I need serious help!

NooNoo1970

Sorry all' to be moaning again and crying out for help....but I know on here there is a wealth of knowledge and experience, and I really am desperate!.

I am so down about dieting at the moment and I need help big time!
As many of you know I started CD back in april lost 3 stone in 3 months.went on hols.........lost the plot,...faffed about ...rejoined CD ..lost a stone...lost the plot again and then joined Rosemary Conely..all with in the last 2 months!!!

I really thought to tackle my food issues(binging for days on end and regaining weight at an alarming rate!) I needed to be healthy eating and really thought RC was what I needed to do...but I have been awfull! In some ways I feel CD has made me even more food obsesed, as I now feel to loose weight I need to be on VLCD!

I am in turmoil with myself as to which is the best way to go about loosing the rest of my weight and even to just maintain what i have already lost!

I feel I now need to seek professional help, i think I need to speak to a counsellor or someone who can help me establish why I have such issues.

Thats where i thought some one might be able to help...how do I go about getting referred to a councellor...and how do I go along to my DR and honestly say...' i need help to stop stuffing crap into my face!' with out them shoving me out the door and telling me to get and grip and not be so bloody greedy!

I love the feeling of loosing weight and feeling slimmer...but just seem to be unable to stop eating sh!t........why why why??????????

I am sorry for going on and for being unable to stick to anything for longer than a week or so!!!!!

Please can some one help!!!

Lou X

My doctor wouldn't help me with anything like like and said the NHS wasn't in a position to help me :mad: Doesn't mean it isn't worth trying though ;)

He recommended LL because of the proven track record of counselling and said that numerous patients of his had not only lost the weight but also kept it off.

I know that LL is dear but I also know that it is only the cost of doing CD twice and I get to keep forever the lesson I learn if I want to.

I'm hoping to get mine right the first time but then aren't we all! :)

Failing that, ask you doctor to recommend a private counsellor and see how you find that.

Hi NooNoo...
I can really sympathise with you as I have spent all my adult life turning to food for one reason or another. It has always been that reliable "crutch" to lean on. It has taken me 20 odd years to realise that. But thats all it is a crutch.. We physically don't need all that comfort food. Losing weight is as much a mental/self learning journey as it is a physical one and to tackle it I really think you need to be 100%+ psyched to do it. It normally comes in the form of a catylist that makes you determined. For me it was talking recently to an friend I hadn't seen in a while. I asked how he was only to learn he had recently recovered from a heart attack at 38. It made me realise (remember) how my father had a heart attack at this age (coincidently my age now!). He was always a heavy set man and he actually died of a stroke 12 years ago. It was like someone had hit me with a sledgehammer and I realised that long life and health were a MUCH better crutch than cream buns and chocolate. This I feel has made me finally turn a corner to positive thinking. I don't mean to make this thread about my problems I just want to illustrate how you really need to be 110% focused. If you really need to take control of your life I think you need to throw away your existing crutch and use us here on the forum, week by week....day by day.. hour by hour... or minute by minute to get strong and create for yourself everything you want out of life. I'm relatively new on here, and I have found that there are a tonne of people really qualified to help you get where you need to go... people to be supportive and caring , helpful and sometimes even strict (we all need it sometimes!), but I really can relate to how you are currently feeling and hope I will hear how this is the start of the rest of your life!!!
:) :) :)

Thanks

Thanks for your advice Chicken and Dave.
I know that I turn to food as a comfort and a crouch.....but i need to stop!
I know when I was ss-ing I felt fab and loved loosing the 3 stone I did loose, I love the feeling of over riding the chatterbox and getting to the end of another day and being in control...I promised myself I would never let food rule my life again....and here I am going down that slippery slope! But this time I am going to stop at the top of the hill and not realise I need to stop myself when i have got to the bottom!

I am consdering returning to Cd but literally taking it a week at a time as I did when I very first started. We are off to my mum and dads today as it is their 40 th wedding anniversary...we are off out for dinner today and tomorrow...but I really am going to consider contacting CD on monday for a long chat.......

will let you know how it goes!

