Errr, I need to lose half my body weight? Yikes.

Scary Biscuits indeed.

Hello! After the realisation that I have an awful lot of weight to lose, I thought I could do with a little support and hopefully encourage others that look at the scales and think yikes, How did that HAPPEN???

I've always been a healthy weight, not skinny, just normal with healthy curves. However, I have never been happy with how I look. I have always felt MASSIVE. And I believe because of that feeling I never really noticed how big I was when I started putting on weight. And it has just escalated.

According to various health type folk my goal weight should be 8 stone. Well I haven't been 8 stone since I was 16, I believe a far more realistic weight for my body and shape is between 8.5 - 9 stone.

I currently weight 16 stone.

So yes, I need to pretty much shed half of myself. And short of cutting myself in half, here I begin my journey. My journey to get back to the person I was, to wear those clothes packed in suitcases under the bed and to not hope every morning for rain so I can cover myself in layers and layers of clothing.

I gained a little weight after meeting my now husband. And was probably around the 10 stone mark when I got married. I very quickly fell pregnant, and therefore put on a little bit more weight. I think after having my child last year I was 12.5 stone. Since I stopped breastfeeding (and began eating far to much and moving far to little) I have increased to 16 stone.

But no more. I haven't particularly tried to diet or lose weight since before my wedding, so am hoping that now I am in the right mind-set I can beat this.

So what's the plan? I'm not a fan of weight clubs or strict recipe following diets. Not sure why, as I haven't had any particular experience with either, probably pure ignorance but I maintain that I would like to do this mainly on my own. This may be my downfall. Or it may motivate me further to prove myself. That I am indeed capable of tackling this. Having said that, and not wishing to be hypocritical, I am considering trying the national slimming centre, after a recommendation for their super appetite suppressant pills. I have read reviews and though part of me worries as this is obviously not a long term solution, I believe it could be a good kick start if I try them for a month. I have booked an appointment to talk with them and will wait and see.

Other than that, I very much like the idea of the 5:2 diet, 500 cals could be tough but I like the idea, can see how it could work. It's obviously fairly flexible and you can make it work to you without to much effort.

Also I need to move. Obviously. I move fair too little. A couch potato one may say. I love never better than snuggling with my baby reading books, watching films and playing games. But this only contributes to constant grazing.

So I know what I need to do, I want to achieve it. Here's hoping I actually can do it. I know I will be such a happier person in all aspects of my life. I hope to post my diet plan, share my triumphs and beg for support when I am feeling low. And when I'm all done (!!!!) I will print this out to remind myself that I never ever ever want to be here again. Because being overweight is so not fun.

x

Hello :)

Best of luck to you. A few of my colleagues swear by the 5:2 diet, say its easy and in fairness to them they have lost weight. It's not for me I don't think but different strokes for different folks and all that :)

Hi!

Have you thought about trying the THD diet? I started when I weighed 15stone and found it really easy to stick to and follow without feeling hungry! Also not a large amount of exercise is necessary for the diet so it's easy to introduce at your own pace! Good luck with the dieting, best of luck to you!

:) x

Thank you Louieec, it does indeed look promising.

And thanks you dans, I haven't heard of the thd diet? What's the main principles?

X

Reasons I hate being an unhealthy weight:

(in no particular order)

- feeling like everyone is looking at you. And not in a good way.
- not wanting to go out
- clothes not looking nice
- catching an unexpected glimpse of yourself in mirror and not recognising yourself
- terrified of bumping into people you haven't seen in a while
- lack of confidence
- embarrassment / shame
- getting hot
- being desperate for cold weather so can wear loads of layers
- feeling like you are letting loved ones down / disappointing them
- how distorted your face becomes
- not wanting to do activities you love because are embarrassed : swimming with baby, holidays, spa days, going to beach
- having to wear inappropriate weather clothes because it's all that fits
- lack of wardrobe choice
- not wearing heels
- not wanting to be in any photographs / video. So missing out on precious baby photos
- hating any photos / videos are in
- not feeling attractive
- lack of confidence in all aspects of life
- not feeling in control
- lack of energy / enthusiasm / motivation for pretty much everything
- putting stuff off until "I've lost the weight"
- how it makes you not want to bother with your appearance at all
- having to wear spanx and cardigans in hot weather and boiling!!!
- wedding rings being tight
- walking through gaps you assumed you could fit through and horribly realising you can't
- general unfit ness
- taking up so much space on sofa, embarrassed at amount if space left behind when your cramped in and you get up
- being shoe horned into chairs or feeling your fat is "hanging over"
- being unbalanced
- feeling groggy
- shower towels not wrapping around like should
- hating all social occasions
- hating shopping

