I need your help

Jolene Gisby

I have said before, but i live with my bf and his parents, and they do all the cooking, no matter how many times i try to explain what i can and cant eat they dont seem to undersatnd, i still get dished up toad in the hole and roast where everything is cooked in lard. If i make any more comments they are going to be offended. I dont have any syns throughout the day, and dont enjoy my dinners. i'm relaly struggling. I had sooo much will power for this year, starting a fitness class but at the minute i feel like its all going to waste and im gonna be going up and down for another year!!!! :cry:

Can you just say you'll cook for yourself???? That way they are not having to prepare anything special and you won't have to eat food unsuitable for your diet. Get your boyfriend on side and get him to speak to his parents.

Hi
yep, i think you need to be very polite about it but maybe offer to cook the tea for everyone so many times a week .. you may even be able to convert them to more healthy wonderful meals, and on the others when they want to cook , explain the nicest possible way that this diet is very important to you and that you hope they will be able to support you and let you cook your own stuff .
good luck! let us know how you get on .
xxx

I wouldnt offer to cook there food, becuase thats his mum's job, she likes it and they all like thats food, his mum dad and brother are fussy and wouldn't eat it. When i say it's ok ill get my own i get the worst looks and then theres the comments, about how im nto eating right etc.. and that i'm doing to much and that i'm doing ok eating PROPER food as they call it.. It's honestly more hassle than its worth, i have spoke to craig about it and he even said she would proberly be offended.

They are very old fashioned in the fact that she likes to cook all the food on the table at a certian time. it's always done before i get in wor work, so i couldnt do it anyway.

hopefully we are looking for a house in may, so fingers crossed i will be able to cook more then

I can't wait, i mean dont get me wrong, there lovely are i appreciate them so much for letting me live here, i mean i wouldnt have my job if i didnt live here, but living here and being on a diet does not mix, seriously theres not one treat cuboard theres 3 and a chrisp box, theres stuff everywhere. And my bf is skinny which dont help.

Its not as good as you think, unless your gonna choose what your getting

Losing 4.5 lb this week was pretty good!! I don't think there is any way around this one. It would be a shame to ruin what seems to be a good relationship in all other aspects. Try to hold back until you move out, there are such a lot of people that don't have good relationships with in-laws don't ruin yours for the sake of a few months. Really go for it when you move out, I'm sure you will be fine, you will have lost your weight and kept your relationships intact. Good luck.

Ditto what Adsnan said, you are lucky to have a good relationship with them, it would be a shame to ruin it.

You have lost a great amount this week, you must be doing something right. As you said in your post telling them you will make your own will offend them and offering to make meals for everyone won't work either so you don't seem to have many more options except to enjoy the hospitality of your partners family and the fact you don't have to cook.

Hope things work out for you and good luck with house hunting in May..

Just a thought, but is there any way you could switch your main meal of the day from dinner to lunch? If you get a proper lunch hour you could just switch, which would give you more control over what you're eating, and provide a legitimate 'excuse' for not eating a big cooked meal in the evening. You'd only need something light like soup or a sandwich, which you could see to yourself without giving offence. As a temporary measure until you get your own place, it might do the trick.

Ditto what others say...

If you just be as good as absolutely possible during the day - have free breakfasts and lunches and lots of fresh fruit and veg, and get some exercise on the go, then your evening meals will have less impact on your SW...you can use syns and your food allowances/HEs.
Just make do until you move out and enjoy being cooked for!

:)

I know how you must be feeling.. we lived with my in-laws for 4 months after the 1st baby was born - we were renovating at the time and it wasn't suitable for a new born. MIL was brilliant but couldn't see that we didn't want to eat with them every night, but we just politely made our apologies, had a lot of early - and disturbed nights - and it was heaven to get back to our own place. It does help to get your OH on your side though..

Um, well i have said to them that i really need a good week, and that just for this week i will get my own dinners so she doesnt have to worry about doing two meals, and she seems ok, but one of their dogs died yesterday so she has more important things to worry about, I am on a 100% week so fingers crossed i can make up for some lost time.

Thank you all for your help, you have been brilliant.

Um, well i have said to them that i really need a good week, and that just for this week i will get my own dinners so she doesnt have to worry about doing two meals, and she seems ok, but one of their dogs died yesterday so she has more important things to worry about, I am on a 100% week so fingers crossed i can make up for some lost time.

Thank you all for your help, you have been brilliant.

Great news, sorry about the dog though.

Enjoy your 100% week and heres hoping to a great weight loss. :D

I would sit down with her and tell her that you are on this plan and although you appreciate her cooking your meals (really ham up the thanks!), you would rather be able to control your meals yourself.
Im lucky in the fact that my MIL is on SW too, so everything in the house is catered for SW.
I think honesty is the best policy though!

I would sit down with her and tell her that you are on this plan and although you appreciate her cooking your meals (really ham up the thanks!), you would rather be able to control your meals yourself.

I agree with Mrs V ham up the thanks then go in for the kill!

another angle if things got difficult is to just ask for a smaller portion. Fill up on the vegtables and take a smaller portion of things like toad in the hole, roast etc..

I think i am going to have to go witht he previous advice of do what i can untill i move, she wouldnt understand, neither of them do, but thats the way they are, they think they are doing it for the best. I will just have to have a few weeks like that.

And thank you for the comment about Shep (our dog) he is extremely missed! my bf is having a really hard time, bless him, im doing ok though day 4 just keep my fingers crossed for WI

Good luck Hun!

Kerry-Ann
xx

Back