I have to go PV for the next 10 days!

October

I am heading off on a family holiday (in-laws, not my actual family)

As much as I've been doing pretty well on this diet (5th week in and 7kg lost) I'm not going to be able to stick to PP very successfully. I just can't be bothered dealing with the endless and inevitable comments and discussion about my diet.

I am also going to have to have to have a few drinks (trust me, it's for survival, they're a stressful bunch!)

We've rented a cottage so will mostly be eating in. My plan is to eat as much lean meat and salad/steamed veg as possible, sticking to oat bran and then yoghurt for snacks. I am also going to drink gin & slimline tonic (not too many!)

So, does anyone have any particular advice for me? I realise this is risky but perhaps someone has done similar without too much weight gain at the end??

I'll be able to take lots of long walks, but any tips would be most welcome!

dont worry drink extra water and try not to crack for carbs and when you get back put in a couple of pp days to compensate

good luck

Gosh families are stressful aren't they!
Just don't let them drive you to the biscuit barrell - if you feel yourself cracking, go Atkins rather than carbs!

Drink plenty of water and go on lots and lots of long walks.

When you get back (in one piece) just do a few pp days in a row, and you should be back on track.

Good luck!

fortunately they are not huge eaters, so there probably won't be too many biscuits lying around.

The downside of this is that the size of the protein servings doesn't tend to be huge, so when I can't eat the accompanying carbs it leaves me staaarrving! will have to plan.

Thanks for advice! fingers crossed. Have done more PP days in preparation already.......

(sneak extra protein in with you)

Yup. Atropos has mentioned biltong on a thread before. It's a good sneaky protein cos it doesn't need to be stored in the fridge so u can keep it in your luggage, no one will know.

can you sneak some tins of tuna and salmon

Sorry - no advice as I'm newbie to this diet but I hope you have a lovely holiday - I will be watching how you do as I am on holiday in just over 5 weeks and am thinking ahead to how Im going to manage that without undoing all my hard work!

Take canned fish if you eat it and get some eggs. Scrambled eggs make a good substitute as a side.
Maybe make some muffins/cake with tofu in.

Well done on having a good think about it, sounds like youve got a good plan.

Saying No is your most powerful weapon.

1st of all don't worry.............like everyone says go for lovely long walks, which has 2 benefits: 1. lots of exercise 2. you're away from the inlaws also, & while your on these nice walks, why not wander down to a lovely pub & have a steak or something to similar, then you probably won't be so hungry when you return in the evening to the 'ration' size portion of protein.
But most importantly, have a great time!!!:rolleyes:

1st of all don't worry.............like everyone says go for lovely long walks, which has 2 benefits: 1. lots of exercise 2. you're away from the inlaws also, & while your on these nice walks, why not wander down to a lovely pub & have a steak or something to similar, then you probably won't be so hungry when you return in the evening to the 'ration' size portion of protein.
But most importantly, have a great time!!!:rolleyes:

OMG - I never thought of that. When I think of all the long walks on the beach I took to avoid family outings last year, and ended up drinking coffee - when I could have been treating myself to steak "for medicinal purposes".

It almost persuades me family holidays are worth it!

heehee thank you all for your replies.

I never thought of the steak idea! I'll see how I go. And I'm packing my tins of tuna and Total 0 right now.....

I have already been quite crafty and got everyone excited about tennis and horse-riding options, so now hopefully the kids will insist and I'll get some extra exercise in :)

I have actually been thinking of stopping Dukan, or at least partially stopping and switching to PV (have been having lower back pain and not sure I'm losing all that much weight - or rather, no more than I usually do when I'm exercising and being careful) I'm NOT going to stop just yet, but I am going to use this PV enforced 10 days as a test to see how I feel when I get back (and how much weight I've put on - eeek!)

Now I'm just praying for good weather - rain and 9ppl in one small cottage would not a happy household make!

Thanks all!

Eeeeek. It didn't go so well.

I made it through first 6/7 days fairly successfully - but on Friday I had to eat bread as nothing else was available and we were starving (honestly, were caught in the middle of nowhere, no shops and on a hike) Then I lost my resolve and decided to give myself a 'day off' and it turned into 2 days........

So now I'm back, have gained at least 2 kilos and am now 3 kgs heavier than I am supposed to be to be on track for Dukan :-(

I was hoping to hit goal by mid-October (going on holiday) and now I don't feel it's possible. Feeling very demoralised and thinking about quitting.

Might post this again as a new thread to seek advice as I'm not sure anyone will see this......

Don't worry, do some PP days, lots of water and you will soon be back on track. You did well to stick to it for 6 days on holiday when you are not so in control of what you are eating. You will probably find a few of those lbs just melt off in the next day or so anyway.

Congrats for staying on track so long, and for getting back on the track so soon (it's so easy to make a day off into a week/month/"I'll start again next monday")

As Poppy says, a few days pp, water, walking and back to cruise should shed most of the gain - and this is good practise for consolidation/future holidays.

i hope so. I have decided to give this diet 2 more weeks and see if it still works as well as it initially did.

I am losing weight, but not convinced that is because of the diet as much as the exercise I've been doing.

will see.....

If you do decide not to continue (and while exercise plays a part in this, remember that weight loss as opposed to toning is unlikely to be the result of exercise alone, as muscle weighs more than fat), then I strongly suggest that you move into the conso stage for a while, rather than stop dead, to as to minimise the "bounce effect" that can lead to rapid weight gain.

Thanks for that Atropos - I have only just seen this post a week later

I am indeed taking your advice - I HAVE decided to stop - sort of anyway.

Am sticking to no bread, pasta and no added sugars. I am planning to have 2 PP days each week, and the rest of the time just the same as I've been doing, but with more salads & veges etc. Allowing myself alchohol once a week if there is something on (i never drink at home so it's only if I'm out)

I still have another 10kg to lose (and a 6 week holiday goal to kickstart me) so I'm adamant about sticking to it and being organised.

One thing I am trying to find out is which other bits of dukan I should keep - is it wise to stick to my 2 tbspns of oat bran for breakfast for example?

Anyway not going anywhere - will still be mooching around here for advice :)

Back