of some husbands, I am a stay at home dad, my wife works full time, I look after my almost 3 year old, look after the house, clean and cook, all SW meals on the table when wife gets home...

Not all OH are useless ;0)

I really need him to do it because i can't when he's sat there eating pizza/chicken nuggets/sweets/crisps,

That seems a very unfair reason to force him to do SW. And its doomed to failure, the one basic essential thing for a diet to work is the persons desire to lose weight. You can persuade, cajole, bribe or force him onto a diet but hes likely to fail quite spectacularly if hes not in the right mindset for it.

You feel his eating habits are unfair on you, if you force yours onto him in a way thats just equally unfair...

Can you try meet halfway?

Just wading in, in defence of some husbands, I am a stay at home dad, my wife works full time, I look after my almost 3 year old, look after the house, clean and cook, all SW meals on the table when wife gets home...

Not all OH are useless ;0)

Sorry Scotmk, didn't mean to stereotype. Mine is pretty awesome other then his eating habits.
Shocking news girlies, my husband has just walked out the door with a salad (well ham, chicken, pasta, cucumber) that he made himself :faint2:

.Nicki. said:
Sorry Scotmk, didn't mean to stereotype. Mine is pretty awesome other then his eating habits.
Shocking news girlies, my husband has just walked out the door with a salad (well ham, chicken, pasta, cucumber) that he made himself :faint2:

Lol it's ok, I know you did not mean anything :0)

Im really lucky as my hubby will eat whatever is put in front of him -as long as its not apricots :p, He adores salad and jacket potato n cottage cheese and salad is one of his faves :clap:

He eats pretty much as I do -although he does have his beer and the occasional "munch" -but we don't keep junk in-on the odd occasion he has it, he will pick it up when he fancies it -eat it and he is done...

Im guilty of giving him larger portions and he has asked me to shrink them :p, so as I do all the cooking he is now agreed to doing SW, I can be smart and use as few syns as possible (allowing him his beer) , and even though I do all red days now -Im putting him mainly on EE, then I will not use his HEB as I know he loves to munch dry ryvitas in an evening :confused:
There are loads of things you can try out on hubby so he doesn't feel he is going without... to be honest there are very few recipes if any that I do that anyone would think were "diet food"
I do burgers, make my own wraps, sticky pork, buffalo chicken is nice in them. I have even started jogging -hubby will do it because its to support me :heartpump:, when Im also hoping he will see the benefit as he is moving more too :sign0151:

Nicki. sounds like hubby is at least willing to try :0clapper:

How you would feel if he started telling you to lose weight, or go on a diet - it wouldn't matter if he was doing for your own good or not - you would be very annoyed and be more likely to dig your heals in and reach for the nearest biscuit barrel! What makes you think he is going to react any differently to you???

He is a grown up as Regfield says. You cannot force him to eat healthy food and you equally can't force him to not eat unhealthy food in front of you if he chooses to buy it. You can however choose not to buy it yourself.

Also , how do you plan to cope when you are out and about and someone walks past you with a burger, or KFC or whatever it is?? Ask them not to eat it around you? Unhealthy food is everywhere - you need to accept that fact and embrace the fact that you are making healthy choices.
YOU are CHOOSING not to eat these foods. YOU are in control. The food is JUST fuel. It does NOT control you. Repeat until you believe it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh - it really isn't meant to be sometimes these things come over all wrong when you write them down

kingleds said:
How you would feel if he started telling you to lose weight, or go on a diet - it wouldn't matter if he was doing for your own good or not - you would be very annoyed and be more likely to dig your heals in and reach for the nearest biscuit barrel! What makes you think he is going to react any differently to you???

He is a grown up as Regfield says. You cannot force him to eat healthy food and you equally can't force him to not eat unhealthy food in front of you if he chooses to buy it. You can however choose not to buy it yourself.

Also , how do you plan to cope when you are out and about and someone walks past you with a burger, or KFC or whatever it is?? Ask them not to eat it around you? Unhealthy food is everywhere - you need to accept that fact and embrace the fact that you are making healthy choices.
YOU are CHOOSING not to eat these foods. YOU are in control. The food is JUST fuel. It does NOT control you. Repeat until you believe it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh - it really isn't meant to be sometimes these things come over all wrong when you write them down

Totally agree with this, my OH doesn't like practically anything healthy and could do with losing a stone or two but that is up to him. I am hopeful that once u have been successful in weight loss then he will see the difference abd decide to make a change himself- for himself. Also agree that I would hate it if he were to tell me I look fat or need to go on a diet (although he would be right lol) I think I would be heartbroken actually! X

*I not u!!!

He does tell me i need to diet, he's my husband he tells me the truth, i don't need him to sugar coat things and i'd be disappointed if he did. I used to sit there listening to him moan about his weight after he's just polished of pizza and chips and a couple packets of sweets and tell him it was fine, now i tell him to do something about it. I don't walk up to him and say hes fat but if he moans about it then i tell, as he does with me. I personally think its fair that if he expects me to diet in order to have a child, then he should do it too.
He wants to do the diet with me and i will go out of my way to help him.

Ah - well that is slightly different. It didn't seem from your first post that he was up for dieting - quite the opposite in fact (see what I mean about it coming across wrong when you write it down :)). Again, you can only encourage him, you can't force him and of course you shouldn't sugar coat things - but there are ways of saying things that don't hurt peoples feelings. There is a massive difference between telling someone to lose some weight, and when they complain about how much they weight, suggesting that they might look at eating some more healthy things and I think us women are sometimes very guilty of forgetting that men have self esteem issues too!

Anyway, maybe we will have to agree to differ on our approaches.

My hubby loves his food & while i would never tell him he had to do a diet with me, most of the stuff i cook on SW i do for either both of us or the whole family - just because it works out cheaper and easier for me than just cooking something for me and then something seperate for him.
He did complain at first that i wasn't getting the same stuff in as we used to but he's adapting to my changing eating patterns.
I think as us dieters have to asjust to our new eating patterns so do our husbands/partners. My hubby is so used to me sitting on the sofa with him at night eating chocolate, crisps, ice-cream & having takeaways left, right and centre that it was a bit of a culture shock for him when i stopped doing it!
I'm sure your hubby will jump on board with the new way of eating. Maybe he doesn't need to follow the diet with you? Just cutting out a lot of the junk and eating SW friendly main meals has meant my hubby has lost weight already!

My fella eats so much crap it's untrue. He's just polished off home made sausage rolls made with 6 sausages and a whole sheet of pastry...that's a snack. He rarely eats veg, never eats fruit. It's all convenience food, currys from jars, frozen ready meals and meat. On top of that is his sweet tooth...whole packet of biscuits in a day followed by cakes and about 20 cups of tea with sugar. All that and he's a 32" waist, not fair!

Back