Im sure there are many more but hopefully this will help me to go for it and then not come back to this stage again!! Anyone else got any others?

X

Here is a brief overview from the harcombe diet. I find it really easy to follow as it doesn't restrict the quantity of food just what type of food!

The Harcombe Diet - A Summary PHASE 1 - 5 DAYS o Do eat meat, fish, eggs, (Tofu - if you are tolerant to soy products), Natural Live Yoghurt, any salads, any vegetables (except potatoes or mushrooms), some brown rice, herbs & spices, olive oil and butter. o Do drink still or sparkling water, herbal teas, decaffeinated tea or coffee. o Don't eat anything that is not on the list above. No fruit, no wheat or grains (other than brown rice) no white rice, no sugar, no cakes, no biscuits, no confectionery, no cheese, no pickled or processed foods. o Don't drink alcohol, fruit juices, soft drinks, low calorie soft drinks, caffeinated products or milk. PHASE 2 - WHILE YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT o Rule 1 - Don't eat processed foods. o Rule 2 - Don't eat fats and carbohydrates at the same meal. o Rule 3 - Don't eat foods that cause your cravings. PHASE 3 - LIFE-LONG o Don't cheat too much. o Don't cheat too often. o Be alert and stay in control. TOP VITAMIN AND MINERALS TIPS o Take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet daily. o Ideally take a tablespoon of Essential Fatty Acids and extra Vitamin C daily. Copies available on www.theharcombediet.com

The Harcombe Diet – A Summary
PHASE 1 – 5 DAYS
• Do eat meat, fish, eggs, (Tofu – if you are tolerant to soy products), Natural Live Yoghurt, any salads, any vegetables (except potatoes or mushrooms), some brown rice, herbs & spices, olive oil and butter.
• Do drink still or sparkling water, herbal teas, decaffeinated tea or coffee.
• Don’t eat anything that is not on the list above. No fruit, no wheat or grains (other than brown rice) no white rice, no sugar, no cakes, no biscuits, no confectionery, no cheese, no pickled or processed foods.
• Don’t drink alcohol, fruit juices, soft drinks, low calorie soft drinks, caffeinated products or milk.
PHASE 2 – WHILE YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT
• Rule 1 – Don’t eat processed foods.
• Rule 2 – Don’t eat fats and carbohydrates at the same meal.
• Rule 3 – Don’t eat foods that cause your cravings.
PHASE 3 – LIFE-LONG
• Don’t cheat too much.
• Don’t cheat too often.
• Be alert and stay in control.
TOP VITAMIN AND MINERALS TIPS
• Take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet daily.
• Ideally take a tablespoon of Essential Fatty Acids and extra Vitamin C daily. Copies available on The Harcombe Diet® | Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight

Reasons I hate being an unhealthy weight:

(in no particular order)

