Ideas for Red please

WillowFae

Gold Member
Okay, so I have a veg problem. Apart from baked beans, peas, and leeks I don't like veg on its own. I need to have it with a gravy or a sauce or something. Leeks is the only one of those I can have on a red day for free so this is a problem.

If you are having a red day what do you have with your meat? Do you use an HEXB or some syns on potato/pasta/rice? Do you just have salads? Do you have veg and if so what and how is it served?

I have a Bird's Eye Piri Piri Chicken Chargrill in the freezer which I fancy but what do I have with it? In a previous life it would most likely have been baked beans and chips or mashed potato. Somehow gravy with a chicken chargrill doesn't seem right!!

I think I just need some inspiration.

I love those peri peri chargrills and i normally have them with a jacket potato or make wedges as a hex b. But sometimes i make stuffed peppers with quark and anything i have around like onion, mushroom tomato courgette. I mix it all up and stuff into the pepper then grate some cheese on top as hex and pop it in the oven! Yum!

I'm trying to avoid potatoes at the moment but I hadn't thought of the stuffed peppers idea. Will have to try that!

With my veg, if Im doing a roast, I will have 2tsp Tesco gravy granules at 2 syns. I will eat any veg then! Lol.

There are lots of veggies that you can have on a Red day..

Artichoke
Asparagus
Aubergine
Curly Kale
Endive
Fennel
Leeks
Mange Tout
Marrow

There are loads more in your Food Optimising book - you can have them roasted, stir fried, steamed

Hope this helps

Tracy

Yeah, the problem isn't so much what I can HAVE but what I like and the way I like them.

With my veg, if Im doing a roast, I will have 2tsp Tesco gravy granules at 2 syns. I will eat any veg then! Lol.

LOL! I'm similar with gravy. But like I said, gravy with a chicken chargrill doesn't seem right.

I only do RED days. If I am having a Roast I have Cauliflower/Broccoli/Carrot (frozen veg mix from Tesco (70p a pack)) with Gravy and 2 Yorkshire Puds ( 2 syns each). OR If having tin Stewed Steak I will have tinned Green Beans and Tinned Carrots. Also I have a salad daily mixed with synfree Kraft Light Italian or French Dressing, my salad involves some meat (Ham, Chicken etc) and a bag of salad mix or stir fry mix, cuc, radishes, tomatoes, onion, celery, hardboiled egg.
I miss sweetcorn and baked beans in particular and the amount you get for a HEB is soppy!
How many syns are the Peri Peri Chargrills each?
I also use potatoes as so versatile - mashed (with skins on), wedges, chips, etc
Also Bubble & Squeak is good if you are using HEB for Potatoes.

Jill

My staple red day fare is either broc & cauli mashed with Laughing Cow Light from your A allowance or I'll do a squash mash with a little fromage frais or sometimes squash & swede mash (usually when I'm doing a shepherd's pie or similar) with Greek 0% and a bit of cheese on top.

I also try and do a lot of stuff with hidden veg like a chilli or bolognese with grated carrot & grated courgette, chopped up mushrooms, etc to just hide it in there!

I also use 5g of Flora Extra Light (1/2 syn) on things like sprouts (with salt & pepper), babycorn or asparagus to make them more palatable.

Butternut squash is my stalwart on a red day (and on success express), you can have it mashed or roasted and it's super - have you tried this? It's superfree!

Why not make a bit of an italian style sauce for your veg - tinned tomatoes with some herbs poured over courgettes for example is lovely and would go well with your chicken chargrill. I use this type of sauce a lot as I'm not a fan of gravy but like a bit of sauce (ha ha!!)

Thanks, there are some good ideas. Hadn't thought of mashing cauliflower and brocolli.

Chilli and Bolognaise would be difficult without pot/rice/pasta etc

No, I don't like Butternut squash :(

I have a huge bowl of chilli or bolognaise on it's own! Just have lots of it and bulk it out with veg - you don't miss the carbs (well, I don't anyway!)

I like to have steamed brocolli and cauliflower with cheddar melting on top (1 HEa), it's yummy.

I have a huge bowl of chilli or bolognaise on it's own! Just have lots of it and bulk it out with veg - you don't miss the carbs (well, I don't anyway!)

True. I'll have to see if my local tesco still sell minced chicken or turkey. I'm trying to cut back on red meat for cholesterol reasons.

I often have a bit of salad cream to dip my veg in. It's unusual, but quite tasty. Just remember to syn it.

Tesco sells minced turkey. Or if you have a food processor, you can just blitz up turkey or chicken breast in there.

I agree that a bowl of chilli or bolognese is very filling on its own as long as you bulk it out!

Or you can do a chicken & veggie curry and serve it over cauli 'rice' (grate some cauliflower, stick in microwave bowl, cover and microwave for about 3-5 mins). Almost as good as rice!

Of course, you could just do Extra Easy days and have the pasta or rice with your meat but make sure to get that veg in there somewhere too.

Back