I got 'told off' for talking at work today!!!!!

Margery Dawe

Silver Member
I had a meeting with my line manager today about something and she mentioned that when she came out of her meeting this morning I was talking to someone. She has taken some of my duties off me at the moment to help with year end (I work in accounts) as I have lots to do and she said 'I don't mind helping with your work, but not when you are sitting chatting to people'!!!!!

WTF - I have been on annual leave last week looking after the new puppy and was just talking to the woman that sits next to me. It was only a brief conversation, but bl00dy hell, surely to make it a nice place to work we can chat!!!!! She did say that she is stressed and is very busy (she is charge of year end this year!!) and ignore her, but why say something if she wanted me to ignore it!?!

She is very young and is very good at her job and got a good promotion last year and became my line manager. She does have issues about people taking when they should be working, but I hardly ever sit and talk to people. I didn't say anything in the meeting, but the more I think about it, the crosser I am getting.

I have my appraisal at the end of the week and I am going to say that I didn't appreciate her saying that and that I hardly ever talk and just because I happened to be chatting when she came out of her meeting, it doesn't mean I have been all morning.

RANT OVER!!!!!

I think it is pants when you feel something is not justified. If you had been wasting time you would have thought o.k. fair cop and just accepted the reprimand but when it is not justified it really hurts.

If I was you I would cuddle a furry baby and feel the stress melt away.

To cheer you up .............

spinone-italiano.jpg

hugs xxxxxx

She is stressed, she is busy, she is very young, she has taken on some extra work. And maybe she opened her mouth to say something and it came out all wrong.

We've all done it.

I think it is pants when you feel something is not justified. If you had been wasting time you would have thought o.k. fair cop and just accepted the reprimand but when it is not justified it really hurts.

If I was you I would cuddle a furry baby and feel the stress melt away.

To cheer you up .............

spinone-italiano.jpg

hugs xxxxxx

Thanks Sue, that did make me smile :)

She is stressed, she is busy, she is very young, she has taken on some extra work. And maybe she opened her mouth to say something and it came out all wrong.

We've all done it.

Yes maybe, but why take it out on me. It's not a very professional thing to do is it. She obviously has an issue with people taking in the office as she is always making remarks about it. But I think it is unfair to say something to me on one of the very odd occasions I am speaking to someone. It was certainly by no means a long conversation, merely chatting and to pull me up on that is not on in my opinion.

Surely you can not be expected to get through a days work with no interaction. Seems a bit harsh to me.

It's unfair to point out that you were chatting when she came out of the meeting. It's only something she should bring up if she feels you are always chatting whenever she looks over!
If she has a problem with anyone talking at all, it's probably because she is young and has this new promotion, and feels like she has to prove herself to her superiors. Hopefully she'll relax a bit once she settles into her role.

The combination of power, inexperience, youth and probably lack of life skills is showing here.

Even moreso when advising you to ignore her.

Cut her some slack, but do have a quiet word and it was sufficient to bother you.

Back