- feeling like everyone is looking at you. And not in a good way.
- not wanting to go out
- clothes not looking nice
- catching an unexpected glimpse of yourself in mirror and not recognising yourself
- terrified of bumping into people you haven't seen in a while
- lack of confidence
- embarrassment / shame
- getting hot
- being desperate for cold weather so can wear loads of layers
- feeling like you are letting loved ones down / disappointing them
- how distorted your face becomes
- not wanting to do activities you love because are embarrassed : swimming with baby, holidays, spa days, going to beach
- having to wear inappropriate weather clothes because it's all that fits
- lack of wardrobe choice
- not wearing heels
- not wanting to be in any photographs / video. So missing out on precious baby photos
- hating any photos / videos are in
- not feeling attractive
- lack of confidence in all aspects of life
- not feeling in control
- lack of energy / enthusiasm / motivation for pretty much everything
- putting stuff off until "I've lost the weight"
- how it makes you not want to bother with your appearance at all
- having to wear spanx and cardigans in hot weather and boiling!!!
- wedding rings being tight
- walking through gaps you assumed you could fit through and horribly realising you can't
- general unfit ness
- taking up so much space on sofa, embarrassed at amount if space left behind when your cramped in and you get up
- being shoe horned into chairs or feeling your fat is "hanging over"
- being unbalanced
- feeling groggy
- shower towels not wrapping around like should
- hating all social occasions
- hating shopping

Im sure there are many more but hopefully this will help me to go for it and then not come back to this stage again!! Anyone else got any others?

X

I have to say I completely agree with all these. Difference for me is that I hate going dating or going on dating websites because I just assume people will be put off by me being larger
Having stretch marks that aren't related to child birth.
Struggling to fit comfortably in a bath or shower cubicle...
Having to change in an open dressing room and trying to keep the towel that won't fit properly around you

Just a few more thoughts.

Have you had any more thoughts on what your planning to follow. I'm doing the basic calorie count and exercise.... Has had good results so far. I've tried following diet plans like weight watchers before but I've not been able to keep it up. The calorie count was the only one that I managed for 5 months and then I got so frustrated because I plateaued but now I realise that I needed to change things up so ready for it this time.

Look forward to seeing your progress xxx

Thanks dans, sounds really interesting. Will have a mosey on the site in a min.

Cans, it's the not wanting to do things that really gets me!!

Ive drawn up my diet plan for week, and will be doing the 5:2 days, but on my 5 days I am going to stick to a 1000 - 1200 calorie day. I worry that the 5:2 might then not be all that effective but will see how it goes. I know from previous experience that when I cut out the carbs (processed white) I see major differences. So bad carbs will be a no, loads and loads of salad and veg and I will be making as much from scratch as poss. We don't eat processed foods (like meals) anyway but will be making my own whole meal pittas, granola and such forth. I also don't drink water so I know in first week that will make a difference. Im seeing this more as a life change, with just a lower calorie intake. As to exercise well bar housework I don't do anything and when I tried a DVD I used to do all the time with no problems I thought I was going to die!!!! I just did not realise that my body couldn't move like it could. I haven't quite yet set upon a method, and expect I will just make myself move for a set amount of time each day. I probably need to give it some more thought!!! 5 months is such a good time to kkeep going!!! Well done you! It's always good to mix things up. Have you considered 5:2?

X

Oops its been a while. And I was supposed to be posting my daily meals and what not.

So I went to the NSC and am trialling the tablets for a week. They have given me a half dose (15mg) of Phentermine. I must admit I did notice any real difference in appetite at the beginning. I do not know if this is because I was thinking "Oh I shouldn't be hungry" etc etc. But am now on day ... 5 and today have noticed that I don't feel particularly hungry. But not how it was sold to me by someone I knew. I'm hoping that when they give me the full dose next week I will notice a real difference. On the bright side I have not had any side effects such as dry mouth or being awake at night. Am very much looking forward to jumping on their scales to see how much I have lost.

I must admit, I'm not eating that much. Though meaning to do the 5:2 diet, I have really only been eating 500 cals most days. I'm not eating any "bad" carbs or fats. Though I know this is not a long term solution for myself, I just need a good old kick-start. For next week I shall try 4:3 - so four days normal (which for me will be 1000-1200) and three days at 500. I don't find 500 cals all that difficult, as long as you are careful about your food and prepare in advance. I can honestly say I never realised how many calories were in olive oil!! Scary biscuits indeed. And though I know olive oil is a "good" fat, on 500 cals theres just not that much room for olive oil!!

