I hate my scales

xxlettyxx

Seeing as it's Wednesday I decided to have a midweek peek at the scales when I got up to see what's happening, and I'm 2.5lb up from Sunday (weigh day) :(

I'm trying to think of reasons. My daily calorie target is 1200. On Sunday I had 1385; on Monday I slipped a bit and went up to about 1800; and yesterday I was back on track, having 1120. So I have gone over slightly, but 2.5lb?! That's equivalent to 8750 calories. The only other change I can think of is that I'm drinking more water this week, about 2 litres a day from next to nothing, but I thought this would stop fluid retention instead of making me heavier?

Sorry for the rant ladies :eek: just feeling a bit frustrated.

Don't take mid-week peeks too seriously. There is a very good reason why weigh in's should be once a week and at the same time and in the same conditions. Our bodies go through all different stages of full tummies, water retention, TOTM cycles... I'm up today because I had pizza last night and I have a full belly, but I know it's not a true reflection of the rest of my hard work this week, plus my hard work for the rest of the week is going to pay off come weigh in!

Keep on trucking!!!

xxx

Thanks Lindsey :) you keep coming to my rescue lol. I always weigh first thing in the morning anyway. I know I shouldn't freak out too much about it, but it's just a bit deflating. I'm going to have a good four days and see what happens on official weigh day.

That's ok. It's so hard losing weight. I get so self absorbed and embroiled in it all, I find it so easy to lose perspective on the matter. I always need a good rant and some good people (minimins) to help me see the wood for the trees!!! You are not alone and you are doing brilliantly!!! x

I've gone up about the same too but I know mine is water weight. I have forgotton to take my psyllium husk for the last few days. Now my ankles are cankles and feel like play doh. If it doesnt start shifting by tonight I will have to have one of my diuretics (hate taking them as i'm up literally every 5 miniutes to pee)

You can't have gained 2.5lbs in fat in 3 days so its water weight. Likely culprit is high salt foods, just drink enough to keep flushing it thru and I'm sure you'll be posting another loss along with me on Sunday (and if I'm not showing a loss you will see my rattle thrown from the pram lol)

Lindsey, you're helping me see the wood for those damn trees :) I do tend to get slightly obsessed and dramatic!

Hi CatCrazy! Urgh, it's happening to you too? What are the signs of water retention? I wouldn't really know if I was retaining or not. Just flicking back through my diary looking for salty foods I've had - I had an Asda good for you lasagne on Monday night, fine calorie-wise but no doubt very high in salt! Three savoury rice cakes yesterday as well, probably quite salty.

That leads me nicely to another question actually - how important do you both think the nutritional quality of the food we eat is, particularly in terms of weight loss? I mean, obviously 1200 calories' worth of fruit, veg, lean protein and complex carbs is going to be far healthier than 1200 calories' worth of chocolate, but would there be a difference in potential weight loss between either diet? I eat quite of lot of fruit and veg anyway.. I tend to feel like a failure if I have something like chocolate, even if it's counted in my calories. Thinking this might be a bit silly of me?

They say a lb is 3500 calories and this is what i'm working off but I think 1600 of good carbs, fats and proteins and veg would be better for weight loss that 1200 calories of pure crud...but thats just my opinion. I think the harcombe diet (not sure of the spelling) is questioning the same thing but not read enough yet. (i may have totally misunderstood everything i've read so far lol!)

And yes I think its daft to feel guilty for having a bit of what you fancy providing its within your calories. This is for life, do you really want to live the rest of it feeling guilty when you enjoy a bit of chocolate etc? Guilt is also more likely to make you feel like you've failed, feeling like that is more likely to see you quit and as far as I'm concerned quitting is not an option so if I fancy something, I have it, in moderation and within my calories. The only thing I haven't given in to was a strange craving for custard and the only reason I didn't have it was because it was 1a.m and I wasn't going to cook at that time!

I had Dominos last night!!! Clearly I could not care less about nutritional value, lol!!!

I do try and have plent of veg and lean meat... but I'm only human and despite the american take over Cadbury's still tastes so good!!!

Even though I still allow naughtiness in my life I have made HUGE changes and I am proud of this... well today I am proud... some days I look in the mirror and still think I suck, lol!!!

Seriously don't lose sight of that wood... those pesky trees are no good for us!!!

xxx

Hey letty, as the others have said, it must be water retention hun, you cant have gained 2.5lbs of fat in a few days!

I am exactly like you though, I hop off and on the scales daily and its so wrong of me! I really am going to try and just stick to my WI day which is Friday.

Keep at it chick, your doing great xxx

CatCrazy - I've never heard of the Harcombe diet, I'm going to look into it because I'd be very interested to know! You're right about the guilt thing as well. I dunno, I'm prone to obsession/perfectionism and I really have to try hard to control it. I'm going to have some chocolate now :D (mini Milky Way - 69 cals).

Lindsey, you are doing so well, I need to take a leaf out of your book! Have to stop being afraid of some reasonable naughtiness!

And Tink, thanks :) I don't know if I could only weigh once a week! The suspense just kills me! I think I need to start working on my unnecessary worrying more than anything, that's the real problem. It's not just food either, I worry about so many things!

Hi. :)

I'm a bit the opposite to you and not weighing at all at the moment! It's like.. you know some people go on, say, a detox or a juice fast or something like that to feel healthier inside. Well I feel like I'm doing that but with scales - almost to detox from the obsession lol. :) I don't know if I explained that very well, sorry!

If you're sticking roughly to having a good amount of calories for your circumstances etc, which it sounds like you are (and are doing great) then I'm positive you'll be fine. It could be so many things (salt, totm, food weight, etc) and weight likes to fluctuate a little anyway.

Know that you are doing ok and that is what is important. Even if the scales show a slight, slight gain you are doing your very best and you will still get there. So know that and be proud of yourself. :) Often I've lost nothing one week and lots the next.

I understand about the perfection thing. I'm a perfectionist in some areas of my life but I'm learning it's so helpful and healthy to let go of it at times.

Personally I prefer to eat healthily but that's definitely not because I'm a saint, no way! It's because I just feel better emotionally and physically that way. :)

But never feel guilty for having your treats (mine would have to be cheese, mmm) and indulgences. It's fine, it's healthy, it's yummy! Just try not to go too overboard.

Boy have I waffled on! Take care. xx

Thanks :) I'm really trying to let go of the perfectionist thing. I had two mini milky ways yesterday and forced myself to be OK with it as they were within my calories!

I got on the scales again this morning and the 2.5lb have disappeared, back down to Sunday's weight. I'm going to make an effort to stay away from the scales next week because that really hacked me off yesterday! Lol.

I've just put some random pics of me into an album, don't usually upload pics to forums! But I'm OK with it.

Thanks for all your nice words and encouragement, it's sooooo helpful to have people who understand to sound off to :D

Back