i cannot believe....

MidwifeKim

A Sainsburys BGTY Tomato and herb pasta sauce is 14!!!! yes 14!!!! syns!!! :eek:

I put half a jar of it on my pasta last night because i was too lazy to make my own sauce! The other half of that jar is going down the sink!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE laziness for me!! :copon:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are you sure? Wow that is super scary.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself, Italian Tomato & Herb Pasta Sauce, jar 500g jar[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
red.gif
[/FONT] Original 14 Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 14 Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tesco Mushroom Pasta Sauce, jar 500g jar[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
red.gif
[/FONT] Original 11½ Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 11½ Syns
[/FONT]

If you are [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]having an Extra Easy day, choose the lower [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Syn value [/FONT]
[/FONT]this one is much better

Last edited:
BGTY tomato and mascapone pasta sauce is 7.5 syns for a 300g pot according to the new directory cant see tom and herb .

There must be tons of sugar in that sauce. Just goes to prove that "low fat" isn't always whats best.

OMG, i have always wondered about those jars of sauce, i also think they use veg oil etc in it

I bet the normal one is lower in syns - cheeky how you think you're picking carefully and in fact its so damaging

'Damaging' is hard to quantify - which is worse, fat or sugar?! Just have a quick nosy at the back of the jars/packets to compare the normal and the 'healthy option' - it's usually pretty clear what differences there are!

I use passata for my pasta sauces - if I'm lazy I just bulk out a sauce like the OP did, or make my own sauce with the passata and herbs/spices.

I always make my own sauces, I use lazy chilli, garlic, chopped onion and a tin of tomatoes - tinned cherry tomatoes are lovely and make a really rich sauce. Stir in some FF Fromage frais if you want it creamy.

Nothing beats home made and its cheaper too!

I think it's the oil in the sauces which bump up the syn value - shocking!!

The low fat, bgty, light choices etc thing is a bit of a con really (imo), it just means something is reduced from the original version but that something that is missing is usually replaced with something else. I was surprised to find out that Mcvities lower fat rich tea are the same syn value as the normal ones but not as nice. The fat is replaced with sugar so the overall calorie content is the same!!

It's frustrating!!!

I know, it's the last time i opt for a lazy dinner - making my own all the way now. I was shocked that it could be that much! Won't be doing that again!! It must be the oil or sugar i guess....i never checked the pack as i figured - tomato and herb where can you go wrong?! But i WAS wrong lol!

Just thought i'd share as a heads-up for everyone!

Back