I am confused, please help

Pouchie

I have just joined slimming world but was following the plan for 2 weeks before, however I believed we had 15 syns per day and now I find out it is only 10. Im confused:confused:

You can have anywhere between 5 and 15 syns a day, it's up to you how many you choose to have. However a lot of people stick to an average of 10 a day just to be on the safe side and allow for syns miscalculations, especially when new. If you'd rather have 15 syns a day, go right ahead and enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm a lot heavier than you but I do tend to have nearer to 15 syns.

I think your consultant decides whats best for you depending on your weight, height and target. If your consultant has said 10 syns, I'd go with it. But you're right it's usually 15. I was given 20 though!

I think your consultant decides whats best for you depending on your weight, height and target. If your consultant has said 10 syns, I'd go with it. But you're right it's usually 15. I was given 20 though!

I joined with a temporary consultant & she didn't even mention syns to me. My current consultant said I should have started on 20 syns so the odd day I don't worry if I go over 15 syns.

I joined with a temporary consultant & she didn't even mention syns to me. My current consultant said I should have started on 20 syns so the odd day I don't worry if I go over 15 syns.

We have similar stats so I'd guess 20 would've been right for you. I'm not sure when the change from 20 to 15 happens, I think it might be a personal choice or maybe if your losses slowed down. When I was on WW my online thing automatically took points off me as I lost, then I got them back when I gained, it was a bit weird.

If you're doing well then stick to what you're doing:D

edit: read your stats and wow you're doing amazing!

We have similar stats so I'd guess 20 would've been right for you. I'm not sure when the change from 20 to 15 happens, I think it might be a personal choice or maybe if your losses slowed down. When I was on WW my online thing automatically took points off me as I lost, then I got them back when I gained, it was a bit weird.

If you're doing well then stick to what you're doing:D

edit: read your stats and wow you're doing amazing!

The thing that scares me with WW is it's not just your treats that reduce is it? I wouldn't like to have to eat less pasta, potatoes etc.

The thing that scares me with WW is it's not just your treats that reduce is it? I wouldn't like to have to eat less pasta, potatoes etc.

Yeah everything is pointed, but with propoints they made some 0 point foods but pasta and potatoes, meat etc was all pointed. It was just a bit strange to follow. I would lose like 3lbs, then do the exact same thing the next week and put on 3lbs. It was so disheartening. I'm not trying to bash WW, I just thought it was strange that I would lose points for losing weight but then get them back lol surely if I gained weight I need less points??? :confused: Ah well, not to worry now!

It is 5-15 syns but they say "around 10 a day" - this is in the magazine and also what my consultant says.

I wonder if this will become the norm in the new book?

Those of you that get 20 syns a day, do you mind me asking you what weight you are as I can't see your stats on my phone?

I do often wonder if like WW they give more syns to some people.

My C said 5-15 syns, the books say the same, and I vary between 7 and 15 depending on the day. My bloke did SW a few years ago (he's doing it with me now) and said he was given 20 syns, as men needed more apparently... *shrug*

I wouldn't personally panic about the difference between 10 and 15 syns, they are both okay and if you continue to lose with 15, great, if not, you've got an option to reduce!

Your syns are not based on stats-they allow everyone to have between 5 and 15 a day-whether you are 9 stone or 29 stone :) it's all about making sure you don't feel deprived :)

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

But it's quite common for a larger person, say 20 stone plus to be given 20 syns a day.

Those of you that get 20 syns a day, do you mind me asking you what weight you are as I can't see your stats on my phone?

I do often wonder if like WW they give more syns to some people.

I was 21 stone 12lbs when I started.

A friend's husband has joined recently, he has been told to have 20 syns a day & he is about 5'10" & 19 stone.

I was told between 5-15 syns per day and also told average about 10-12 and that will allow for any miscalculations.

I have on average about 10 and it seems to be working for me. :p

Hmm, that's strange, I started at 21st 11 (5' 7) and I wasn't told I could have any extra Syns, just the standard 5-15. I usally average about 12 a day - sometimes more if I need them, sometimes less.

rachpid said:
Hmm, that's strange, I started at 21st 11 (5' 7) and I wasn't told I could have any extra Syns, just the standard 5-15. I usally average about 12 a day - sometimes more if I need them, sometimes less.

Me neither! My ex boyf joined SW and was 23 stone and he was told 5-15 aswell! If a larger person needs more, then we can eat more free food :) we don't need more syns-and on the odd occasion we do, thats what flex syns are for :) x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

It's at the discretion of the consultant which is why some people get more but other's don't. I agree, I don't see any reason why someone with more to lose would need more syns, after all that is what free foods are for.

I lost about 3 stone and I was having 20 syns a day, maybe I would've lost more if I'd only had 15!

As someone has said it's at the consultants discretion. I went to 2 different classes and both told me 20 syns, maybe it's a regional thing.

Back