IBS Help

boo68

One day at a time
Hiya everyone

I'm suffering at the minute with my IBS, I would really like to hear from anyone who suffers from this on how they cope with their symptoms and what they do to relieve their symptoms - any suggestions welcome. Thanks Boo xx

Hi Boo

I suffer with IBS too :sigh: Its horrible isnt it :cry:

Have you tried colpermin?

Also i tend to have a few peppermint teas through the day. I always have medicinal charcoal tablets in my handbag as i find they help with painful wind. Also fennel tea helps a bit.

None of these things stop the symptoms of IBS, but sometimes they help.

I've found i can't eat cream cheese, cream, milk, green peppers, cucumber, peanut butter, lettuce as these all leave me in agony.

Hxx

my friend who persuaded me to join sw can only do red days because ee and green trigger her ibs massively. she barely has flare ups but i do know she has to keep her hexb in separate meals otherwise it is worse. i dunno if carbs are a trigger for you but it might help someone *smiley face*

Thanks for all your replies, I'll take them on board and come back and let you know if they have helped Boo xx

Hi,

I was suffering quite badly from IBS for a while. Went for several tests, the doctor put me on mebravine, all with no effect. But I think I have finally cracked it - a friend recommended switching to rice milk.

I was convinced this wasn't going to work because I have milk everyday with my cereal and I would get the pain/symptoms some days and not others so figured it couldn't be something like milk or I would get the pain everyday.

Anyway, I have been using rice milk for 3 weeks now and have been free of any pain. The one day I did suffer with bloating and pain was when I stayed at my boyfriend house, he only had normal milk so I had that and the same day the pain came back.

I would definitely give rice milk a go, it may not work for you but it's worth a try, I'm so happy such a simple change seems to have worked.

Ellie x

I suffer with IBS, it's had me hospitalised on one occasion :(

I've been prescribed Spasmonol by my GP & it does work sometimes.. But this is my third medication, I just keep getting worse it seems.

I always try to use my tablets as a last resort, usually an hour or two with a microwavable heat-pack works wonders! It definitely helps with the pain & bloating. I have a cute fluffy puppy as well, so it's just like cuddling a teddy. Lol.

Hi there,

I also suffer with IBS and was thinking last night of starting a thread for support, so it is nice to see somebody else has.

At the moment nothing is working for me!! However something that did work for a while was biomuno sachets sold in boots... They are pro or pre ( can never remeber which) biotics... They worked for a while but then I got very constipated, but maybe won't have that effect on other people.

Have you ever looked on the IBS network website? They are a small charity who offer support and advice to people with IBS they also issue people who join, with a card which you can show in shops etc to ask to use their toilets!

At times I have thought sw is helping with my IBS and then I have a awful day of. IBS and think it's not.

I have tried around 10-15 different medications, none of which really helped!! had 3 colonoscopy's and numerous scans, never finding anything except gall stones, which have been removed with my gall bladder making no difference to me at all!!!

I totally understand how frustrating and upsetting IBS can be and how it can really ruin your life at times.

Anyway.. Something I haven't tried is peppermint capsules!! So I'm off to buy some of those later!

Sorry to go on but it is so nice to actually speak to other people with the same condition and not keep it all to my self because I'm ashamed of the symptoms!

Do look out for the biomuno as they may work for you!

Hi,

I was suffering quite badly from IBS for a while. Went for several tests, the doctor put me on mebravine, all with no effect. But I think I have finally cracked it - a friend recommended switching to rice milk.

I was convinced this wasn't going to work because I have milk everyday with my cereal and I would get the pain/symptoms some days and not others so figured it couldn't be something like milk or I would get the pain everyday.

Anyway, I have been using rice milk for 3 weeks now and have been free of any pain. The one day I did suffer with bloating and pain was when I stayed at my boyfriend house, he only had normal milk so I had that and the same day the pain came back.

I would definitely give rice milk a go, it may not work for you but it's worth a try, I'm so happy such a simple change seems to have worked.

Ellie x

Thanks for the tip Ellie, I haven't heard of rice milk, I'll have to try it, is it in all supermarkets? Boo xx

I suffer with IBS, it's had me hospitalised on one occasion :(

I've been prescribed Spasmonol by my GP & it does work sometimes.. But this is my third medication, I just keep getting worse it seems.

