I don't know what I' doing wrong :(

Bernadette and mum

For the last few weeks my losses have been like this -1/2 a pound, maintain, -1/2 a pound, -1/2 a pound. I know this isn't that bad as 1/2 a pound is still a loss, it's just very disappointing when my mum and sister who are doing it along with me are having a lot bigger losses when they're eating practically the exact same as I am (I cook most of their meals for them!!) Also, two of those weeks I was doing success express which I thought would have sped up my losses but no joy! :( And this morning I stood on my scales and it seems like I've gained a pound? :confused: I know it sounds like I'm just feeling sorry for myself but it's just difficult trying to keep motivated when everyone else at group is doing so well! Does anyone have any tips or anything that might help me? :)

God I could have written this myself.... I'm in the same boat , mum and sister getting 2 lb a week and I'm 1lb on last night. My c suggested getting back to basics. Read my books again, measure all healthy extras and syns, make sure I do 1/3 super free. I'm doing a food diary for her to have a nosy at next week.

Maybe give that a go. Or try some red or green days, ee doesn't seem to suit everybody.

Good luck

Is it around time of the month i only ask because i can gain around 5lbs sometimes due to fluid retention. Sometimes we can have lots of small losses and then a really big loss. Maybe that's what's in store for you. You at still losing which is great so keep it up :) xxx

My losses slowed right down a couple of weeks back, and I gained 0.5lb two weeks in a row, despite thinking I was 100% on plan. I went right back to basics the following week, measuring out milk and keeping a food diary etc I lost 2.5lb last week, and 3lb this week. I only do Green days, and didn't cut down on my carbs, but made sure that every single syn was accounted for. For example, on one day I had 2 Maltesers and would normally have written them off as being not worth worrying about, but I counted them as 1 syn. Also, it's probably not that helpful to compare your losses to someone else's. Do your mum and sister have more to lose than you? Are they more active?It can be very disheartening when this kind of thing happens, but keep at it and the weight will come off.

May I suggest that at 5'10" you are already at a healthy weight? If you still want to lose weigh - great - but you are close to target and the weight will come off more slowly. You are not likely to lose 2+ lbs a week if your BMI on your stats is correct. A gentle weight loss to get you to your goal is a good way to get there, just as you are doing x

It's so disheartening when this happens- but I agree if you have a food diary it might help? Sometimes with the best will in the world you're just overlooking something really simple which over the course of a week can make the difference between 1/2lb and 1lb, which is already a start :)

I thought that Fat Free Vanilla Onken yoghurt was free food for a few weeks, and ate A LOT of it- found out I was SO wrong! I also went through a brief stage of mistaking smoked mackerel for free food. Where I eat a lot of tinned mackerel, and just saw it in the shop one day and thought 'oh that'll make a nice change', however this only really changed my then regular losses into STS weeks (and even a small gain if I remember, when I find something new I tend to go overboard with it!!). My point is it can be a really small tweak that’s holding you back.

Otherwise, if you're exercising the same as the others, have the same amount to lose as the others and are eating the same as them, it might just be the way your body is reacting for now. If you had bigger losses when you started it might have been the initial 'shock to the system' losses that most people see when they first join, and do really well for the first couple of weeks, then for some people it settles down into a 2lbs per week pattern, and for others 1/2lb per week pattern. Even for people who are less fortunate in that way can do things to boost their losses.

I say 'for now', as for as long as you're eating well and are exercising (and even really if you're not exercising too much- I lost all my weight last year without moving a muscle, and ironically have joined the gym now and can't seem to budge the scales!!) it should catch up with the hard work you're putting in and start coming off faster. It can take the while for the body to realise ‘oh right, so THIS is the way we’re doing things now’ and start to play ball.

Other things to consider, just as additional food for thought: do you eat a lot of salt, as that can add to fluid retention, as can hormones obviously? Are you definitely getting ⅓ superfree over the entire course of the day (including snacks)? Also, if you're exercising a lot then the tired 'inches not pounds' cliché comes into play- it's boring to hear when you wait for the scales each week, but it really is true.

Have you measured yourself? That's a good incentive for times where losses can be slow, as even the smallest change in tape measure numbers is tangible and can be a good boost.

You could attempt a dreaded scan bran challenge, do the green tea challenge, drink hot water with lemon, try success express, up superspeed soups- there are lots of options for you to consider before resigning yourself to slower losses… some of them may be gimmicky rubbish but you may just find that magic ingredient that works for you and speeds it up.

Otherwise, no matter what combination of the above or else you're going through at the minute- if you're definitely doing it right and you stick with it, it's bound to catch up and come off at some point. Stay with it, even at 1/2lb per week you'll move it all in the end :)

(…sorry this is a bit more longwinded than I’d planned!!…)

Last edited:
Is it around time of the month i only ask because i can gain around 5lbs sometimes due to fluid retention. Sometimes we can have lots of small losses and then a really big loss. Maybe that's what's in store for you. You at still losing which is great so keep it up :) xxx

I thought this maybe but considering it's been going on for four or five weeks now don't think that could be it? :/

My losses slowed right down a couple of weeks back, and I gained 0.5lb two weeks in a row, despite thinking I was 100% on plan. I went right back to basics the following week, measuring out milk and keeping a food diary etc I lost 2.5lb last week, and 3lb this week. I only do Green days, and didn't cut down on my carbs, but made sure that every single syn was accounted for. For example, on one day I had 2 Maltesers and would normally have written them off as being not worth worrying about, but I counted them as 1 syn. Also, it's probably not that helpful to compare your losses to someone else's. Do your mum and sister have more to lose than you? Are they more active?It can be very disheartening when this kind of thing happens, but keep at it and the weight will come off.

Thanks at the minute I don't weigh out my HEA milk, I used skimmed so I get a lot (375ml) but I thought because I only use it in tea or coffee I'm unlikely to be going over but I'm going to try and weight it out from now on just incase! They are the same height as me, my sister is around the same weight and my mum is about a stone lighter! I'd say we're all probably just as active as each other, thanks again I'm feeling more motivated now. :)

jezzi I will make sure to do that this week, maybe even just keeping a food diary will help out a bit, could show it to C too as clairebrooks said:)

Aston thanks soooo much for your help, everyone is making me feel a lot more motivated now haha:D That's a very good point about salt as I probably am taking a bit too much of that, should I drink more fluids then to make up for it? definately am getting my 1/3 superfree, have a feeling I snack too much on fruit! I do exercise quite a lot but it doesn't seem to be showing on that either :/ Aswell as weigh in at slimming world, I get weighed and measured once a month at the gym and I haven't noticed much of a change! I just have to keep sticking to it and hopefully as you said it'll eventually all come off, though I actually had a1/2 pound GAIN this week when I really didn't think I'd done anything wrong!

thanks for the help everybody xx

Back