I made a mousse! What did I do wrong?

Mumof2girls

Got all excited, planned on having my yummy choc mousse watching Jonathan Ross tonight. I did it exactly as it said on the tin... only thing was I didnt have a level with it, so I used a teaspoon of the mix a mousse (rounded) set my watch for 10 mins and .... big dissapointment, twas like custard consistency? I thought it would be set. Is that it? Do I give up hope or is there anyway of making it more set?

Thanks... :cry: I was soo looking forward to it :(

Hi :)

Did you mix it/whizz it constantly for 1 minute? Don't feel too peed off or give up hun, most of us have not got the result we wanted first time around.

Lacey..xx :D

Sounds like too much water or not enough mix-a-mousse. Did you not get a scoop in the tub? Use less water than you would for a shake. I usually use about 200ml water and leave it in the fridge for 20 minutes.

put a level scoop ( blue, check its not buried in the tub ) in to the shake packet and give it a good mix ( i put the powders in the food proccesser to do that ) then add 200ml of water and whizz for a minute.
pour into a bowl and put in the fridge for 15 - 20 mins ( i leave mine for 30 mins )

What would I do without you!!!!

First of all I did whizz it for one minute, I used the hand blender I use to blend my daughter's purees. Would I be better off using my electrical whisk (you know the ones to whisk up cream?)

It said on the tin to use 150mls of very cold water which I did.. only left it 10 mins in the fridge (is there something about the goodness going out of these things if not eaten within 15 mins?

And... thanks I did a bit of digging and found the blue scoop!! I'd imagine it would hold quite a bit more than a teaspoon.

Honestly, you would think I was planning a marathon... hope you understand... its the weekend... I am just having shakes/soups again... and this mousse was a tiny (but big) thing I was looking forward to. I think I am losing the plot... reading this back I sound ridiculous! :argh:

No, you aren't losing the plot! I am failing miserably with the mousse, yet my son tells me they are really delicious and thick like real mousse! Apparently, he was told to put the water into the freezer until ice starts to form on it, then use a blender to mix it all together with no more than 200mls of the icy water. Leave for 20 minutes and it should go like real mousse! I am still trying for success!
I also put a tetra in the freezer today to have a go at the 'ice cream' but for some reason, it is staying runny! Perhaps it needs overnight. Have you tried that yet?
I got excited today over my bouillon drink - which is actually quite nice! Oh, how easily pleased we are!!!

Chris
x

I'm telling ya Grandma! I am on Project M now till I get it right... DH had a taste of mine (his arm would've been chopped off if he tried for more) and he thought it was gorgeous. Fine for him to say after he ate his fish n chips tonight, but I had hoped it would be solid!

Let me know if you conquer it! I'll give it another go tomorrow night.

I havent tried the tetra in the freezer, havent got any tetras though. I could drive myself mad with that one also!

What would I do without you!!!!

First of all I did whizz it for one minute, I used the hand blender I use to blend my daughter's purees. Would I be better off using my electrical whisk (you know the ones to whisk up cream?)

It said on the tin to use 150mls of very cold water which I did.. only left it 10 mins in the fridge (is there something about the goodness going out of these things if not eaten within 15 mins?

And... thanks I did a bit of digging and found the blue scoop!! I'd imagine it would hold quite a bit more than a teaspoon.

Honestly, you would think I was planning a marathon... hope you understand... its the weekend... I am just having shakes/soups again... and this mousse was a tiny (but big) thing I was looking forward to. I think I am losing the plot... reading this back I sound ridiculous! :argh:

When your choices are limited to what you can eat hun, I think most of us get very excited and very passionate about getting it just right ;):D

(((((Mumof2girls))))) you're not nuts! I think about everyone here has gone through the same kind of thing. I once ate what looked like the remains in the bottom of the crisp packet because I'd tried to make crisps with a soup and they'd all stuck. They were tiny by the time I got most of them off the plate, lol.

Back