I put on a WHAT??

alicethecamel

Hello everyone!!
This is my first post but I'm not new - I've been sneaking a peek at the forum for a while!! I'm on LLT, 6.5stone gone, three more to go...

I am having to be brave and write my first post bcos I am desperate from some of the wonderful advice that you all give on here please...

Last night I went to group and my LLC weighed me and said "oh... that's interesting..."

Joking, I said "what is it? i've put on a stone....?" (i have stuck to plan to the letter the whole way along and he knows that...)

he said "no... a pound"

i said (loudly) "i've put on a WHAT????"

how is this possible?? how can i put on a pound when i haven't had so much as a lick of an apple in 20 weeks???

my LLC insists it's water retention. i am convinced that i am now going to inexplicably put back on all the weight i've lost.

pleeeeease tell me this has happened to someone out there and that you lost double your usual the following week...:mad:

thank you in advance!!

a xxx

Hiya, and welcome 'officially' to posting on here! ;)

And congrats on your fantastic loss so far!! :D

Hmm... well, I can see why you are feeling upset and surprised by your 1lb weight gain, and don't blame you! I am a relative newbie with only 7 weeks of LLT under my belt to date, but am an old hand at having very low losses some weeks...

However, what I need to remind myself of is that 1 litre of water weights 2lb's! So, depending on how much I've drank on the day of my weigh in, I could easily show no loss at all... when in actual fact, I've had 2 litres of water, equalling 4lb's!

If you do not drink enough, your body holds on to what water it does get, and this can happen easily.

So, as your LLC said, it is likely to just be water retention, something easily changed, by just drinking enough to satisfy your body...

As for bigger losses following lower ones... I would say this was absolutely true! Like many on here, I have been on every diet there is over the last 20 years... and this 'no loss then high loss' pattern I always recognise... It's like my body starts to lose weight, then it panics, and holds on tight to what I'm eating! Making my weight loss suddenly become stuck! I won't lose anything for maybe 5 or 6 days!

However, then, suddenly my body gives in and it all starts moving again... normally by dropping a good few lb's all at once!

There is no way you could not still be losing weight on this diet... it's a physical impossibility on so few cals! So, don't fret... It's worked so far, so why would it suddenly stop now? There's no reason why you won't reach your goal, and then successfully keep the weight off!... :)

Hope that helps...

xx

i had a gain of 0.2lbs in wk 17 when i done it first time, was 100% anstinant. my llc told me it might be water and guess what??? i lost 5lbs the next week.... it WILL balance out. our bodies are not machines and sometimes need a minute to rebalance. just wait n see next week.... xx

Oh phew... thank you so much. I knew you'd all sort me out!!

2 litres of water really weighs 4lb?? I had no idea...

Thanks again!!

A xx

you will definitely be fine.

I never gained during LLT but did stay the same a couple times and they were both followed but big losses the next week.

I am on RTM now and weigh myself a couple times a week and (during total I never weighed myself, stuck to the LL scales once a week) I have in some weeks gained a bit then lost a bit in the week but at my weekly weigh ins I have lost every week still so I am going back to not weighing myself as much as our weight does go up and down naturally in a day let alone a week so you have probably already lost that one lb and more.

Last week I gained 1lb and the next day it was gone and I done nothing differently. Our weight fluctuate and that's just the way it is.

You will only gain back the weight after the diet if you go back to eating the way you used to.

I have heard a couple people who have said LL doesn't work as they gained all the weight back afterwards, but it did work they just went back to eating too much of the wrong kinds of food so gained it back.

I don't know if it makes any difference or not but I always stop drinking 3 hours before my weigh in because of the weight of water.

Also were you wearing different clothes? Clothes weigh quite a bit and the week I went from leggings and summer top to jeans and heavy winter jumper I lost only 1lb and it was definitely my clothes. My LLC even has us take off our belts if they are the chunky fashion kind.

I read on here once a loooong time ago of a woman that put on 2lb then stayed the same. She then lost 9lb the week after. So it will come off. Try measuring yourself to cheer yourself up.

It is scientifically impossible to put on fat when u r consuming so few calories as even if u did nothing but sit in a chair all week, the body burns more than 500cals a day just to keep us alive.

