Ideas for packed lunch?

PinkToaster

Silver Member
I don't want to rely on buying food at college, but I took a wholemeal Quorn ham sandwich today with a free yogurt and I was very unsatisfied.

Any ideas for free or low syn lunch?

At the moment I like having 4 ryvita original with laughing cow extra light cheese on them and topped with cucumber.

Sometimes I have a packet of Batchelors pasta n sauce or a mug shot. I'm at home during the day so sometimes I also have last nights leftovers that I can reheat in the microwave.

sw quiche

This appetizing quiche takes minutes to make, uses whatever ingredients you fancy and, best of all, is Superfree!
It's as easy as this...

Prepare whatever Superfree veggies take your fancy… we’ve used peppers, onions, courgettes, baby sweetcorn, asparagus, mushrooms and tomatoes. You can dry-fry them until soft or leave them raw for extra crunch.

Mix together the 3 eggs, 150g very low fat natural cottage cheese and some chopped parsley. Lay the chopped vegetables out in an oven-proof flan dish then pour the cottage cheese mix over. Pop in the oven at 190ºC/375ºF/Gas 5 for around 30 minutes, or until the quiche is set and golden brown.

Serve the quiche in wedges with Free chips on a Green day, or piles of salad - ideal for lunchboxes!
Save up to an amazing 48½ Syns* with our Superfree version of this teatime favourite!
*(compared to Sainsbury's Garden Vegetable 400g Quiche)
Other tasty quiche ideas include:

• Tuna and sweetcorn - Free on Green (add 6 Syns on Green if not using 113g tuna canned in brine as a Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice)
  • Ham and broccoli - Free on Original and Green (add 6 Syns on Green if not using 85g ham as a Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice)
  • Salmon and dill - Free on Original and Green (add 6 Syns on Green if not using 57g fresh salmon/71g salmon canned in brine as a Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice)
  • Cheese and onion - Free on Original and Green (add 6 Syns if not using cheese as a Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice)
  • Pasta quiche – Free on Green - Make up a packet of Free pasta and sauce, such as Batchelors Tomato, Onion & Herb Pasta ‘n’ Sauce, pour into the flan dish and then add the cottage cheese mixture.
  • Quiche Lorraine – Lean grilled bacon, cheese and onion - Free on Original (add 6 Syns if not using cheese as a Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice)

I take a packed lunch with me to work every day. I am a little boring and predictable but here's what I have:

When I am on earlies;

Cheese and marmite sandwich (HEA, HEB)
2 Alpen light bars (HEB)
carrot sticks
Cucumber sticks
Mini babybel lights (HEA)
Quavers (4.5 Syns)
Boots Shapers bar (4.5 Syns)

When on lates;

Large bowl of pasta
2 Alpen light bars (HEB)
carrot sticks
Cucumber sticks
Mini babybel lights (HEA)
Quavers (4.5 Syns)
Boots Shapers bar (4.5 Syns)

I don't always take all of that but if I have it here than I do. I have the Syns last and only if I really need/want them

I like the idea of carrot and cucumber sticks, I'll try that one. I was going to take pasta yesterday but then I had a bad day so I just left it, but I will definitely try it another time.
It's for college so I don't have access to a microwave, sometimes we wish we did...

Do you have access to hot water?

You can make a syn free houmus and take carrot sticks, peppers etc to dip into it. Its a long time since I made mine but will do it in the next few days. Tin of chick peas, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper and puree in a food processor.

Ah yeah, I had some today. I'm just not enjoying them as much as I thought I would.

Or the Noodle mugshots but no good if you have no access to hot water. You can buy food flasks in Wilkinsons if you want to take something hot like noodles in

Yeah I'm so going to take some of those eggs tomorrow. Boiled eggs are an idea as well. I'm sure my friends love me enough to put up with the smell..!

Back