I always try to use my tablets as a last resort, usually an hour or two with a microwavable heat-pack works wonders! It definitely helps with the pain & bloating. I have a cute fluffy puppy as well, so it's just like cuddling a teddy. Lol.

Hiya Gem

Yes I've been hospitalised too with it :(:( I have meds but only use them when I have too, I went out and bought some peppermint capsules today, also some aloe vera juice and some herbal teas, so fingers crossed these will help.

It's horrible isn't it, hope you've had a good day today Boo xx

Hi there,

I also suffer with IBS and was thinking last night of starting a thread for support, so it is nice to see somebody else has.

At the moment nothing is working for me!! However something that did work for a while was biomuno sachets sold in boots... They are pro or pre ( can never remeber which) biotics... They worked for a while but then I got very constipated, but maybe won't have that effect on other people.

Have you ever looked on the IBS network website? They are a small charity who offer support and advice to people with IBS they also issue people who join, with a card which you can show in shops etc to ask to use their toilets!

At times I have thought sw is helping with my IBS and then I have a awful day of. IBS and think it's not.

I have tried around 10-15 different medications, none of which really helped!! had 3 colonoscopy's and numerous scans, never finding anything except gall stones, which have been removed with my gall bladder making no difference to me at all!!!

I totally understand how frustrating and upsetting IBS can be and how it can really ruin your life at times.

Anyway.. Something I haven't tried is peppermint capsules!! So I'm off to buy some of those later!

Sorry to go on but it is so nice to actually speak to other people with the same condition and not keep it all to my self because I'm ashamed of the symptoms!

Do look out for the biomuno as they may work for you!

Hiya Onedayskinny

Its great to hear from fellow sufferers too! I will try the sachets, but my ibs makes me constipated, I never get the opposite!

Wow you've had a few tests, I've not had a colonscopy but would love a food intolerence test but for some reason its proving hard to get one from the doctors.

I have bought some peppermint capsules today and have tried on already so I'll let you know if it helps and yes it can ruin your life sometimes if you let it, I do try to ignore it until it gets too much for me.

You don't have to apologise for going on, it does you good to get if off your chest, anyway I hope your having a good day and I hope to catch up with you soon, you can always find me on the diary thread if you want to. Take care, Boo xx

Hiya Gem

Yes I've been hospitalised too with it :(:( I have meds but only use them when I have too, I went out and bought some peppermint capsules today, also some aloe vera juice and some herbal teas, so fingers crossed these will help.

It's horrible isn't it, hope you've had a good day today Boo xx

I've never tried the peppermint capsules, will you let me know if they help? I think the prescribed tablets are useful, but I think my body must develop some sort of tolerance to them :( It's such a pain!

xxx

Hi,

The colpermin that i told you about are peppermint capsules, but they have a certain type of coating so they dissolve in your bowel instead of in your stomach. I dont find they make much difference to the days i go to the toilet a lot, but they do seem to help with the constipated times and wind

Hxx

MissHP said:
Hi,

The colpermin that i told you about are peppermint capsules, but they have a certain type of coating so they dissolve in your bowel instead of in your stomach. I dont find they make much difference to the days i go to the toilet a lot, but they do seem to help with the constipated times and wind

Hxx

Thanks MissHP I didn't realise ah well I'll let you know how I get on boo xx

I also only use lactofree milk or soya milk. Maybe worth seeing if dairy/lactose effects you. I'm ok with some, but cream, milk and cream cheese all leave me in agony!

Hxx

Hi. I just replied to your other thread! I have Crohns disease so can sympathise as it's an IBD and shares the same symptoms.

I find you have to learn what foods you can tolerate and which you should avoid.

I agree peppermint tea us good and remember using buscopan for cramping before my definitive diagnosis. And a hot water bottle is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi, I believe I have suffered from IBS for years and after a recent health scare doc is now taking me seriously.:sigh: Begged him not to refer me to hospital for investigations as I have been through a traumatic time lately so he has given me Mebeverine and fybogel to take and if no better in 2 months will refer me for all the tests etc. I think because I am 50 they have to check all is well, but hope meds help!:eek:
How are you doing?

Back