I have plateaued and I need some advice!

Hi there guys, I started my weight loss journey about 3 years ago (October 2009) and I'm down from my original 198lbs to 127.4, so I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself, I did it all through calorie counting (1200 a day) and occasional bouts of exercise. Over the past year I haven't been calorie counting as religiously as I did in the beginning but I know that for the most part I've always averaged on about 1000-1400 calories a day, barring special occasions!
However now I'm nearing my 115lb goal my weight loss has seriously slowed down and so it's back to carrying my food diary and a pen around, I've been back on this properly for about two months with regular weight ins and I've started a pretty good exercise regime, but I'm now only really losing about 1lb every fortnight, if not I maintain. Where I'm now a relatively healthy weight for my height (5'1) I'm not hoping for the 2-3lb weekly loss I had in the beginning, but I'm really aiming for about 1lb a week, and I'm wondering if this is because my body has metabolised and gotten used to the low calorie intake, as it's been roughly the same for the past 3 years.
Ideally I want to have hit my goal at about July, and so my question is this; if I keep up my exercise regime, but slowly bump my calories up to 1600-2000ish every day, keep that up for a month or so, and THEN drop my calories back down to about 1000-1200, will this kickstart my weight loss again? Or if I'm completely wrong about this, what can I do to push past this plateau? Thanks in advance for any advice, and sorry for the essay of a post :p xx.

I'm not really sure as I didn't plateau but I'm 5ft exactly and I if I don't exercise then 1200 calories is only 250 calories below my maintenance calories which would put me at 0.5lbs loss a week or 1lb a fortnight.

Some people plateau if they don't eat enough calories (advised at 1200 minimum net, so eating back all exercise calories if you're only eating 1200 a day)

I think for your height and weight now then 1lb a fortnight is very very normal, you may find you struggle to lose more at this point whatever you do.

When I was losing my last stone some weeks I was losing 1lb, some 0.3lbs and some nothing at all. It took me 7 months to lose the last stone with eating 1200 a day. I lost the first 4.5 in 4 months! That was on a vlcd though.

Blimey you've done amazingly! I never eat back my exercise calories, but I'll try to start doing that and see if it makes a difference. I do struggle to meet my 1200 allowance sometimes, and on average I burn off about 600 calories every day - the idea of eating what is technically 1800 every day seems insane to me :eek:.

Thank you, it was all worth it.

I would suggest trying to up calories or at least eat back the majority of your exercise calories.

I love the days I can eat more now but was terrified when I first started doing it.

You may gain the first week as your body will want to hold on to the extra you're giving it but after a couple weeks it should start to shift again.

My weight now fluctuates between 112lbs and 115lbs, usually at 113lbs. I don't want to keep changing my stats so I have put it as the average lol.

I think I am more obsessive now I'm maintaing than I was losing as when I was losing it was easy. I haven't gained yet but it's always in the back of my mind. As long as I stay at or below my goal weight I'm ok

I weighed in today at 125.6 so I don't know what happened there that gave me a 1.8lb loss in a week, but yesterday was the first day I ate back my E.C. so maybe someone's trying to tell me something :p. I'm going to try and up my daily allowance to about 1400 and definitely eat back my calories, if I burn off 600 a day as usual on 1400 I'll at least try and eat back up to 1200, I suppose in retrospect I was only surviving on 600 a day and even I realise that's no good. Thanks so much for your advice.

Last edited:
No worries. I'm glad it's moving for you again.

If you're anything like me (being a shorty) keeping it at 1200 should be fine as long as you eat back most of those exerice calories

As you get nearer your target weight it is going to get harder to lose the weight. Maybe try calorie cycling,but your current weight loss is reasonable.

Back