I've also been bought a skipping rope from mr supportive husband. And will implement the HIIT technique. I also got out my old callanetics dvd which will help tone up my "mummy tummy" and is just a nice exercise to do.

So all in all I'm starting off strong.

x

Sunday 28th July

Breakfast
Muller light greek style yoghurt - Luscious lemon = 90 Cals
These are absolutely delish, it feels like you are eating something incredibly indulgent and creamy.

Mid morning snack
Apple = 44 cals

Lunch
Fish, Mange Tout and green beans = 115

Cup of tea with 1% milk = 13

Afternoon snack
Pieces of melon (honeydew and cantaloupe) = 34

Tea
Chicken Curry on iceberg leaves = 236

Total = 532 calories
[I weigh all of my food and calculate calories using the information on the packet, or if there is no information (loose vegetables for instance) I google the food. And use a respectable source]

I feel so full up after my curry. It was truly amazing, I sort of followed a weight watchers recipe, though next time will cook again with changes and take calorie total down to 192 from 236.

I wasn't aiming for the 500 mark, was planning on being closer to 1000. Never mind, I can't remember feeling particularly hungry at all today bar for my breakfast.

Roll on next week.

x

Yesterday I also managed to get in my 1 hour callanetics. Yikes. I forgot how tough some of the moves can be. Though I assume I find them so much harder now because I am so much bigger.

So lovely and relaxing all the same.

Monday 29th July

Breakfast
Muller light greek style yoghurt - strawberry - 90 cals

Cup of tea - 13
Muller light greek style yoghurt - 90 cals

Lunch
Other half of yesterdays curry - 236

Snack
Apple - 47
Clementine - 44

Cup of tea - 13

Tea
Turkey "tacos" with salad - 265.5
Don't think I'll make these again.

Total = 798.5

Was aiming for 1000. Tomorrow is a 500 day and my first weigh in!!

Very excited indeed.

x

Thanks Dans!

I have just got back from the NSC and have lost 11 pounds!!

I am well and truly chuffed. I really was hoping to hit the stone mark. But I definitely did not exercise anywhere as much as I should of and I was pretty pants with drinking my 2 litres of water.

So this weeks goal is to exercise EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Even for only 15 minutes. And to get my 1 hour callanetics in too, as this should hopefully make a real difference to how my body looks.

Yay me!!

x

Wow well done!! Very impressive!!

Hope you are pleased with yourself with your weight loss!
What is your target weight that you have in mind?

X

Week #2 Goals

Exercise everyday. Even if only for 15 minutes.

Get in 1 hour Callanetics.

Drink AT LEAST 2 litres water every day.

3:4 fasting.

Method of Achieving said goals:

Exercise - In morning. Before cleaning routine. HIIT with the skipping rope. Oh yea.

Callanetics - In evening. Make sure evening meal is eaten by 7 o clock, so can get on with callanetics routine.

Water - Fill OWN separate bottle of 2 litres with water in fridge and make sure is AT LEAST empty by 8.30pm

Alternate day fasting - Tuesday = 500, Wednesday = 1000 ish, Thursday = 500, Friday = 1000ish, Saturday = 500, Sunday = 1000ish, Monday = 500.

I am really hoping to see a similar result. If I Lose 10 pounds then I will have a total for the 2 weeks at a stone and a half. Which isn't too shabby.

x

Hi Dans,

Thank you!!

Apparently I should be around the 8 stone mark, but even when I was younger I struggled to maintain this without loads of effort. Naturally I fall to the 8.5 - 9 stone mark. Which I am happy with, and then for special occasions / holidays I just drop half a stone. The clinic told me today they wanted to see me at 10 stone, but I will certainly aim for 9.

I am only little, so a 9 stone weight to me is size 10 jeans and size 8 on top.

I have sooo many clothes I cannot wait to get back into!!

And seeing as my weight gain has been over the last 2 years (last year mainly) it's not like they're way out of date and un-wearable.

x

Back