I NEED MONEY!!!

jools1986

Silver Member
I just started a new job and its 3 weeks until student loan day and I am out of good food. I am so upset that I cant afford to stay on atkins for the next 3 weeks.

Any tips for very cheap meals? x

Cheese omelettes are always good. Anything with eggs really. Bacon, ham, cheap cuts of meat that you can cook slowly. Frozen veg - frozen cauli & cream & cheese = a basic cauli cheese. Some of the supermarkets do 3 for £10 or 4 for £12 on meat, which sounds a big outlay but you can make one decent sized chook or bit of beef last several meals/days.

Mince! I buy a massive thingy of mince from sainsburys and separate it into 5 portions in little freezer bags . It's a 800g pack, costs about 6.50. Mince is great for cheeseburger pies, burgers, meatloafs, chillis , I even use it for stroganoff.
And not just beef mince , lamb mince is great for making missys kebab recipe (yunmy! Great for alcohol munchies!) and pork mince for meatballs.

Most supermarkets always have a 2 for a fiver thingy on mince steak.

And fish! (I get my fish for free cuz OH is a deep sea trawlerman) but even so fish is so versatile you can poach it, fry it , bake it! Even good in a mild curry! And if you are trying to save money you can by cheap White fish in the freezers .
And tuna is great , I make up tuna Mayo and wrap it in little iceberg lettuce parcels for lunch. X

i buy large portions of meat and freeze it in smaller portion bags - cheaper.

mince - lots to do with it and cheap ;)

big bags of frozen veg

eggs - again , so so much you can do

a cheap bag of flax ( do ya have lidl/aldi there?) fills ya up can be used as sweet or savoury

Oooooooh and "frying steak" always cheap, I get 4 frying steaks for something like 2.80 in tescos . OH has it for steak sarnies whilst I have it with a few fried onions an mushies x

I'm with Beth, Mince was always my standby in my student days Jools

Find an old fashioned butcher

Supermarkets are great BUT . . . .

Find a real butcher and go in and ask if he has some off-cuts. If he's a good one that trims his steaks etc he will have bits of meat that he may well charge virtually nothing for. Ours used to (our butcher in Spain charges me 50 cents for a 2kg bag of pork bits for the dogs! - but it's a bit of a long way for you to come).

Casserole them with lots of cheap veggies - again try a market at the end of the day as they often sell off cheaply the veg that can't be displayed any longer and it will still be good for a day or so.

Try a fishmonger too and ask him again for trimmings or fish heads. Sounds disgusting I know but if you boil them you will get some fantastic fish stock and you will find loads of good bits of fish come off the heads too. Turn into a Spanish Fish Cocido - lots of veg, chick peas and some small chunks of pasta makes for a very healthy green day stew.

Back at the butchers - if you like offal ask him if he has a lambs heart. Don't turn your nose up! Many butchers hide these away and don't sell them, but if you can find them they are usually very cheap. It is the highest quality and lowest fat meat around. Ask the butcher to remove all the yukky bits in the middle for you. Again, chop it up and casserole it or you can stuff it whole (like you would a pepper) with lots of tinned tomatoes and pasta bits.

I was a student too many years ago and, once I'd covered my travel costs, I was left me with the equivalent of about a fiver a week for food, booze and ciggies! I learnt to cook very cheaply! as I still wanted to live it up in the students union!

Supermarkets are great BUT . . . .

Find a real butcher and go in and ask if he has some off-cuts. If he's a good one that trims his steaks etc he will have bits of meat that he may well charge virtually nothing for. Ours used to (our butcher in Spain charges me 50 cents for a 2kg bag of pork bits for the dogs! - but it's a bit of a long way for you to come).

Casserole them with lots of cheap veggies - again try a market at the end of the day as they often sell off cheaply the veg that can't be displayed any longer and it will still be good for a day or so.

Try a fishmonger too and ask him again for trimmings or fish heads. Sounds disgusting I know but if you boil them you will get some fantastic fish stock and you will find loads of good bits of fish come off the heads too. Turn into a Spanish Fish Cocido - lots of veg, chick peas and some small chunks of pasta makes for a very healthy green day stew.

Back at the butchers - if you like offal ask him if he has a lambs heart. Don't turn your nose up! Many butchers hide these away and don't sell them, but if you can find them they are usually very cheap. It is the highest quality and lowest fat meat around. Ask the butcher to remove all the yukky bits in the middle for you. Again, chop it up and casserole it or you can stuff it whole (like you would a pepper) with lots of tinned tomatoes and pasta bits.

I was a student too many years ago and, once I'd covered my travel costs, I was left me with the equivalent of about a fiver a week for food, booze and ciggies! I learnt to cook very cheaply! as I still wanted to live it up in the students union!

This isn't really Atkins advice as fat is needed and we don't eat pasta or root veg really but the advice about the scraps from the butcher is good. Tell him it's for your dog and he'll give you all sorts.
Farm shops are good for veg etc. I also get trays of eggs from them.
You can also make a type of cheese using whole milk and a splash of lemon.
Good luck.

This isn't really Atkins advice as fat is needed and we don't eat pasta or root veg ...

True Leanne, but jools did say ...

. . . I cant afford to stay on atkins for the next 3 weeks.

Any tips for very cheap meals? x

And I didn't say root veg, you can put any veg you like in. Green beans, butter beans, broad beans are all great in stews.

Is there a farm foods nearby?

3x 18 packs of bacon (frozen) for £5

Spend an hour looking for things you usually buy on supermarket websites and go wherever they have the most stuff on offer.

Asda usually have a ridiculous amount of things on offer.

Also, remember, it's better to stick to it 90% than not at all!

No need to apologise Leanne - I was just trying to find cheap healthy meals for Jools to tide her over!

Back