Sorry I am so hopless..cant seem to stick to anything long term at the mo!

Anyway have a great day and thanks for the support

Hugs Lou X

Lou,

A few years ago the doctor went me to see a therapist (cognative behaviour therapy) for over eating, but, I hated it, his solution was for me to cut the apron strings with my mum, divorce my husband and go back working for someone else because the stress was causing me to over eat.

is there any way you can stretch to funding Lighter Life for yourself? The therapies have been brilliant and I have learnt so much. I am not "cured" by any means but I am better (much better) than I was. I comfort ate last night but I stopped, before I would have just demolished masses and masses of chocolate (I could easily have 8 bars in a day without blinking - sometimes as many as 12 plus three or four packs of crisps).

Remember it is lifelong habits we are trying to change so any improvement is a major improvement.

Good luck.

Hi there,

I have exactly the same track record as you. Added to which I am bulimic!! The bulimia started when I last lost 6 stone previously and was so frightened of putting it back on I started to binge and purge. At first hardly at all and i maintained my weight for about 7-8 years very healthily. But the old demons raised their heads and a couple of years ago I just kind of lost the plot! I really started to go for it with the binge/purge thing except I was bingeing so much the purging couldn't keep up and here I am 17+ stone later on!!

I was getting so desperate that I looked at getting a lap band put in. I had a consultation with a lady who helps organise the surgery etc and she said that although they would do it for me I might want to think about getting counselling for my binge eating, yo-yo dieting and eating disorder.

So I started looking into counselling which in my area came in at £40 at the very cheapest.

Then when I heard about LL I figured that it would fit the bill AND allow me to lose weight at the same time.

I'm only 4 days into it now and I have to admit it's not easy going - I've just woken up with stomach cramps. But I'm holding out for the counselling and hoping that I can make real changes within my head.

I've also been on a course with a pair of wonderful sisters who have just released a book called Beyond Chocolate. They both had an abusive relationship with food and worked their way through it. If you can, get the book, and if you can afford to go on one of their workshops and follow it up with their group counselling sessions I would definitely recommend it.

But, as I'm sure you know, there's loads of us in the same boat as you.. in fact it's a very crowded boat indeed!! Soon though, we're going to hit dry land and it's going to be paradise! :)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you are going onto CD then try to do as my mum and 2 of my friends are doing and don't think if it as a means to lose the weight, more as an oportunity to deal with the gaping holes not having conventional food leaves.

There is no magic switch but what you can do is take each challenging situation as it arrises and take the time to really think about why? where? what? alternatives?

Write everything down so you have a record of it. This serves a few functions: you acknowledge the problem, you have to take time out for you to think it through, you come up with a better coping method for next time even if this time have been a bit of a wash out, and lastly you can look back to see your progress which is a boast when you have another low day.

Once you have been doing this for a bit then you will start having a whole armoury of skills to draw on to help you deal with the next problem that comes up.

Bit by bit you will be chipping away at your old destructive behaviour and learning new ways forward :D

Minimins has some fantastic threads about challenging the most inground of behaviour and thoughts. I know enough about the hints and tips of dieting to steer away from these but I tend to haunt the 'sort your head out' threads in hope of building on my knowledge and it can work for you too, you don't even have to be on a special diet to make a start ;)