Well done on your big loss!! 6.5 stone in 20 weeks is amazing and you should join us more often to shout about your sucesses

Mel xxx

hello again all,
thank you all very much - feel much better now and will be braver about posting in future!!
a xxxx

Glad we could help Alice... It's great to have you around, and posting... no bravery required, we're all very nice you know... ;)

:) xx

P.S. Oh, and regarding not drinking before your weigh in, that's an option... personally I can't do that, as out LLC makes us pee on a ketostick, and if I've not had water for 3 hours, it shows as dark purple, which she translates as being dehydrated... Bit annoying really...

I do always wear the same clothes to my weigh in each week though... so at least I know that's consistent... :)

It's definitely water issue. When we're in ketosis, to function our bodies use energy that's stored in our fat cells. Now once a fat cell has been emptied, it usually gets destroyed as it's no longer needed but sometimes instead of getting rid of that empty sack our body replaces the fat with water (as a desperate attempt to save it, just in case). Hence why we sometimes show a gain or stay the same on the scales but in reality we are still losing fat (that's what's important isn't it?). With time our body does get a message that the empty fat cell reall IS empty and relases the water it's been storing in it and disposes of it. It usually manifests itself by going to the loo more often and feeling less bloated in general. What follows next is a loss on the scales! :)
It happens, it's just one of those things. What we have to remember is that our bodies are very complex machines and the whole weight loss process isn't as straight forward as we may think!
Sooner or later our bodies adjust themselves and level everything out but what definitely can help is drinking enough water. If our body doesn't get enough of it, it starts storing it (like camels in their humps ;)) It really makes all the difference!

Hi Pinkie

We used to have to pee on the ketostix too and even when I drank 3 litres before my meeting it would still be very dark (this was when I did drink right up until the meeting).

My LLC just said if I am drinking enough then it's fine as some people just have it really dark and some people rally light, everyone is different.

I knew I wasn't dehydrated as I could feel I was fine as I was dehydrated in the first week so know what it felt like.

3 times through my whole abstinance my stick wasn't dark and I hadn't drank any less those days overall and felt no different and lost no more weight thank usual.

It did take me longer to come out of ketosis on RTM, took me nearly 5 weeks to come out of it even though I was eating so maybe we are just real deep in ketosis.

this is amazing. how do you know this??
xx

Now once a fat cell has been emptied, it usually gets destroyed as it's no longer needed but sometimes instead of getting rid of that empty sack our body replaces the fat with water (as a desperate attempt to save it, just in case). Hence why we sometimes show a gain or stay the same on the scales but in reality we are still losing fat (that's what's important isn't it?). With time our body does get a message that the empty fat cell reall IS empty and relases the water it's been storing in it and disposes of it. It usually manifests itself by going to the loo more often and feeling less bloated in general. What follows next is a loss on the scales! :)

I'm confused by this... as have read different things! Some info says you gain extra fat cells with weight gain, and by losing weight, these disappear again... But read somewhere else that ehen we gain weight as adults, we are mostly enlarging the fat cells we have instead of adding more... a process called hypertrophic obesity. And these type of fat cells, which we stopped developing in our teens, don't go anywhere, even when empty! They stay firmly put! :(

Very contradictory, and confusing!

xx

Last edited:
Yes you have the same amount but when you're fat your fat cells are massively enlarged and deformed as they store too much. After you've lost weight your body WILL get rid of the old horrible cells and give birth to new ones. It's then up to you to make sure you don't fill them with fat again! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Cheers Mags...

Sorry, was editing my post above, whilst you were replying (didn't know you were replying yet, obviously!), as wanted to clarify what I meant... ;)

But you have answered perfectly... cheers hun!

So, you can't really reduce the number of fat cells you have, you just renew them?... that makes sense... :)

xx

Yes darling!
Your body renews itself all the time, in cycles of 21-25 days (or a bit longer if you're reaaaaally old ;))
You have the same amount of cells from the moment you are born till the day you die but our body's job is to make sure the cells are nice and healthy so it will get rid of any abnormal ones (it will try at least).
It can take a while for your body to catch up with what's going on so it's important to remember that when we lose weight. It's been believed that it takes our bodies around 10 months to adapt to its new size and content! ;)

Ooooh, fascinating!

:) xx

Back