I am LOVING....

StaceyUK

Gold Member
acorn squash! I quarter it, remove seeds, stick on a baking tray, sprinkle with homemade cajun seasoning and roast for about 40 mins. It is sooo lush on a red day to bulk out your meal as replacement for potatoes.

To make your own simple cajun seasoning combine the following:

2 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

Store in a container. Very versatile and great tossed into potatoes and then roasted!

Thanks for the pointer to make my own cajun spice! I have all the ingredients, didn't realise it was so simple to make!

acorn-squash-food-network.jpg

This is one! Think its orange inside....looks yum I'm gonna look out for one! xxx

Nope, it's different to BNS. To me, it's a bit firmer so it's more potatoey in texture, almost. I can't describe the taste but it's not as watery as BNS. Give it a go! Can be a bugger to cut though. I had to cut down as far as I could and use my brute strength to snap it in half!

I used to grow acorn squashes in my garden. Yummy! I have a giant thing of cajun spice that a family friend sent me from Texas... I use it a lot on my SW chips!! I'll give the acorn squash a go... I love all squashes.

If you are anywhere near a Waitrose supermarket, pop in and get their October booklet which has articles about what's seasonal at the moment, including one on autumn squashes. They have butternut, acorn, harlequin and kabocha.

Sounds lovely, only ever had pumkin and BNS but like them a lot so will be adventerous and have a go. Thanks for the spice tip too, will deffinately being doing that as mine has almost run out.

Went to Waitrose this afternoon and got a Harlequin squash - like an acorn squash but with a mottled green and cream skin. Also got a Kabocha squash which is a bit bigger. According to Waitrose it has "bright orange flesh and a mellow, chestnut flavour that's alittle like sweet potatoes".

Sounds good to me! I'll let you know how I get on.

Back