I cant believe it

When I was at the Doctors a couple of weeks ago the nurse did a blood test just to check my wild blood sugar levels.

Well, went to Docs today and after years and years of knowing something not right with me they have doscovered what it is. I have an underactive thyroid.

For the past 10 years they have tested it every so often and its either borderline or normal, I have a swollen neck which is a major sign of it too but was told its just fat. Ha now I know its not and I was friggin right all along. Most people would be in the pub by now crying int their pint but Im so pleased I now know whats wrong with me and I can treat it.

I seen a different doctor tonight (he was tasty) and he said I have so many symptoms that I should notice a big different the main one being my weight and tiredness.:party0011:
I start my meds in the morning and cant wait. They will speed up my metabalism a bit so hopefully it will speed up my weight loss.

Just sooooo pleased and happy I wanted to tell all of you!

hey hun, good news I guess! Hope the meds sort things and you feel better. :)

hi vicky i was diagnosed with a over active thyroid in feb and i should be loosing weight but apparently 10% go the opposite and guess what i am one of the 10%. i am struggling to loose weight at the mo but i still keep trying .hope your medication will help you .ps glad your doctor was tasty mine was about 80 i have all the luck dont i xxx

Vicky i had to reply to your thread I was diagnosed last year and i can honestly say It has changed my life. I did not realise how bad it was until i started to get better once i started to take thyroxine every day. I wish you all the best but it has completly changed my life and i have now lost 5 stone.... ok that isnt all down to thyroxine CD played a major role but i had tried to loose some weight for years but it would not budge, I later read a artical which stated that trying to loose weight with a untreated under active tyroid is like trying to run uphill with a piano straped on your back...... and boy how true is that. My energy levels have increased drematicaly too and i feel so good in every other way too, it really has given me back a life. I hope now you have been diagnosed it makes as much difference to you good luck luv Alli x I could kiss the doc that put me on thyroxine lol

hi vicky i was diagnosed with a over active thyroid in feb and i should be loosing weight but apparently 10% go the opposite and guess what i am one of the 10%. i am struggling to loose weight at the mo but i still keep trying .hope your medication will help you .ps glad your doctor was tasty mine was about 80 i have all the luck dont i xxx

If you have an overactive thyroid then I would have thought that the medication to regulate it would NOT speed up your weight loss as your metabolism wouldn't be slowed by it being overactive.

Vicky, great about the diagnosis. With all that tiredness banished you could go to the gym! Ha ha x

I'm glad you've finally been diagnosed and hopefully you'll feel a lot better soon with a lot more energy.

If you have an overactive thyroid then I would have thought that the medication to regulate it would NOT speed up your weight loss as your metabolism wouldn't be slowed by it being overactive.

Vicky, great about the diagnosis. With all that tiredness banished you could go to the gym! Ha ha x
hi taz when i was first told i had overactive i was expected to be slim but i wasnt but when they put me on my medication they didnt know how it would affect me as `normal' people should then put on there weight but i could go the opposite its still early days . i have lost a bit but the weight is not shiffting at the mo.my mum and sister are both underactive and are both 8 stone and losing weight on there medication so its not looking good for me .we must just be a weird family.

I think everyone must be different. I just hope they make me feel a bit better and more alive.

Thanks for all your replies, im just pleased I now know whats up with me :)

What the heck? are they trying to say that in 10 years they couldn't figure that out? I find that so frustrating about the NHS! Atleast you know what it is now, and you are getting treated. A close friend of mine had it and gained loads of weight (she is normally quite small) before they figured it out, it took her a year or so to lose it all, but now she is back to where she was before and is really pleased. Good luck honey, I hope the tiredness goes away!!

xx

i know a few people who are underactive and they have all lost weight when they started their medication (its just my family) so good luck and im sure you will be feeling on top of the world soon .keep up the good work xxx

Thanks Ang

I know that my weight is mostly down to my bad habits but I always knew something was not right. Hopefully when all these weird chemicals are leveled out I will feel less tired and it might help me lose weight. So when Im not as tired and I can join the gym Taz! lol

What the heck? are they trying to say that in 10 years they couldn't figure that out? I find that so frustrating about the NHS! Atleast you know what it is now, and you are getting treated. A close friend of mine had it and gained loads of weight (she is normally quite small) before they figured it out, it took her a year or so to lose it all, but now she is back to where she was before and is really pleased. Good luck honey, I hope the tiredness goes away!!

xx

Yeah Steph 10 years. I just though I was meant to be this tired or I must just work hard haha.

I'm hope u'll notice a difference soon. As you say if your energy levels increase then you'll want to be more active which in turn will help with the weight loss. I had my thyroid removed when I was 28 due to cancer & I'm now on medication. I have been overweight all my life but I know thats down to my bad eating habits & I personally didn't notice any change once on medication.

Thanks Hunca xxx

How much better you feel and how better you lose will be determined by what your levels were- what I mean is if they were only slightly over the 'normal' range then don't expect a miracle to happen? Not trying to burst your bubble- just saying that it mightn't be the cure you were hoping for? I was diagnosed in Feb too and had a TSH level of 10.9 (normal range is 0.5-5) which was quite high. I too was delghted to find a 'reason' why I found it hard to lose weight, and the meds did help a little- I think, but as I was also watching cals like a hawk i can't be sure. I got my levels re-checked last week & they were 0.02(!?!) so my meds have been lowered to get the levels back up into the normal range. But that means that in the few weeks my thyroid was'overactive' (i.e. over-medicated! LOL!) my loss should have been more- but it wasn't. I hope that all makes sense? Just thought I should let you know?

Hope your feeling better now. Im not expecting a miracle really, just pleased I know whats up with me and hope these tablets will help me wake up a bit!

TBH I don't feel any different at all! LOL! I was sub-clinical which means I had hypothyroidism but didn't have the symptoms yet? Its all all bit up in the air- my Gp won't really discuss it with me until my levels stabilise a bit- I think he's not too sure himself what to say to me! I hope the meds help you? TC x
BTW- I'm from Co. Armagh!

Im not far outside Lurgan!

I'm being sent off to the local hospital for more blood tests as I have been borderline for the last few years. My mother, her sister and my brother all have underactive thyroids so it must run in the family.:(

Back