Hi Noo Noo,

I know where you are coming from, I have been referred by our Occ Health department for counselling. I have had a few issues recently and have identified that WORK STRESS makes me overeat. Also being completely happy makes me overeat. WHATS THAT ABOUT!!!!!!
I have managed CD quite well for the last 4 and a bit weeks, I did LL for the 100 days, but the CBT isn't that good and just identifies what you already knew. I have my first appointment with my counsellor on Monday. It's really to do with a phobia of driving that developed recently following having to stop every day for the last two weeks for serious RTA's. Last week it was head and neck injuries, the week before the worst one was a dead motorcyclist. He stood no chance and I had to sit with him. (I'm a nurse so have to stop for accidents). But it is getting a daily occurence, it started in June when a polish girl got hit, then it seems like it's every day. I drive 500-600 miles a week for work, and I'm begining to feel that I am pushing my luck.
Sorry for that vent, but I think it has helped just verbalising it to someone. If you need to see a counsellor, and for some of us it will help us to address some of the more complicated issues which lead us to food, counsellors are available in most towns, make sure you choose an accredited one. The cost is approx £30-40.
But if you add in one hour a weeks counselling plus CD it isn't that much more than LL and you get 1 hours one to one with a counsellor.
I'll let you know how it goes on Monday night.

Hi Noo Noo,

I have managed CD quite well for the last 4 and a bit weeks, I did LL for the 100 days, but the CBT isn't that good and just identifies what you already knew.

Please remember to speak for just yourself here as my experience was very different. CBT may have identified what YOU already knew about YOURSELF but this wasn't my experience.

In MY experience the CBT was was good and very useful in identifying issues I hadn't considered prior to LL. :)

Very sorry, if I have offended anyone. I was speaking for myself, and did find that CBT wasn't that great, however for some LL works. Can't deny that. Best of luck whatever anyone chooses.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone's experience is valid. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree on various issues.

Hi Noo Noo,

I know where you are coming from, I have been referred by our Occ Health department for counselling. I have had a few issues recently and have identified that WORK STRESS makes me overeat. Also being completely happy makes me overeat. WHATS THAT ABOUT!!!!!!
I have managed CD quite well for the last 4 and a bit weeks, I did LL for the 100 days, but the CBT isn't that good and just identifies what you already knew. I have my first appointment with my counsellor on Monday. It's really to do with a phobia of driving that developed recently following having to stop every day for the last two weeks for serious RTA's. Last week it was head and neck injuries, the week before the worst one was a dead motorcyclist. He stood no chance and I had to sit with him. (I'm a nurse so have to stop for accidents). But it is getting a daily occurrence, it started in June when a polish girl got hit, then it seems like it's every day. I drive 500-600 miles a week for work, and I'm beginning to feel that I am pushing my luck.
Sorry for that vent, but I think it has helped just verbalising it to someone. If you need to see a counsellor, and for some of us it will help us to address some of the more complicated issues which lead us to food, counsellors are available in most towns, make sure you choose an accredited one. The cost is approx £30-40.
But if you add in one hour a weeks counselling plus CD it isn't that much more than LL and you get 1 hours one to one with a counsellor.
I'll let you know how it goes on Monday night.

Hi Jackie,

I was wondering have you gone and talked to anyone about your involvement in these recent accidents that you have attended???

For it does sound to me that you are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress.

Even though you are a qualified nurse you still need to discuss your feelings out with professionals about your experience, I think it is called 'de briefing' and most hospitals would have counselling for this.

You have been exposed to a lot of trauma in such a short space of time.

Hugs and love.

Love Mini xxx

Hi Mini,

yes it does sound like PTSD. I am seeing a counsellor on Monday, couldnt get there any earlier. Thanks for the concern, hopefully the debrief will go well and I will be able to get out there soon.

Thanks again
Jackie

hi lou sorry for the delay in my post but as u know i havent been on and have spoken to you on msn.

u know i am here altho not on a professional level but as we're both having probs we can support each other! x

Hi Mini,

yes it does sound like PTSD. I am seeing a counsellor on Monday, couldnt get there any earlier. Thanks for the concern, hopefully the debrief will go well and I will be able to get out there soon.

Thanks again
Jackie

Hi Jackie,

I am happy you are going to see a counsellor as it will help for you to have a professional that can help you put words to it and let it out.

We are here for you and let me know how it goes.

I am thinking of you and you are in my prayers and I will be lighting a candle for you that it goes well.

Love Mini xxx

Back