Hypothyroidism

I find that one week I can exercise, but then I end up suffering for it the following two in the sense that I'm so tired, I can hardly stay awake and not wanting to do any more ever again. I wouldn't say I was over doing it. Perhaps I need to look at things differently, a little would work better in the long term?? But then I feel it was pointless to go to the gym for not very much.

Whilst typing this I've cleared my head a bit, not let my pride get in the way; I'll book an upgrade and speak with an instructor who knows what s/he is talking about. It sounds so obvious now!

Hi I have hyperthyroidism and successfully lost 6 1/2 stones in 18 months with slimming world. I have taken thyroxin for many years now and just decided to join slimming world as my weight had increased to 19 stone and I was miserable. I've got to say that my weight loss was fairly steady and I did have some blips but the blips that I had were all due to my own eating habits, such as eating more syns than I should have. I never thought I would lose weight but I did. I started slimming world 9 years ago and stopped going to group about 3 years ago and I have started to allow the weight to creep on again, but that is my own fault. I decided to start following the plan again last monday (14th) and weighed myself on friday and I lost 2lbs. (I always weigh on a friday) I hope this will offer you some hope and support with whatever weight loss method you choose.

I should add that I'm on 250mcg of thyroxine and have never had my dosage changed whilst I've been losing weight. I've been on it for 20 years since my 20's. The only time that happened was when I was being stabilised.
I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Hi. Im the same ive lost 4 stone since sept and have been taking levothyroxine since last june. It was increased in march this year and i have to get tested again next month but have thankfully not noticed any hindrance to my weight loss x

Hi, I developed Hypothyroidism about 8 years ago after the birth of my daughter. I currently take 150mcg Thyroxine (when I remember) and I don't find it's hindered my weightloss yet (only down 21lbs though so far) I blame that (and the coil) for an increase of 4 stone in the last 8 years.

It's gonna go in the other direction now, has to!

Last edited:
The only thing we can alldo is try. Everybody is different and we all lose weight at a different rate regardless of health issues. We can all support one another and just go for it ;)

The only thing we can alldo is try. Everybody is different and we all lose weight at a different rate regardless of health issues. We can all support one another and just go for it ;)

Thats it exactly. Ive heard terrible stories of people not losing weight with thyroid problems . Its hard enough to lose anyway without added barriers we have no control over.

I could never lose weight until I joined slimming world. That works lovely for me but again everyone is different :)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Hi,hope everyone is keeping well.
I'm really happy today. I've had myweigh in and I've broke the 1lb a week loss and lost 3lbs this week.Very pleased.
I put it down to being back at work. When I do a fullshift as every day is different, on average I walk 10 miles a day (Iwear my pedometer to keep track for the days I'm too tired to exercise). I'm quite surprised though as I had a bit of a biscuit bingeyesterday. So it is going in the right direction, hopefully I cankeep going to goal weight! x
[/FONT]

Hi, has anyone been told that they shouldn't have sweeteners with Hypothyroidism? Particularly aspartame? I've just discovered this 'fact', but no doctors or nurses have ever told me of this?

Running with Scissors said:
Hi, has anyone been told that they shouldn't have sweeteners with Hypothyroidism? Particularly aspartame? I've just discovered this 'fact', but no doctors or nurses have ever told me of this?

No I've never been told to avoid them. I have taken them for years. I know there was a health scare a few years ago regarding them but I'm sure that was a general scare.

Thanks Kim. I thought it was odd that no-one had told me, but t'internet is full of people who say you should avoid them. I don't use sweeteners anyway as a general rule but I do like flavoured water!

Hi mama, hope the weigh in goes well. where in essex are you if you dont mind me asking. x

Oops! I forgot to check back at this thread. I'm in North East Essex - near Colchester :) Yourself?

I have tried cutting out sweetners as well as sugar, but cant drink coffee or tea without it. xx

sue70 said:
I have tried cutting out sweetners as well as sugar, but cant drink coffee or tea without it. xx

Ive had an underactive thyroid for about 20 years and I have been on sweetners for at least 15 years and it has honestly never affected me or done any harm.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have had a underactive thyroid for over 15 years starting at 13 years old . I am on thyroxine 125mg but it does annoy me when people assume that your fine and have no issue with weight when on a synthetic hormone ...there is no lternative to levothyroxine offered in my doctors uk. I have struggled for years and years finally realising eating like a diabetic is the best way with a diet like low GI diet . I am now doing slimming world extra easy it hitch is the low GI it but with syns a little more flexible. I once lost 3 stone on the low GI diet but couldn't keep it up but hopefully I can continue with slimming world plan as a lifestyle change ...just remember avoid foods with iodine such a crusiferous vegtables like sprouts and broccoli !! The importance if a low GI / diabetic diet is filling foods that do not peak or dig your blood sugar but maintains a level such as porridge however high GI foods are baked potatoes which is why people feel sleepy tired ....hope you ind the right diet. Good luck

Back