i saw the bloke from here who has lost loads in a mag

Brilliant thread! Absolutely eye opening and BRILLIANT! :D

I've been sat here close to tears reading this thread. I only looked in on it out of nosiness and what I got was a wake up call. As much as I tell myself that losing the weight does not guarantee happiness; as much as I can say the words 'I'll still be me just a slimmer me' I dont think its ever truly sunk in that I have other issues to deal with -issues that have lead me to this point.
I've also been relying almost entirely on LT to 'cure' me.

I've fallen off the wagon again and was going to steer clear of minimins because I feel that I've not only let myself down but also everyone here who have been amazingly supportive and encouraging. All day I'v felt so cr4p thinking 'will I ever get going again? How am I going to do this properly? How can I go on Minimins and encourage others when I am so weak myself?'

The last time I broke Medea asked me to look at why I did it -and I had a quick peek, then ran off scared. Let's gloss over actual issues and call it 'comfort eating' kind of thing. Seeing how honest Mike has been (and thank you thank you thank you Mike!!!) and how close he came to losing it all -to jepardising his true happiness -DESPITE HAVING LOST EXCESS WEIGHT- has really left me quite shaken.

I have to stop playing with my meds (depression & social anxiety/panic attacks bla). I need to go back to CBT and focus on my mental health as seriously as I do on my physical health. I feel so ashamed and embarrassed and more than a little petrified right now because there are doors I dont really want re-opened here. But I want to learn from Mike's experience and not come close to rock bottom -I want to side step the breakdown and TRULY sort myself out.

I have a beautiful life. I have a beautiful and wonderful family and I want to enjoy them as much as I can -whatever weight I am. Also -sorry for the giant post. :(

Thank you mike -and I wish you all the very best.
oxo[/quote

Hi I dont know you Blackrose, but I just wanted to thank you for having the courage and upfrontness to post this. Been there and back again with depression. For a long time, too long. I used to always think that my wieght made me unhappy, but it never was. CBT, meds and my long suffering hubb have brought me back from the brink. I am now truely happy. Still have my bad days and moments of worry. But I am getting there every day. Thankyou Mike for posting this and for your openness. And thankyou too Blackrose for the same.

Last edited:
What an honest and truly inspirational thread.

Mike I can't wait for your book - if your weekly newsletters are anything to go by it's going to be fantastic x

Just want to thank you Mike for the newsletters and your posts on here as they have helped and inspired me a lot. You didn't have to 'set the record straight' on here cos we are your friends and we don't judge you, we know your worth and your contribution.

However, just the fact that you have has lead to a great thread, so thanks again x

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

I am also pleased to say I got a call from the editor of Real People last night who apologised for the article and how it was "adjusted".

They offered to print a retraction but no point as it is fish and chip wrappers next week!

I am pleased though that they have offered to treat us to a weekend at Centre Parcs to apologise so happy with that and intend to take them up on it!!!!!

Have a great weekend all

Mike

I am also pleased to say I got a call from the editor of Real People last night who apologised for the article and how it was "adjusted".

They offered to print a retraction but no point as it is fish and chip wrappers next week!

I am pleased though that they have offered to treat us to a weekend at Centre Parcs to apologise so happy with that and intend to take them up on it!!!!! Mike

That's wonderful news Mike, well done for taking them on! :D

Hope you & your family have a great time at their expense. x x x :)

i am really glad that they admitted to their nastiness mike. but has anything been done to stop them from doing this to anyone else? is there a watchdog on their back still?

abz xx

Apparently the press complaints commission can't really do much apart from try and mediate and make them apologise which they have done anyway! I can't afford to sue them or anything like that and to be honest I also don't really see the point! One of my biggest things now is that I don't judge others as I used to be very guilty of that and hence all I can see in this is a nice weekend away relaxing so for me it is now over! Glad to say as well it isn't on the shelves anymore as I popped round Rainbow to get some milk and checked lol

fantastic news mike. if it has been taken as far as it can be and they have been pulled up on it that's great.

you deserve to have a fantastic time away with your family :D i hope you really really enjoy it :D

abz xx

Have loved this thread and am so glad Mike that you got this all sorted to a resolution that is satisfactory to you because that is all that matters in life.
Blackrose hugs for sharing hunny xx
I have a few bits in my blog about every pound of my weight representing my emotional baggage. I feel the only reason I am managing this diet so well is because I hit rock bottom last year, my marriage had been dying slowly and is over. I come from what the Americans would call a disfunctional family. I have always strongly tried to avoid the victim label which pushed me into over working and building a very sucessful career. I had 5 miscarriages before I could get my 2 lovely boys. I continued to work burying myself in it as another way of masking my pain. Took on more and more including national roles and university lecturing on top of my demanding career in the NHS. In the end I caved in and had work related stress last year. I had counselling that I found too soft an approach for me although it did help me unpack some of my baggage. I then had coaching that was more direct and empowering becuase it helped me sift and sort my baggage and shifted my perspectives on things. Took me a year to get over all the effects of the stress. I then developed a real confidence in me...I like me...I have my faults...I am demanding of myself and others...but I like who I am....Time for the weight to go as I didn't need it anymore because I know I can survive and manage all the world can throw at me.
I believe this is the root cause of why I am managing this diet so well even with the challenges it presents me. I was seeing my potential shift to CD as a failure because I wanted to commit to LT...I made a decision 7 weeks ago based on information I had then and it was the right one. Having experienced LT. I realised that making another based on increased knowledge of how I am feeling is not failure it is simply changing things to meet my long term goal.
My message in all this I guess is that no matter what the world throws at us like Mike with this magazine, it is us that hold the key to our happiness, we aren't just pieces of driftwood being battered into shape by the sea of life. We have great resources to adapt and consciously change the things that make us unhappy. Good luck to you all xx

Lovely post and well done you! Love the driftwood metaphor and will be using that with clients if that is ok.

Mike

Sure is Mike, you never know what words will be the right trigger for someone. I wouldn't mind a chat with you at some point. I am making moves to change my whole life..lol I don't do anything by halves. Start a massage course next week and aim to set up my own wellbeing business (once the credit crunch settles a little). I have also been writing "my story" hopefully to become a self help book.

What an inspirational thread - thanks everyone for sharing. Thanks Mike for your honesty and I am so glad it is all sorted!
Made me think - I am trying to maintain now - but actually my personality has changed - I used to be loud and brash - had to to match my size (I thought) - now I am quite shy - but as my CDC pointed out - after 8 years of dieting and self sabbotage and making sure (subconsciously) that I was the fat girl- here I am - now have to stay here! and forge for myself an new identity - not the fat girl!!!!

Thanks all!!!

well done Mike you are truely inspirational, glad to hear NLP helped as part of your recovery, i find it amazing...

Well done and keep up the good work...

All papers and mags do this, The Daily Mirror printed that I was spent thousands of pounds on Jack Daniels and had a fight before being removed from a kareoke bar in Manchester a few months ago when in reality, I was at a house party, have never been the bar in question and don't drink whisky.

Thanks for the support everyone, glad to say that it is now put to bed and we have agreed with Real People to move on from it!

Got a call from Woman magazine asking to do an article but want to do an honest nice article so we have said yes but made them promise to show us the whole thing before it is published!

They came out an took photos this week!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1559590&l=8436c&id=651752588

This is us in the kitchen! I know it is cheesy but I actually quite like it! They brought the poinsetta to make it look Christmassy!!

Mike

Back