I need a scary movie!!

swanjack

Hi all

Calling in the troops now. Ive recently started dating a girl and found out a couple of weeks back she's a bit of a horror movie fan... so last week I selected a film that scared the bejesus out of me in the cinema: Drag me to hell.

She laughed at the selection and teased me for days after saying it was more a comedy and didnt even make "thriller" status. Bah! Im a bit of a movie buff, but have never really ventured into horror because I can take it or leave it. This week though, I need to scare the socks off her!

So I need suggestions for scary films, pleeeassse! I dont really like "old style" films and would prefer the newer (1995 or later) films. I am clueless with scary films and would rather go spend my readies on something I know she will get a buzz from rather than another fiasco :cry:

Thanks guys

Jim

'Isolation' might be a good one. It's about a killer mutant cow feotus. It's kind of funny aswell, but amusing to watch. Scared me a little bit because I was living right next to a dairy farm at the time and could actually hear the cows from my room lol!

I'll try to think of more films tonight :)

That has to be the best synopsis for a film ever lol what film that has "mutant cow fetus" in the sentence cant be good viewing?/

Will pick that one up!

It's a really random film, similar to Black Sheep. If you haven't seen that, its about killer sheep. Thats meant to be a comedy but Isolation isn't. Definately good to watch at least once lol.

Trying to think of other films but if shes a horror fan she'll have probably seen loads already. Ermmmm, 2001 maniacs is good, that has the guy who plays Freddy Kruger. Cube Zero, Pathology, [REC], Planet Terror, Mirrors (not too scary but still good), Halloween (rob zombie remake), Untraceable. Possibly Teeth but thats more scary for guys lol! Can't think of many more atm.

If your after geniunely creepy horror you want to be looking at japanese stuff - very dark surreal and crazy!

Some good examples are the original versions of the ring, dark water, the grudge (before america destroyed them completely!) noroi, jigoku and alone,however, the most unnerving thing ive watched in a long time is 3 extremes which is 3 stories from 3 directors well worth checking out

I LOVE horror films!
How bout....
The texas chainsaw massacre
Eden lake
Diary of the dead
My bloody valentine
28 days later/28 weeks later
Cabin fever
Laid to rest...this is very,very gory.

I can probably go on forever here but I will leave it at that.
Good luck scaring your dates socks off!

I LOVE horror films!
How bout....
The texas chainsaw massacre
Eden lake
Diary of the dead
My bloody valentine
28 days later/28 weeks later
Cabin fever
Laid to rest...this is very,very gory.

I can probably go on forever here but I will leave it at that.
Good luck scaring your dates socks off!

I was going to say My Bloody Valentine, but it's not that great in 3D on dvd. Was good at the cinema though but was just disappointed with the 3Dness when I got the dvd lol. Might be ok if you haven't seen it before though.

Paranormal Activity is good and comes out on dvd on monday I think.

I'm a big fan of horror and as suggested before, Japanese cinema is pretty disturbing. It depends if she likes films that make you jump, films that disturb you, violent/gory films or comedic gore. I will list some in groups which kind of explain their main features. You should look them up on IMDB or bloodydisgusting.com for more detailed explainations!

Violent/Gory/Disturbing:

Switchblade Romance [Haute tension] (FR)
Inside [À l'intérieur] (FR)
Martyrs (FR)
Frontiers [Frontière] (FR)
Hostel 1 + 2 (USA)
Cabin Fever (USA)
Dumplings (CHINA)
3 Extremes [Sam gang yi] (JP + CHINA)
Creep (ENG)

Jumpy/Scary/Haunting/Ghosts:

Shutter (THAI)
Ringu (JP)
Dark Water (JP)
Pulse [Kairo] (JP)
One Missed Call [Chakushin ari] (JP)
The Grudge [Ju-On] (JP)
Phone [Pon] (KOREA)
Tale of Two Sisters [Janghwa, Hongryeon] (KOREA)
The Ring (ENG)
The Grudge (ENG)
The Descent (ENG)
REC (SPAIN)
Ghost Watch (ENG)
Paranormal Activity (ENG)
The Others (ENG)

Disturbing/Cruel:

Session 9 (ENG)
House of 1000 Corpses (ENG)
Devils's Rejects (ENG)
Wolf Creek (ENG)
Eden Lake (ENG)
Funny Games original and Remake (GERMAN) (ENG)
Blair Witch Project (ENG)
Jacobs Ladder (ENG)
Eraserhead (ENG)

Comedic Gore/ Monsters/ Werewolfs/ Zombies:

Evil Dead 1, 2 + 3 (ENG)
Teeth (ENG)
Braindead (ENG)
Dead End (ENG)
The Mist 2007 (ENG)
Ginger Snaps (ENG)
Dawn of the Dead 70's + remake (ENG)
28 Days later + 28 Weeks later (ENG)
Land of the Dead (ENG)
Zombieland (ENG)
Midnight Meat Train (ENG)
Dog Soldiers (ENG)
The Host [Gwoemul] (KOREA)
Cloverfield (ENG)

