"I think you have lost enough now" comments

1 best mate that felt she'd got comfortable to comment on how fat my stomach is compared to the rest of me - cheers mate! But now hardly speaks to me and doesnt like going out. Im very sure its because i use to be her fat mate. I was one of those people who girls with complexs would look at and make themselves feel better

I hate people like that!
and now im getting hotter by the second they dont like it :)
i love that quote lol!!!

and other girls i know that just give me evils and whisper! (they didnt like me much in the first place as are fans of my OH) lol
xxxx

Lol do they know that jealousy is not becoming of a lady lol

Hi CP, I would just take great satisfaction in the knowledge that you have far from starved yourself to lose the weight you have!! It's quite amusing how so many people have this perception of weight loss as being related to starvation!! We all know that's sooo untrue on SW! It is really annoying though isn't it!! I'm already having people telling me not to lose much more- maybe just 1 more stone! And 'You won't be YOU if you lose too much'!! That's the really annoying one that gets me!! Or 'You'll end up looking really gaunt'!!!! I'm 14st 1.5lb, a size 18 and BMI of 31.8 so I have some way to go yet! And some of the people saying this are size 10-12!! Whilst it's lovely to have compliments about my weight loss so far, and I really do love getting them, I too wish people would butt out trying to tell me how much more I should/shouldn't lose!! X

yup I get that too - i normally comment "yes I am wasting away, what can you do?"

You are the best judge of where you want to be - the figures can be a little deceptive - I am on a weight loss trial (on the control group), and my last stats showed me to have a metabolic rate 8 yrs younger than my age, an extremely low viseral fat level, percentage fat slap bang in the middle of normal BUT I still have a BMI near the top of the overweight category.

Take no notice. Smile sweetly and pretend to be deaf. You have no need to justify yourself to anyone but yourself.

Alternatively, use the word that I have learned from my teenage relations and find, even at my age, really useful - "WHATEVER"!!

When I read the title to this thread I expected you to be near target... because I can remember seeing some people near target and thinking they looked a bit too.. thin (that probably won't be a popular comment judging by peoples responses on here!!)
However... you're not lol. I used to get really frustrated last year when I'd lost alot of weight (put it all back on again now :0( ) and even though I was still classed as being clinically overweight people would tell me I didn't need to loose anymore weight which would make me feel like I had to keep my dieting from them.
Anyway.. I might be wrong but maybe they didn't mean it in the way you took it? But just be proud of yourself for walking away.. I had something similar happen last year at a bbq.. but said in a much more positive way.. and I must admit I used it as an excuse to gobble all the yummy bbq goodness LOL

I suppose that when some relatives say 'don't go too far', they may be genuinely worried that you might become anorexic/diet obsessed. I also suppose that when you have lost a lot of weight (from when you have last seen them), that the difference would be quite a shock.

(You notice that I used the word 'suppose' quite a lot there.......I've lost 2 stone 4 1/2 lbs and no-one has noticed yet :( ........My only consolation is the fact that I must hide my weight well ;) I can't WAIT for someone to tell me that I've lost too much weight and not to go 'too far' !!!! :D )

As for the ignorant and rude rest of the population.........When they say 'you must be starving yourself'.....Just say 'You'd think so wouldn't you?!?!' :D and then walk away...

Conversely, you could convince them that they are looking a bit chubby, and then extol the virtues of SW......that way, you get a free week if you sign them up!!!!! :D :D :D

DO you know something, you are absolutley stunning and carry your weight so well that you look in proportion to the unknowing eye. Bet they are scared that their partners may well find you very attractive now let alone if you lose even more. Keep flaunting it girl. no one can take your success and beauty away from you xxx

I find that skinny people are often the ones who comment more. It's like my fat 'sisters' are more supportive - they know the struggle of actually doing it, losing it and keeping it off.

And I totally agree about the skinnies and the 'threatened' thing as well!

Isn't it strange how people never really said to you 'I really think you should stop gaining weight now' when you were putting the lbs on. Perhaps because it was gradual, but also because it'd be considered rude. So, how is it not rude to say 'I really think you should stop losing weight now'?
None of your bloody business!

I would love to think of witty retorts when people say things. Luckily most people have been complimentary recently. I usually end up saying something like 'oh, I've still got a few lbs to go yet' or weirdly, when people say I've lost I lie! I say...ooh no I've not really lost any weight. Why do I do that?!

I've come to the conclusion that people are just weird!! There you are, wise words from the girl who always has a lot to say (although this is the 2nd time I've replied to this thread!)X

I would love people to say this to me lol! Seriously though my younger sister has lost over 6 stone and looks amazing - she has another couple of stone to go but I hear people say it to her constantly and can see that she's fed up of it.

Our older sister who doesn't ever seem to get the motivation to change and has a BMI of around 40+ commented to me that "she had lost her spark now she's lost weight".................we were at a family funeral when this was said - I don't really think she was likely to have much of a spark then!

I do also agree with the comment that people just aren't used to the visual image of someone who has lost a lot of weight and it's hard for them to adjust

I read once an article written by someone who lost loads of weight talking about the things that they don't tell you about weight loss. One was "You will lose friends and find yourself fighting with some family members. Sad but true, some people like having a friend who makes them look good or being the "looker" of the family/group and will not be able to cope with the new attention you are recieving. The only thing you can do is accept it and value the people who stick around". Not a direct quote but was the gist.

It does seem to be pettiness. You know yourself Slimming world won't let you go below a healthy weight they are just being rude. The people to focus on are the ones who support and love you no matter what.

It's such a personal comment to make and I think it's very rude. I would love to lose another half stone (not gonna happen but I'd like to!) as at 10 stone I'm at the top of the healthy BMI range but OH and family and friends won't have it. OH puts his foot down quite catagorically about it bless him. He thinks I'll lose my curves!

Only the individual person knows how they feel and when they want to stop and no-one else should comment!

Back