I dont know what to do

caroline_ireland

MISS Failure ha
i dont know what to do, i use to live near work where i walked home most evenings, im commuting up and down to work now about 7 months and im piling on the weight. Id say ive put on approx. one stone and 5 pounds which is
madness for 7 months. Im up at 630am every morning and not home till 8pm and im just stuck in a rut and i dont know what to do.

Hi... I'm near Belfast, you south of the border? Nice to see a fellow celt. Those are pretty extreme hours factoring in the commute. Something has to give eventually, and I think a 20ish lb weight gain in 7 months is understandable, even rather conservative all things considered! If you think about it, it's less than three quarters of a pound weight gain a week. I'm not sure, but I think you need to eat an extra 3500 a week over your calorie needs to gain a pound. So you've gone over by about 2300 a week, or around 325 a day. That's only the calorific price of one snickers a day. So it's easily done. If you're having a couple of drinks in the evening to unwind after the stress, that could be a culprit, too.

Don't panic or beat yourself up about it. I think it's just a matter of tweaking the diet and trying to make sure you've got the house well stocked with satisfying, low calorie foods that you can happily snack on if you need to. Keeping some snackajacks rice cakes, apples/satsumas, or light cereal bars with you for the commute or really hungry late afternoon nibbles at work might help. Vending machines can be too tempting if you've no healthy alternative to hand.

With that length of day in front of you, I hope you're getting a good breakfast in! Only other thing I'd say is try to make time for some food-free pampering to relieve stress. Sounds like you need it and deserve it.

Good luck and let me hear how it goes! :)

ah thanks Iris, im right in the middle of Ireland but work up in Dublin. I think instead of my 3 meals a day ill have to do the 6 small meals? one when i get into work at 9, yogurt at 11, something small at 1, then something around 4 small, then when i get home sometime small? god i dont, i have noticed im eating more since i started commuting, seem to be hungry a lot plus no activity cant be good.

ps you look fab in your pic, i see u lost a load how long did it take, how are u going about the calorie counting? Are you just counting calories or have you to watch out for other things. I was told i should be only eating 1300 calories a day to lose weight.

The smaller meals might give you more energy and stave off hunger pangs, but it all depends when you feel you get hungriest. If you're like me, you'll crave a good feed quite late in the evening - so I like to save up a few cals during the day so I can have a big meal at night. Hopefully you don't suffer from the noctural nibbles like that, though! I'd definitely have a good breakfast, and maybe two small meals after that, one at 1pm-ish, then something around 4-5pm. If you're on 1300 cals, you could have a good breakfast and a good evening meal and have plenty left over for those two smaller meals, and maybe a couple of snacks, too.

No time to eat before the commute, I'm guessing? If you do, I'd go for a couple of boiled eggs with Nimble toast and some lean ham... something like that. If you're eating on the move at work, maybe make up a couple of hard-boiled eggs the night before so you've got them to hand? Team that with a weightwatchers/muller light yoghurt and a banana and you should be okay until lunch. That'd be around 320 calories. Then for lunch you could either grab a healthy option sandwich (around 300) or bring a John West Light lunch meal with you (200 calories) and follow it up with an Alpen light cereal bar and a peach (100). For late afternoon, a soup would be great. Batchelor's soupfuls pouches are easily portable if you have somewhere to heat them up, just 3 mins in the microwave and they're lovely and filling. The harvest vegetable, and chicken and country vegetable flavours are both only 160 calories for the whole pouch, too. If you're peckish on the commute home (unlikely after the soup, but still!) you could have another cereal bar (60).

If you tot up those 3 meals and snacks that would take your calorie total to around 800-900 depending on your early lunch choice. That still leaves you a 400-500 allowance for an evening meal. You'll be knackered when you get in, so a ready meal might work for you. There's loads of ranges in the supermarkets, not sure which ones you have down south, but the calorie counts vary a lot. Weightwatchers' range of frozen ready meals are mostly under 300 - their beef hotpot is only 209! But the portion is very small, so I bulk it out with a massive mountain of steamed broccoli. You could have a 300 calorie ready meal, plenty of veg and a skinny cow double choc lolly for something sweet, and you'd still be within your 1300 a day.

Just have to find what works best for you, but once you've got a routine down, you'll be flying. I think the trick is never to allow yourself to get too hungry. Keep a big made-up bowl of Hartley's sugarfree jelly in the fridge - it's virtually free, and really delicious with some strawberries/raspberries. If you're famished when you get in, you can grab it while dinner's cooking!

Thanks for the kind words! :) I'd been yo-yoing for years when I decided to finally get rid of it once and for all in January 2007. Tried to do it too quickly and fell off the wagon, putting most of it back on again. So I started again in May of last year and vowed to take it slow. It's taken just over 13 months to ditch 7.5 stone, but the last stone has taken 4 months on its own to shift! I haven't done any exercise, so that's definitely slowed things down.

I'm still counting calories... it's kind of automatic now, been doing it for so long. I aim for around 1300 a day, but I try not to be fascist about it. I'm crap at maths and hate weighing things, so I go for a lot of ready meals and calorie-counted snacks. I did get a wee set of Salter electronic scales off amazon, mainly to measure my cereal. Found out I was having 60g instead of the recommended 30g! (Who can possibly be filled up by 30g of coco pops for goodness sake?!)