Slashers/Classics/Serial Killers:

Cherry Falls (ENG)
Scream 1, 2 + 3 (ENG)
Halloween [original + Rob Zombie remake] (ENG)
Nightmare on Elm Street [all of them] (ENG)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (ENG)
Hellraiser (ENG)
The Candyman (ENG)
Friday the 13th (ENG)
House of Wax (ENG)
The Frightners (ENG)
House on Haunted Hill/ new + old (ENG)
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer (ENG)
Jeepers Creepers (ENG)
Dead Silence (ENG)
Stay Alive (ENG)
Silence of the Lambs (ENG)
Copycat (ENG)
Seven (ENG)
Hannibal (ENG)
Murder by Numbers (ENG)
Saw 1,2,3,4,5+6 [lol] (ENG)
Prom Night original (ENG)
The Thing (ENG)
The Shining (ENG)

Ok I think thats enough for now, lol.

I'

Hostel 1 + 2 (USA)
Cabin Fever (USA)

Creep (ENG)
Shutter (THAI)

Pulse [Kairo] (JP)
One Missed Call [Chakushin ari] (JP)
The Grudge [Ju-On] (JP)
The Ring (ENG)
The Grudge (ENG)
House of 1000 Corpses (ENG)
28 Days later + 28 Weeks later (ENG)
Land of the Dead (ENG)
Cherry Falls (ENG)
Scream 1, 2 + 3 (ENG)
Halloween [original + Rob Zombie remake] (ENG)
Nightmare on Elm Street [all of them] (ENG)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (ENG)
Hellraiser (ENG)
The Candyman (ENG)
Friday the 13th (ENG)
House of Wax (ENG)
The Frightners (ENG)
House on Haunted Hill/ new + old (ENG)
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer (ENG)
Jeepers Creepers (ENG)
Dead Silence (ENG)
Stay Alive (ENG)
Silence of the Lambs (ENG)
Copycat (ENG)
Seven (ENG)
Hannibal (ENG)
Murder by Numbers (ENG)
Saw 1,2,3,4,5+6 [lol] (ENG)
Prom Night original (ENG)
The Thing (ENG)
The Shining (ENG)

This edited version of the list is my ideal dvd weekend! I'd also highly recommend the original Last House On The Left by Wes Craven. It's WAY older than 1995, but twas banned for a few erm, decades!

I'm a huge horror fan, my favourites are the ones that play on your mind a bit, you know the oh this could possibly happen types like Final Destination and The Strangers. I also love the Saw series, but that's cuz I'm also a huge fan of gore.

Treat her to some of the classics and you'll be fine

I watched Paranormal Activity when it was at the cinemas and still have odd nights listening to the house as i try to sleep :D

My OH slept down on the sofa one night and said never again as he had a nightmare that he had been pulled over to our dvd stand in the room. I said that was awful, i'd hate anything to happen to the dvd collection :D

love it cee! gotta look after that dvd collection.

just adding another one to the list that scared the bejesus outta me, Darkness Falls. slept with light on for weeks. also The Exorcism of Emily Rose (think i got the name right) was pretty freaky as well.

It definately depends on the type of horror fan she is.. Ima lover of allthings disturbingand gory..but slashes scare the hell outta me! :eek:
Loving Chillimangos list, definately recommend The Descent, a great british scary film and think the sequel is out around now too (havent seen it yet sadly).
Eden Lake is also an amazing film.. very disturbing.. its not the goriest/scariest of films but man it really makes an impact on you long after the film.
For pure gore..definately the hostel films :D i think im a bit weird I enjoy that, and the saw ones too.

The scariest films of my life are the slashers and creepy films like Candyman and the original nightmare on elm streets..I watched it when I was like 13 and couldnt sleep properly for days.never gotten over that one.. Im avoiding the remake!

I watched 'Paranormal Activity' and it scared the hell outta me. I'm a huge fan of horror movies too and normally it takes a lot to scare me.
Stay away from the films that just consist of gore since they are not very scary. Films based on true events can be quite frightening.

What about Rob Zombie films, like house of a 1000 corpses?

I don't find 'scary' films scary, but something about his films creep me the hell out.

Thanks all for your suggestions - we actually watched Paranormal Activity in the end and she was terrified and it was great. I mean that in a non-sadistic way. Top film!!

house of 1000 corpses is very good, made by the same guy who made devils rejects. rob zombie his name is.

Paranormal Activity made me sit up and take notice

I just finished watching the japanese horror "Suicide Club" ,
"Audition" is another great one...
My fave horror movie has got to be "house of 1000 corpses" though
"Eden Lake" is another nice disturbing film :)

It probably doesn't matter anymore lol... but there's a few ideas for ya anyway :)

Back