Do I have to watch out for anything? Well, I have a terrible sweet tooth - it was chocolate that got me into trouble in the first place - so I have a tendency to snack on exclusively sweet things like cereal bars, popcorn, fruit, jelly and yoghurt, which are lovely, but not as satisfying as something protein-rich. One change I made to lose the last stone was axing the coco pops in the morning and going for eggs/fish/beans on toast, that kind of thing. Seems to keep me fuller for longer. I still have the sweet snacks, though! Also, I was eating plenty but when I looked at my fat intake, it was too low. So I make an effort to get the oily fish in now, have the odd portion of brazil nuts, and don't stint on the rapeseed oil-based dressings. Easy to forget that the body needs its good essential fats.

One thing I've found is that you'll hit plateaus where the body seems to get too used to what you're eating. This was tough for me because when I find foods I like and get into a routine that works, I don't want to change it. But varying things up and choosing a new food regularly, or slightly changing the portion sizes or times when you eat... seems to budge the body back into cooperating.

1300 sounds reasonable to me for steady weight loss. If you find you're too hungry you can try tweaking up a bit to 1400 for a week and seeing what happens. Or if the weight loss is too slow, or as you lose weight and need less calories, you can edge it down a little to 1250. I wouldn't go much lower than that, though. Sounds like you have a hectic life, and trying to cut too low would leave you drained and miserable.

Crikey, this has turned into War and Peace. I'll quit nattering now! If you need any more tips for yummy low-cal stuff, let me know! :)

oh my god thanks a million for all your advice. Yup u are right, its straight to work then i grab a scone and soya milk latte around 9 every morning,then i find at one im lost and its the same sandwich or wrap cause by time lunch comes im starving. Boiled eggs great idea thanks a million, never thought of them. Also i read somewhere beans and one slice of toast is a good start to the day. Special K also. I might eat Special K for breakfast and 1pm to get me on track again and nibble on fruit. Time to cop on now.

Weight watchers are great for keeping your points and calories at bay. I just need to go and do a good shopping and no more excuses. I have a sweet tooth, i heard the Twister Ice Creams are only 1 1/2 points in Weight W and ill get them skinny choc cow ones they sound lovely.

13 months is brilliant to lose 7 1/2 stone, im 13 at the moment and would love to get down to 9. So im going to take all your advice, keep to 1300 calories a day and it should start to fall off. :)

I use to always eat the sugarfree jelly when i lost 2 stone with WW before so think ill start eating it again, thanks a million again for your advice xx

How far is your commute to work Caroline? Is there any way you could walk part of the way, say even to the train station for example? Is it too far/dangerous to cycle? Could you maybe utilise your lunch hour? You could go for a short walk or join a gym near work?

maybe purchase a water bottle...just keep it by you always, you would be amazed at the energy water can give you

lunch is impossible to plan we are so busy hardly get time to eat, train gets in around 9 so can only go straight on train but i do walk over to the station in the evenings but thats only ten mins :( the commute is approx 2 hrs depends which train i get. Could cycle to the station in the mornings and home in the evenings but it is a dangerous road :( i bought the WII fit so going to make time every evening for that hopefully

maybe purchase a water bottle...just keep it by you always, you would be amazed at the energy water can give you
yea? didnt no that, ill put a water bottle in my bag so no excuses

I get where you're coming from hun. I'm out of the house for 13 hours a day between work and uni-ended up putting on about 2 stone, and it was mainly due to not being able to plan meals properly and the dreaded vending machine. Now I make up a protein shake when I get up and drink it on the bus to work, I bring nuts and seeds to snack on and try to eat lean protein and salads for lunch. And I never bring money to work now. It's not easy though :( But once you manage to find a bit of time for exercise you'll be amazed at how much energy you'll have. Plus the 'me time' does you the world of good.

yea? didnt no that, ill put a water bottle in my bag so no excuses

well in the last month ive gone from drinking literally no water to 4-5 litres a day easy...

and i work from 6am which is a struggle normally but as of late waking up is alot better and i have alot more energy through the day, where as normally id crash and fall asleep within an hour of getting home

:Dhm im the same i dont drink much water, ill start tomorrow

I get where you're coming from hun. I'm out of the house for 13 hours a day between work and uni-ended up putting on about 2 stone, and it was mainly due to not being able to plan meals properly and the dreaded vending machine. Now I make up a protein shake when I get up and drink it on the bus to work, I bring nuts and seeds to snack on and try to eat lean protein and salads for lunch. And I never bring money to work now. It's not easy though :( But once you manage to find a bit of time for exercise you'll be amazed at how much energy you'll have. Plus the 'me time' does you the world of good.
ah yea im defo going to have to stop bringing money to work and just lunch cause i go down to Centre with great intentions of getting something healty then cant resist temptation :cry:

hi caroline_ireland, I remember you from a few weeks ago, let us know how your getting on, routine is everything once your in a healthy eating routine as well as ocuping yourself then you wont have so many problems with hunger.

for me I dont really calorie count I just have 3 meals a day and a few snacks, although I stay clear of those ready meals, I find them tasting of salt at times although not tried the weight watchers ones, I'm sure they cut the salt and the sugar, everything in moderation thats the key.

One change I made to lose the last stone was axing the coco pops in the morning and going for eggs/fish/beans on toast, that kind of thing. Seems to keep me fuller for longer.

I like to eat 2 weatabix in the morning(without the sugar) thats quite filling too.

hi georgiestar, yup went back to ww but couldnt get to go so gave up :( i think ive tried everything at this stage. Love weetabix have to just organise what im going to eat every day and fingers crossed, sometimes i think food is evil as i cant say no :mad:

Back